• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Trend? Sunday River- Kickstarter Pass

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
http://www.sundayriver.com/winter/tickets-and-passes/season-passes/kickstarter-pass

With the most dependable snow in New England, you can count on great early-season skiing and riding at Sunday River every year. And with our new Kickstarter Pass, you can get unlimited skiing and riding every day from opening through December 24 at a great price.

Kickstarter Pass
Adult $159
Teen $129
Junior $99

That's a steal. And the fact that it goes through December 24th means you have a good chance of getting some quality skiing in. It was only a matter of time before early season passes became available, once Spring passes became a thing a few years ago. SR is probably looking to win-back some customers after last season's dumpster-fire early ops (they opened November 23...Killington opened October 25). It makes sense to get customers "in-the door" early so they get "hooked" sooner in the season. I'm very surprised there's no upgrade option to a full-season pass.

The next question...when does Killington offer a similar product? Maybe we'll see a Autumn/Spring pass combo for $300 in the future?

Smellytele

ss20;984751 The next question...when does Killington offer a similar product? Maybe we'll see a Autumn/Spring pass combo for $300 in the future?[/QUOTE said:
I was thinking the same thing on K. Also I might be interested in the a/s combo

KustyTheKlown

autumn/spring K pass in the ~$300 price point would be awesome. and then I'd get to use more mid winter max pass days there and not hoarde for superstar spring sessions

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I was thinking the same thing on K. Also I might be interested in the a/s combo

It would be great for a person like me who has a MAX pass but wants to retain a "home" mountain. I will certainly use up all 5 days of my MAX pass at Killington and more than likely will get a Spring pass. However I would never commit to a full season pass for Killington because I live in CT 4 hours away and, at most, would ski 12-15 days there a season. The MAX pass gives me day-tripping options, and "destination" resort options. But with the Spring pass at Killington I can still get my K fill.

Early season is fun at Killington but I am a PSIA instructor and get 50% off the window rate. I can justify paying $30-$50 for a few trails down Snowdon. So while it makes financial sense for me to get a dirt-cheap Spring pass when I know I'll ski more than 4 days at Killington, I don't have that same inclination early season. I will ski a day or two in November to get my "fix" but no more than that. If you're part of the general public a cheap early-season pass is a no-brainer, IMO.

machski

This isn't SR's only partial season offering this year. They also have the Holiday Pass for Christmas through New Year's. I have a feeling targeted period passes may be blossoming. After Vail's growth with driving full pass sales, passes seem to be the new rage in the industry. It makes sense as you lock in at least some revenue when these are purchased regardless if the buyer actual comes out to ski/ride.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

If SR was anywhere near me I'd jump on that deal.

Killington would need to do closer to $250 for early/late season for me to bite.. and it would depend on the dates.

shelabo

*had*

The Holiday Pass is no longer available.

This isn't SR's only partial season offering this year. They also have the Holiday Pass for Christmas through New Year's. I have a feeling targeted period passes may be blossoming. After Vail's growth with driving full pass sales, passes seem to be the new rage in the industry. It makes sense as you lock in at least some revenue when these are purchased regardless if the buyer actual comes out to ski/ride.

Jully

I like the idea of specialized passes too. I think it is a win-win-win. The ski resort gets money from clients who would otherwise be pretty weather dependent. The average skier buying the pass gets to save on holiday vacations. The season pass holder for the rest of the year likely avoids those dates anyways and gets more money out of the resort for better upgrades (#3 is a stretch).

Jully

If SR was anywhere near me I'd jump on that deal.

Killington would need to do closer to $250 for early/late season for me to bite.. and it would depend on the dates.

Isn't $210 the price of the spring pass alone this year? I suspect in 2 years the spring pass alone will cost $250, never mind a fall add on :sad:

Vortex

They have the millennial pass, The Holiday, Early Season, Late Season. Seems like they have it covered. Good Deals. I still am in on the Gold.

cdskier

Terrific idea to grab some people that are regular passholders at other mountains but that want to ski early before their home mountain opens. If I lived closer, definitely something I would seriously consider. I can't justify the early season lift ticket prices, but a pass like this would be tempting.

skiur

I don't think Killington could handle an early season pass. Weekends with the limited terrain it's already beyond a zoo. Especially when the stairway to heaven is still in use. They have steadily increased their early season walk up rate to try and keep crowds down. Add a cheap pass and the line at the glades triple would be down to Snowdon!

drjeff

Risky proposition as well though... Being 100% honest, most resorts get their largest complaints about crowding on the slopes in the early season before any significant snowmaking and/or natural snowfall enabling expansion has happened.... Now possibly adding more people to this? Might end up with a photo that looked like the opening day pictures from A-Basin last Friday, and/or make the typical Thanksgiving Weekend human slalom that used to occur on Bunny Buster (although last year the crew watching the World Cup had the on hill volume at K not nearly the scary crowd density it used to be)... The WROD could become the WRODD (white ribbon of double death!)

Not a bad marketing move by SR, but one that also makes one wonder if it's being done because their pass sales are off???

bdfreetuna

Yeah it's already $199 if you buy before the pass March 17 (when it becomes valid). I'd imagine $300 for a combo is more than fair.

Correct. However there are some folks in the market, like me, who will adjust their skiing preferences willingly depending on who's got the best deals.

While I can see that $300 is a reasonable price point, I would still probably pass and diversify my spring skiing (I get good deals at Jay Peak already, for example). Get the price right and cheapskates like me will jump on it and Jay Peak loses my spring business for that year.

machski

Risky proposition as well though... Being 100% honest, most resorts get their largest complaints about crowding on the slopes in the early season before any significant snowmaking and/or natural snowfall enabling expansion has happened.... Now possibly adding more people to this? Might end up with a photo that looked like the opening day pictures from A-Basin last Friday, and/or make the typical Thanksgiving Weekend human slalom that used to occur on Bunny Buster (although last year the crew watching the World Cup had the on hill volume at K not nearly the scary crowd density it used to be)... The WROD could become the WRODD (white ribbon of double death!)

Not a bad marketing move by SR, but one that also makes one wonder if it's being done because their pass sales are off???
Highly doubt it's due to slow pass sales. They have a bunch of in season, partial pass offerings this year. With weekend/holiday window tickets hitting $105, seems like the new game is on lots of different pass products. Makes sense, if they sell them the resort makes that $$ whether people ski or not on them. Vail has ridden this to success. In the East with lots of resorts to choose from in a relatively small area, makes sense to sell a pass product when you are normally ahead of others. Yup, until we are TTB off Locke or Barker, weekend lines could become even worse on Locke triple with the poor download capacity and need to slow the chair for foot load/unloads. But mostly, they have improved lower coverage to the point where that typically only lasts for the opening day then a weekend or 2. May also be due to the late start they got off to last year Nov. 25th or so due to Locke being down for overhaul.

Smellytele

Well if you could get a cheap early season at one place, Cheap later season pass at another and then either a cheap regular season pass or max type or freedom pass. You could make a good run of it for cheaper than a full season pass to 1 mountain that also adds great variety.

Well if you could get a cheap early season at one place, Cheap later season pass at another and then either a cheap regular season pass or max type or freedom pass. You could make a good run of it for cheaper than a full season pass to 1 mountain that also adds great variety.

Could work in Maine
Sunday River early season with new pass-often the best early season snow
Black Mountain of Maine for the middle of the year
Sugarloaf has offered a late season pass and they have some of the best Spring conditions