• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early Season Snowmaking 2017

Who will be open by early next week? (you can choose multiple)

• Killington

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Sugarloaf

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Okemo

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Loon

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Jay

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Bretton Woods

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mount Snow

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Jiminy Peak

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Wildcat

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Woodbury

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Another hill that doesn't usually partake in early season action

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

asnowmobiler

From Hunter.

[h=3]Daily Conditions Report[/h][FONT=&quot]UPDATE 11/10/2017[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We fired up the snow guns early this morning, and they're currently making snow from summit to base on Hell Gate, Broadway, Kennedy and Fifth Ave! Stay tuned for more updates as they become available, and don't forget your Peak Pass and 3X Card! Details below.[/FONT]

Jcb890

Agreed. The only Max Pass resort I Maxed (totally intentional) out last year was Sunday River.

Part of that was being hesitant to use it early season and wanting to save the days for 'better' conditions, which is not the strategy I will take this year.

I only ended up at Loon two days last year. It's an easy drive and I like skiing there, so assuming they are able to be open TTB next weekend, I'll likely use a day there.

Time to make this year's version of my spreadsheet I used to make my decisions last year.

-w
In New England, I only used all 5 at Killington last season. I won't use 1 of my 5 for early season at Killington or Sunday River (only hit SR once last year), I'm thinking I'll save those for better conditions. Definitely looking forward to trying Sunday River with all/most of the mountain open since most of it was closed when we went (Spring riding).

We also enjoyed Loon and it isn't a bad drive for us either (also Central MA, just South of you if you're in Lowell).

drjeff

I saw Mike's explanation and its a good honest response to the questions and critiques. He admits that the World Cup prep is slowing down snowmaking expansion off the ridge, as we could all pretty easily infer from their operations. There's two crews and everything, but only for the ridge and SS.

The trade off that he offers though, is that once the world cup is over, all that extra capacity goes towards very rapid expansion. K might have the least amount of terrain open to the public on Thanksgiving, but by December 20th they'll have the most.

There's a good chance that K will get all of the snow made on Superstar in the next few days, and then you'll see K being able to put some of the snowmaking resources they're using for Superstar towards expansion, as while K does need to get Skyelark open for World Cup training space, that doesn't take up nearly as much capacity as Superstar currently is.

My hunch is, as they've done in years past, once K really goes into expansion mode, you'll see the acres and miles really start adding up quickly on their snowreport!

xlr8r

Wawa to open, I now know what I'm doing Sunday. Still haven't had had my skis tuned, and still searching for new boots, but that is not gonna stop me.

The only mountain in the east I have MAX'd out on has been Loon both the last 2 years, as they are the best day trip option IMO from the Boston area. Over two years skiing exclusively on MAX Pass, my distribution has been:

10 Loon
5 Steamboat
5 Killington
4 Wachusett
3 Sunapee
2 Pico
2 Stratton
2 Sunday River
1 Okemo
1 Sugarloaf

Zand

At wachusett right now on lunch break to pick up pass and check out the guns. Full attack on conifer, Indian summer, Challenger, Ralph's, and Ollie's. Also it's food truck festival weekend so no reason not to be here Sunday.

WJenness

Damn.

Mount Snow is not messing around.

"What happens when you combine favorable temps with the most powerful snowmaking system in the East? The result is a November 11th opening, as well as planning to kick off the season with the most terrain open in the East at more than 100 acres!"

https://www.mountsnow.com/ski-ride/snow-report/

For those doing math, that's over 14 times the acreage that K currently has open. We'll see what they can do overnight.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
What happens when you combine favorable temps with the most powerful snowmaking system in the East? The result is a November 11th opening. See you all tomorrow!

This wouldn't be possible without our new snowmaking system which underwent $30 million in upgrades, and a hard working team to pull it all off. Our snowmakers have been working endlessly this week to provide that perfect snow product on trails such as Cascade, Canyon, Freefall, Long John, Deer Run, River Run, Little John, and Launch Pad, with more planned to open through the weekend and beyond.

Carinthia Parks, named the number one terrain park in the East by Transworld Snowboarding and Newschoolers.com, will also open with features from top-to-bottom on The Gulch, along with additional features on Long John. The planned feature count will give us 14 total, which will offer the most variety in the East. Carinthia will not have parking this week, so plan to start your day at the Main Base Lodge.

With our opening day falling on Veteran's Day, we would like to celebrate your service and invite anyone with a military ID to ski or ride for free this Saturday.

Jully

What happens when you combine favorable temps with the most powerful snowmaking system in the East? The result is a November 11th opening. See you all tomorrow!

This wouldn't be possible without our new snowmaking system which underwent $30 million in upgrades, and a hard working team to pull it all off. Our snowmakers have been working endlessly this week to provide that perfect snow product on trails such as Cascade, Canyon, Freefall, Long John, Deer Run, River Run, Little John, and Launch Pad, with more planned to open through the weekend and beyond.

Carinthia Parks, named the number one terrain park in the East by Transworld Snowboarding and Newschoolers.com, will also open with features from top-to-bottom on The Gulch, along with additional features on Long John. The planned feature count will give us 14 total, which will offer the most variety in the East. Carinthia will not have parking this week, so plan to start your day at the Main Base Lodge.

With our opening day falling on Veteran's Day, we would like to celebrate your service and invite anyone with a military ID to ski or ride for free this Saturday.

Sounds exciting! Love that you both were able to complete the upgrade AND are using the new system aggressively!

asnowmobiler

I wish they would update and let us know soon, I’m packed and ready to leave at 5Am heading to Mount Snow or Hunter possibly if they open.
Staying home and going to blue would be m y first choice.

Are they trying to open on Sunday or tomorrow? They are all out on Main Street tonight.

WoodCore

Not open for another week+......Stratton is laying it down!

Straton 11102017.jpg