• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What should you carry when you ski in the woods alone?

freeski

Food, beer, flashlight, paper trail map, candle, fire proof matches - screw cap with a good O-ring, beer, beacon. Batteries. Milfagram,money to reward a rescuer..
Now if your hitting Robin's nest glade at Cannon or Squeez play at Killington or worries. Butt if in deep on Blind Ambition. You need to be careful. Also, a Warlock lived across the stream from old cemetary near the twin bridges. He had a strawberry Blond Wolf. Also bears

Edd

Actually one of my jackets had a whistle built onto the zipper. Carrying a whistle when you’re off trail seems wise.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

freeski

A cell phone? Not a guarantee to have service, but would feel pretty dumb stuck some where and then found out there was service.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Please don't take this the wrong way... I never ever ski with a phone. Way too much weight. I like to know the mountain. So, I study it the way many people do on this site. What you don't know is different on big mountains. The guys I ski with can meet at a verbally agreed to spot. So, "I have to meet up..." doesn't hold water. After sleeping on it I would switch beer for Jack D.... and a huge dog with a barrel of beer on it's collar.

freeski

The picture above the Atomic Nomads is not finished. I call it buying legal weed in Maine.

State Tree: White Pine
State Bird:2Chick-a-dee
Moto: "the way life should be:.

Abominable

Actually one of my jackets had a whistle built onto the zipper. Carrying a whistle when you’re off trail seems wise.

This right here. I'm not sure if I ever posted this here but meant to... I was skiing out west, alone but following some people, kind of sidecountry, kind of stupid but calculated risk... but I miscalculated, zigged when they had zagged and found myself on an open, sketchy (AV) face and just straighlined it.

Now I'm at the bottom, day getting long, snowmobiled in the distance, looking down a long power line route that was too flat to ski and to deep to walk.... In the end I hiked around and back out, very thirsty and kicking myself for my stupidity.

Since then a little flat plastic whistle is permanently in my ski jacket. Even just a place like Slide Brook or woods at Magic... something goes wrong I think a whistle is the minimum, just something so you don't scream yourself hoarse and it's an obvious distress signal (as opposed to just shouting in the woods).

You never know......

frozen.jpg

Cornhead

Weed and a lighter.
[emoji106]

I have something like this my brother gave me. I thought it would be good to bring to Colorado in case I fell in a tree well. It hurts your ears if blown indoors. You'd be glad you had it if you needed to attract attention.
aeb0df823bd57ba6cca04145c55bd3fd.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app