• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best aprés scene in the Poconos?

deepsouthmafia

Trying to plan a couple trips closer to home (already have a big Stowe trip planned). The wife and I like to have a couple adult beverages after a long day of skiing. A little live music never hurts. Any particular areas you would reccomend for a fun après scene?

tnt1234

How old are you guys? Kids aren't involved? Where are you coming from?

tnt1234

40-ish. Kids will not be coming. NJ.

If you are day tripping....

Blue Mountain renovated the upper lodge - I forget wha the call it - it's not at the summit, but they might call it the summit lodge actually....anyway, NOT the base lodge which is still a dump. And this upper lodge is really nice - nice bar with good beer on the second floor, and killer patio bar with fire pits on the back overlooking the beginner slope. There is also a nice-ish sit down restaurant with bar inside, first floor.

Can't really speak to the whole scene - I'm usually one and done on the back patio...but it's one of the nicer facilities. It's also pretty close - I'm also in NJ - central. So short ride home.

Camelback is famous - infamous - for their apres scene - thirsty camel in the main lodge. Live music, shot specials, the whole bit. Younger crowd, pretty rowdy. There also is a brew pub down the road that I've never been too but here it's OK.

Jack Frost has live music and a bar on the ground floor of the lodge, and a dive bar kind of place upstairs. Kind of a family mountain though, so lots of kids in the lodges at all times. Don't think it's much of a 'scene' as much as it's a 'let's sneak a drink while the kids are taking a last run' kind of place.

If you are spending the night, Camelback has a new hotel at the base. With a waterpark. So probably tons of families....But that would be a fun night - ski, hit the thirsty camel, slide down the beginner slope to the hotel and eat there....or uber to and from the brew pub....

I'm very familiar with the poconos, so happy to help in any way, but I'm always skiing there with my kids on day trips, so can't really be sure what happens after say 4:30.

FWIW, if you care about the quality of the skiing at all, Catskills are just an hour further and significantly better mountains.

Are you thinking day trip or overnight?

EDIT - Of course NONE of these places will be remotely like Stowe. Where are you staying there? I can speak to the apres scene at Stowe, so if you are looking for info on that, let me know.

BenedictGomez

if you care about the quality of the skiing at all, Catskills are just an hour further and significantly better mountains.

That's the best tip. Unfortunately for me, where I live in Jersey it's 1.5 hours farther, but I do it anyway.

Not in Poconos but Bear Creek is worth a look . Not very challenging hill but terrific venue. Also it's 20 minutes away from some larger towns,
Blue is a bit isolated in that respect.

https://www.bcmountainresort.com/

their lodge/facilities are new-ish, and very nice...used to live about 20 mins from there...also and icy sasquatch might be the most challenging run in PA lol

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
..also and icy sasquatch might be the most challenging run in PA lol

Had high hopes when they first cut that trail as a bump run but the double fall line doesn't work . They do a good job recent years by blowing a pile of snow on the top West side . Too many sideslippers LOL. They do a good job making snow all things considered.