• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is the MOST SKI DAYS you’ve got in a season?

deepsouthmafia

IDK. Just because they are “working days.” Admittedly, I am fairly ignorant, but are patrollers really out there spinning laps on the clock? Like, does side stepping around and ski cutting and adjusting the mats on lift towers, etc, really count as skiing?
I do’nt AT ALL want to discount what patrol does- utmost respect. But I wonder if they themselves would count a work day as a ski day.

Jully

IDK. Just because they are “working days.” Admittedly, I am fairly ignorant, but are patrollers really out there spinning laps on the clock? Like, does side stepping around and ski cutting and adjusting the mats on lift towers, etc, really count as skiing?
I do’nt AT ALL want to discount what patrol does- utmost respect. But I wonder if they themselves would count a work day as a ski day.

Are you a patroller? If you are and you think your patrol days count as ski days, then they do, if they don't, they don't. Ski days are totally subjective to the person who's skiing!

deepsouthmafia

Thats a great point.
No, I am not. Totally not that much of a bada**, like not at all. LOL

ironhippy

They spent the day on skis why wouldn't they count as a ski day?

Although patrollers work hard, they also get to ski from place to place (how else do they end up at the lift towers, etc.)

They also don't spend 100% of their time doing tasks, the patrollers on my small local hill do little more than ski runs and respond to the occasional incident.

You've already seen the answer to your last thought at TGR when numerous people responded that they had 100+ day seasons because they worked patrol or as an instructor, so yes they would consider them ski days.

One caveat is, there is a patroller (who may be the head guy) at my hill who I've only ever seen riding a snowmobile, so I don't know if he counts them as ski days, but he's not really who we are talking about.

cdskier

Yes, ski patrol "working" days should definitely count if the patroller was on skis that day. I see no reason why they wouldn't.

deepsouthmafia

You guys are much better at explaining this stuff. Over there, they just get defensive and start slinging insults. LOL.
I’m on board. Patrol days count. Locked in.

drjeff

In the past I haven't counted earn your turn days but may going forward as I hope to have more of them.
I totally count earn your turns days as ski days!! Heck, in reality those are probably way more of an athletic day on the hill than some lift served days over the course of a season!!

To me, if I'm on the hill with my skis on, sliding downhill on some snow, even if it's just for 1 or 2 quick runs (done that on some seriously ugly wet weather, windy days before) it counts as a ski day. I don't need #X runs or #Y vertical feet to make it an "official" ski day in my book. Just simply was I sliding downhill on a frozen surface while in my boots on my skis that day

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

I skied on every day of the week that ends in a "Y" so I guess I skied all of them
That's one of my annual goals - ski at least once during the season on every day of the week.... Depending on what day of the week Christmas and New Year's falls on that year, historically Thursday is the day of the week that it takes me to check off that goal given my typical work schedule and my kids race/race training schedule

Edd

I totally count earn your turns days as ski days!! Heck, in reality those are probably way more of an athletic day on the hill than some lift served days over the course of a season!!

To me, if I'm on the hill with my skis on, sliding downhill on some snow, even if it's just for 1 or 2 quick runs (done that on some seriously ugly wet weather, windy days before) it counts as a ski day. I don't need #X runs or #Y vertical feet to make it an "official" ski day in my book. Just simply was I sliding downhill on a frozen surface while in my boots on my skis that day

Agree with entire post. I’ve only skinned up 3 days in my life, dressed properly, but sweating like it was Florida in July. There’s a huge difference between hiking and ascending a hill with skis and boots on.

cdskier

Excellent point. I've had one and done days in the past due to conditions and they definitely still counted in my "ski days" total.