• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River So Far

Jcb890

FB Messenger response:

The only peaks that are closed on the 16th are Aurora and Jordan (Jordan Hotel dining/accommodation still open). All other peaks/lodges should be open!

Nice!
Their FB Messenger responses have been great the last couple of weeks. Kudos to them for that.

Riverveteran

They got a lot of use out of that new deck!

Today, I talked with the cook up at North Peak Lodge. They will be open April 1, closed April 2, completely, no weekends, nada. At the North Peak Lodge. He was also pretty certain April 15 would do it for South Ridge.(Passholder BBQ).

That's all I got, other than a short day of harder than usual skiing. Got too much to do today....

machski

So I was up Friday but missed the weekend. Heard they already shut Oz Quad, Quantum Triple and Jordan Double for the year this weekend. From the sounds of it, they could have used all three Saturday. With all the snow and conditions plus the slow rollout of terrain this year, I would have thought they'd have kept those in play this weekend. Guess the late season ops have started to kick in already. I know sister resort Loon is shuttering South Peak midweek starting tomorrow. Poor.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

There today. Crowds weren't bad at all today thankfully, never more than a 5 minute wait at the major lifts that I saw (though I avoided Barker from 10 to 11:30).

Jordan was 3 people to a chair, so something is up with the motor there.

SkiFanE

Fabulous weeekend at the River. 1-2" was nice little frosting Saturday night. So many options, so much open. Bumps are beautiful. Woods are decent but showing their age lol. Those times when bumps aren't coated with crust after inevetiable rain or thaw is rare - so go get it if you can.

Riverveteran

From Sunday River webpage:

Weekend of April 14-15
Skiing on all eight peaks. Last weekend for skiing on Aurora, Oz and Jordan Bowl, and last weekend for the Peak Lodge, Mountain Room, and Foggy Goggle.

Not even close, last several years it has been North Peak East. Aurora/Jordan/Oz have been closed after first weekend in April. Maybe with Easter early we get the 7-8 fully open but no way we will for Passholder BBQ.

2Planker

Yup, 2011 - They sold our friends from NY (8 people) 2 condo's for Sunday thru Thurs, and then had no services to offer after Monday.... They couldn't even complain to anyone. Place was shut up tighter than a drum for Tues- Fri. They ended up day tripping over to Wildcat for 4 days where they skiing was spectacular. Sad, they'll always remember that. Good people, who spend $$$$$ at ski resorts, and will prob never go back to SR

Been at least 5 years since they were open all week for MA Vaca, maybe even longer.

SkiFanE

Been at least 5 years since they were open all week for MA Vaca, maybe even longer.

i think last year of it was right after Boyne bought it. We went once and it's not very busy. And that week can get lots of rain if I remember. My kids are done with skiing by then. There'd be uprising if we dragged them up there for a week - so not ever happening.

Jully

Meh, they get a crowd, it seems to go well, but I don't drink, so.... I don't really go there. I ski.

Specifically wondering about crowds on that day on the trails/at the lifts. I would assume it is more crowded than a typical early-mid April weekend, but not bad. that seems to be roughly what you're saying too, if I'm understanding you.

shwilly

Specifically wondering about crowds on that day on the trails/at the lifts. I would assume it is more crowded than a typical early-mid April weekend, but not bad. that seems to be roughly what you're saying too, if I'm understanding you.

I expect that the only crowd that weekend will be in front of the stage. Crowds should be minimal on trails and lifts from here on out. (That said, I was surprised that last Saturday was a midwinter Saturday type of crowd.)

Riverveteran

White Cap get's crowded

machski

Went skiing yesterday (of course). We ranged from Shockwave to Excalibur, skipping Oz (We can only ski so many trails in a day, eh?). The snow was interesting. Well groomed and pack in the morning, transitioning to corn snow (piles) over the base before noon. It made for some of the most controlled skiing down White Heat and other steeps we have ever done. Brown spots are appearing, car sized and larger. They appear not to have enough Bamboo to mark them all. Bombing over rises and ridges became less .... well, we were just less inclined to leap before we looked, as it were. Overall, the skiing was fun, and going around the growing brown spots became a fun challenge for us.

At Jordan, we saw the runout from Lolopalooza, beneath Excalibur, was all brown. We felt no need to ski lolop. On the way back, across Kansas, it is thin. We crossed a good deal of ice there. Didn't have to pole, which was nice. But it is thin, and it is raining now. NO place to gather snow and push it back onto the trail, except at the top of the Oz lift. Not even sure they will do that. Friday's 6" forecast has been downgraded to 1-3". Not gonna be much help. And then there is a ton of rain int he forecast. I think Mother Nature is going to have a good deal of sway in the final ski schedule for the season.

Currently, all the glades are closed and most of the dedicated bumps runs are closed (Agony, Top Gun, others). Just not enough snow coverage. The bumps on the side of White Heat softened up yesterday on skier's right, and were fun. We had to pay attention to bare areas and ski around them on the trail and back into them. That's just what it is these days.
You cannot believe forecasts at this time of year until the storm is on us. Could swing back up for Friday. And early next week is on the fence right now, could go either r or snow. Right Stuff and Ecstacy/Punch and MM have great base depth (rocking chair too obviously) but I was surprised by the lack of deph on Cascade this past weekend. And the fact the microwave rocks are out on WH and how thin the very top of Obsession was does not bode well if the r materializes for that to stay in play much longer.

machski

I just looked at the Sunday River website. It clearly shows Agony, Top Gun and all of OZ open. I don't think I remember it that way yesterday....

I rode Barker Sunday afternoon and was thinking of making Locke LIne/Crossbow/Tightwire my last run. My chair partner was a patroller so I decided to ask him if those runs were open. He said not to his knowledge, that they hadn't been checked yet but that he just opened Agony. He asked what the trail report said for LL/CB/TW, I told him they showed as open from first chair and he said that isn't right. Given that, I wouldn't put too much stock into the trail report right now. If they can't get it straight on the weekend, I doubt midweek is any better with less patrol staff to check ungroomed runs.

machski

So skied today, they have done a great job with grooming and these cold temps! Barely any bare spots anywhere, looks like midwinter. Only groomers for the most part today, though lower Bims off Salvation was open ungroomed. Actually wasn't too bad. Not sure I'd want to do Agony full length like it, but was better than it looked. Skied the bumps on lower Risky and they were good too, especially in the smoother lines. Snow started around 330 at the base, around 2 in Jordan. About 2 inches at the base so far and still coming down. Time for BrewFest!