• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trip out west

xlr8r

I recommend Steamboat as well, fun town, never overcrowded, varied terrain even though no true steeps, and a visit to Strawberry hot springs is a must do if you go.

I second the "Cat". Stay in the city or in the suburbs at the base of BCC and LCC, so many lodging and dining options, not to mention transportation too.

dlague

The question is rather vague. When you travel is important. There are literally lots of choices and depending on weather patterns the place youbyravel to can be make or break a trip. For example, February has been lean on the snow side in Colorado the past few years while March has been great. Tahoe was in a snow drought for a. Couple years then got pounded last season. I have been to Banff and that is another option but it too can be tough if there are low snow levels which was the case when I was there. If you can hold tight on making plans then you can see where the white gold hits. I think all places mentioned are good ideas. It is a roll of the dice booking early.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

Save money, go to Jay Peak or Quebec, more and better woods there anyway if that's what you're looking for.
While tongue in cheek, it’s not too far off.

The east has better trees (tighter, no tree well to worry about). Jay has the snow to rival many western mountain. So for anyone who love trees but hasn’t been to Jay, that should be a first choice.

Jay’s cruiser left a lot to be desired though. And forget about place to eat nearby.

Out west, Steamboat would be my top recommendation.

Jcb890

Important: snowfall, trees, cruisers and places to eat...

And you guys are seriously suggesting Jay Peak over Western resorts? I know this is a New England-centric forum mostly, but let's be honest here. Jay may have the snowFALL to match some Western resorts in a good winter, but in order for Jay to come close to anything out West conditions-wise you need to hit it absolutely perfectly. Most people prefer the nicely spaced trees out West and not having to deal with branches coming out everywhere trying to stab your eyeballs out and snag your jacket. That can be personal preference though I guess, so I'll give you the trees argument for New England if that's what you prefer. Places to eat? At Jay? Haha! Cruisers? Jay's widest trails don't touch what you'll find out West.

Let's be real folks. :beer:

Smellytele

Important: snowfall, trees, cruisers and places to eat...

And you guys are seriously suggesting Jay Peak over Western resorts? I know this is a New England-centric forum mostly, but let's be honest here. Jay may have the snowFALL to match some Western resorts in a good winter, but in order for Jay to come close to anything out West conditions-wise you need to hit it absolutely perfectly. Most people prefer the nicely spaced trees out West and not having to deal with branches coming out everywhere trying to stab your eyeballs out and snag your jacket. That can be personal preference though I guess, so I'll give you the trees argument for New England if that's what you prefer. Places to eat? At Jay? Haha! Cruisers? Jay's widest trails don't touch what you'll find out West.

Let's be real folks. :beer:

Cruisers don't need to be wide. I think curvy when I think cruisers.

Jcb890

When I think of a "cruiser" I think of something nicely groomed and WIDE so you can cruise and not have to worry about other skiers/riders. Out West you'll find trails you could park a bus or 3 across. That's not to say we don't have nice groomers to cruise here on the East Coast also, but again, not comparable.

cdskier

Right...I'd consider Jester at Sugarbush a nice cruiser for example...definitely not a wide trail by any means. "Wide" would have never been in my list of "cruiser requirements".

ThinkSnow

Salt Lake City area (with a rental car)

Best place for families: Brighton (includes snowfall, trees, cruisers/groomers, steeps), with plenty of other resort options nearby

Restaurants? SLC & Park City

Hawk

Right...I'd consider Jester at Sugarbush a nice cruiser for example...definitely not a wide trail by any means. "Wide" would have never been in my list of "cruiser requirements".
Most cruisers are wider and groomed. I am with Jcb890. You only have to go to places like Sunday River, Okemo or Stratton to understand the true nature of cruisers. Those mountains claim to fame is all about cruisers. Trails like Jester are very few and far between. Not saying I like wide crusiers, just that most people would agree that usually they are wider so you can let it go and not be afraid.

cdskier

Most cruisers are wider and groomed. I am with Jcb890. You only have to go to places like Sunday River, Okemo or Stratton to understand the true nature of cruisers. Those mountains claim to fame is all about cruisers. Trails like Jester are very few and far between. Not saying I like wide crusiers, just that most people would agree that usually they are wider so you can let it go and not be afraid.

I agree that usually they are wider, but I still don't think they "have" to be wider to be considered a cruiser. The "problem" (from my pov) with wide cruisers at a place like Okemo is that they all start to feel the same after a while. I wish there were more cruisers like Jester just because I think those type of cruisers have much more character. Ideally a ski area should have a few different types of cruisers to offer some nice variety.

Jcb890

I agree that usually they are wider, but I still don't think they "have" to be wider to be considered a cruiser. The "problem" (from my pov) with wide cruisers at a place like Okemo is that they all start to feel the same after a while. I wish there were more cruisers like Jester just because I think those type of cruisers have much more character. Ideally a ski area should have a few different types of cruisers to offer some nice variety.
No disagreements there from me. I haven't ridden Jester, but it sounds like a trail I'd enjoy.

cdskier

So just to get back on topic...did the OP ever come back to this thread? I know some people asked for more info as it was a pretty broad question without many specifics. Lots of good suggestions were provided too...