• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Cue the Crickets awfully quiet in here!!!!

Sorry, we replied to your same question on our internal forum, so we thought it was covered. We're going to be firing up for a quick resurface on Friday using our fangun fleet. The plan is to give the mountain a quick resurface, but not go overboard because things are slated to warm up once again for the weekend. After that, we're going to take a look at the temps for next week and evaluate a major resurface. No sense in going full bore if it's just going to melt out again. We want to fire up as much as you do, but we'd rather it stick around if we're going to do things properly.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
No snowmaking til the weekend and lots of lift holds according to today's report. Not worth the gas money for me today. Off to Crotched instead.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Yeah that wind has really be giving us what for. Try as we might, we can't control the wind! Have fun at Crotched. That's the beauty of the Peak Pass, you can go where you feel!

slatham

First off anyone with a weather app could determine the "weekend snowmaking" quote was a mistake.

My 2c - does it make sense to pound the mountain with a major resurfacing for just Saturday, given the forecast for warm on Saturday and non-frozen on Sunday, and then cold weather the following week? No it doesn't. You touch up and groom for this weekend and look to when the pattern might shift to more sustainable cold and then you go major.

That said, you also need to be flexible. The forecast for the weekend is shifting colder, less non-frozen (none on some models) and maybe a little snow. So the worry about a weekend melt is declining.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
First off anyone with a weather app could determine the "weekend snowmaking" quote was a mistake.

My 2c - does it make sense to pound the mountain with a major resurfacing for just Saturday, given the forecast for warm on Saturday and non-frozen on Sunday, and then cold weather the following week? No it doesn't. You touch up and groom for this weekend and look to when the pattern might shift to more sustainable cold and then you go major.

That said, you also need to be flexible. The forecast for the weekend is shifting colder, less non-frozen (none on some models) and maybe a little snow. So the worry about a weekend melt is declining.

Bingo!
Saturday is still looking like low 40s though.

skiur

Killington and okemo are making snow, even Bromley and magic are!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
They probably blew through most of their snowmaking budget. By doubling the # of guns you can run at once that's a lot more labor needed. A lot more electricity to run more fan guns and bigger water pumps.

Yeah it was a great November/December but I was kinda figuring they'd be the first to slow down their snowmaking pace.

Smellytele

They probably blew through most of their snowmaking budget. By doubling the # of guns you can run at once that's a lot more labor needed. A lot more electricity to run more fan guns and bigger water pumps.

Yeah it was a great November/December but I was kinda figuring they'd be the first to slow down their snowmaking pace.

Peaks is blowing no where right now. Crotched said they would hopefully this afternoon. Lift Windholds are plaguing all NH peaks properties today.

skifree

its January/its New England. i'm going anyways and I will have fun.

sull1102

Why is one bubble yellow on the Bluebird Express?
It's chair #50 for the 50th anniversary a few years ago. On other lifts #50 is usually painted gold for the same reason(only a Mt. Snow thing).

The decision to not blow at all after the rain and temps yesterday is a rough one. It definitely pushed me to go elsewhere tomorrow. Even a few hours on the main runs just to freshen things up goes a long way. The snowmaking budget may be running low, but skier visits are through the roof! Crowds on weekends and even midweek have been noticeably larger hoping that leads to something like a detachable in Sunbrook.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

I'm skiing Mount Snow Friday and Sunday, and racer parenting at Stratton on Saturday.

The Friday skiing at Mount Snow part of me wishes the guns we're going on today for sure. The logical, wanna be ski area GM and snowmaking geek side of me, also gets that a modern system today can do things quicker, especially with the GOOD temps we had during most of December, to put down adequate amounts of base to get most trails to the targeted end of the season dates in April, given most weather conditions, way quicker than ever....

I get both sides. I wish that I'd have more trails covered with fresh whales and/or top dressed on Friday than I will though....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
If you look around the resort, every chair number 50 on the mountain is "gold." This was in celebration of our 50th birthday, and we actually had to go to great lenghts to find one "golden" bubble. Turns out getting them to make a one-off is not a thing, so we had to find another resort that had orded a full run of yellow bubbles and then have Poma make one more.