• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What should you carry when you ski in the woods alone?

freeski

In the end I hiked around and back out, very thirsty and kicking myself for my stupidity.
View attachment 22836

There are points where you're dead tired2from skiing, dehydrated, disoriented, scared, alone and you think you're going to die...

Out west you have heavy pockets of evergreens (never skied west of the Hudson). Here we have open hardwood stands, so a strobe or a small flare (flares always say, help). A whistle makes a lot of sense on rocky open cliffs.

crank

Carrying a whistle makes sense. Skiing alone in the woods does not.

Has that always stopped me? No it hasn't. But it does make me more cautious and conservative in what lines I ski and how hard I charge.

What I carry:

Whistle on my front zipper pull.
waterproof matches
water
cell phone
extra layers
space blanket
some trail mix or protein bars

bigbog

"In the woods" can be interpreted into many degrees of remoteness, however a heavy-duty knife or hatchet with lighter, battery, a little steel wool can usually get a fire going, in case one gets lost.....which makes the point of a local map and compass/gps hw. Above all...water and a few munchies, either for lunch/supper or overnight helps. The whistle makes a lot of sense too.

crank

Yeah I forgot I always have a compass and multi tool in my pack.

We started carrying whistles after a bit of a tree well scare out in Whitefish.

SIKSKIER

I have a built in whistle that is louder than any manmade one!Oh,my phone has a compass and satelite gps and Google Earth and music.Just weighed it.Only 5 oz.1 can of beer weighs at least 10.I'd switch out to southern comfort instead.Saved my life one night in the woods by getting a fire going with real wet surroundings.It was tough pouring that on the wood though.