• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

cdskier

Every mountain in Vermont will be ice skating tomorrow.

Can't speak for southern vt, but sugarbush was great today. Really far exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jcb890

Can't speak for southern vt, but sugarbush was great today. Really far exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Conditions should be good through Friday, but then Friday afternoon/evening it'll all switch to rain, then right back to below freezing on Saturday... that could be dangerous, but I hope not.

bdfreetuna

Conditions should be good through Friday, but then Friday afternoon/evening it'll all switch to rain, then right back to below freezing on Saturday... that could be dangerous, but I hope not.

Where? I think Sugarbush gets mostly snow out of this.

Southern VT gets a net equal effect through Christmas, although the cycle should create a nice base with a fluffy layer on top. The question is are we going to end up with dust on crust or something much better.

Northern VT and maybe anywhere Killington north gets a big win. Probably some ice pellets mixed in but overall I think we'll be a lot better off in a week than we are now. Even at Killington there should be enough snow before any mixed precip occurs that it's just going to lock in an awesome base for the New Year.

Jcb890

Where? I think Sugarbush gets mostly snow out of this.

Southern VT gets a net equal effect through Christmas, although the cycle should create a nice base with a fluffy layer on top. The question is are we going to end up with dust on crust or something much better.

Northern VT and maybe anywhere Killington north gets a big win. Probably some ice pellets mixed in but overall I think we'll be a lot better off in a week than we are now. Even at Killington there should be enough snow before any mixed precip occurs that it's just going to lock in an awesome base for the New Year.
Agreed now that I look again. Originally they were predicting much more rain across New England, but I guess temps are maybe staying lower than they originally predicted?

slatham

Agreed now that I look again. Originally they were predicting much more rain across New England, but I guess temps are maybe staying lower than they originally predicted?

Sorry guys but all current forecast models have 850mb temps (approx 5,000') above freezing Saturday afternoon. It might freeze or re-freeze in the lower levels if the cold air doesn't get scoured out but it ain't gonna be snow, all the way to the Canadian border.

Now the models can be wrong.

And for sure north of I90 it's a net gainer.

NYDB

I can assure you that he/she does not work for us. We gave him the :beer: emoji, because we liked what he had said.

Also, I agree with Deadheadskier (nice name by the way, I'm normally the one that puts on The Dead over the entire base area music system!) Let's not make this tread about which mountain you like the best, because that is something that will never be solved on a forum. We started this tread to be able to answer your questions, respond to rumors you may have hears, and to give you all an inside line on activites and snowmaking on-hill.

I'll also let you in on a little secret, we ski Killi from time to time...

Back when I worked for ASC I hit both mountains all the time since i lived in between. How can you not love the ol Beartrap bumps on a nice sunny march day?

chuckstah

I have a couple of questions for Mt Snow. As of this morning about 67% of terrain was listed as open including some natural terrain. What % of your terrain is covered by snowmaking? Also, are the woods and glade skiing areas included in the total acreage reported as open as some areas do? I really like the early season effort and hope to get a lot more days in this season.

mbedle

I have a couple of questions for Mt Snow. As of this morning about 67% of terrain was listed as open including some natural terrain. What % of your terrain is covered by snowmaking? Also, are the woods and glade skiing areas included in the total acreage reported as open as some areas do? I really like the early season effort and hope to get a lot more days in this season.

Pretty sure the answer is 80% and no.

bdfreetuna

Good up there today. Skied Thanks Walt and Bear Trap completely untouched (1st runs) and it was cool seeing my arcs riding back up the Bear Trap chair. Good snow all day. Skied a couple woods... one on Carinthia which was good with caution. Olympic Woods was borderline and not recommended unless skiing bony woods is one of your specialties. You had to go light on the edges and stay alert for sure.

We'll see how the weather pans out, could be good once again for Christmas.

drjeff

That's the thing with the woods + natural trails now... While Mount Snow is closing in on 2 feet of natural the last 2 weeks, the initial 18" or so fell on basically bare ground and it was really light density snow... Then the wind blew it around, finally today and tonight, some semi dense to dense, good base snow is falling. Hopefully then with not too much liquid tomorrow afternoon, and then some light density snow on Christmas day, the naturals and trees will be good, with a base, and it will be Christmas week at if not 100% open than really close!!

And while I didn't ski today due to my 5:45PM arrival time, I will say that the log of Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout aged with maple chips that they tapped up in the Station Taproom today, that I went over to the base lodge to enjoy post drive up, was PHENOMENAL!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com

80% and yes, some of our gladed areas are reported as our acreage.

chuckstah

80% and yes, some of our gladed areas are reported as our acreage.
Thanks for the quick response. I'll be there Tuesday for a day before my pass is blacked out for a few days. Hopefully you can finish off the rest of the snow making trails in the upcoming cold spell. The new system is impressive.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Thanks for the quick response. I'll be there Tuesday for a day before my pass is blacked out for a few days. Hopefully you can finish off the rest of the snow making trails in the upcoming cold spell. The new system is impressive.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

We've done it. We've made snow on all of our snowmaking terrain. Now we just going back and touching up a few spots like Bear Trap and Hop, as well as making some for the Super Pipe and Inferno Jumps builds which are going on now.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Not sure if you can answer, but with what you accomplished this year with the upgraded system, is the future plan to expand snowmaking to 100%?

That is in fact the plan. No firm timeline for 100%, but we hope to continue expansion work this summer. It's either that, or continue to drag hoses through the woods, but that get's old after awhile.