Mount Snow: Inside Track - Page 157

AlpineZone

Page 157 of 162 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1611
  1. #1561

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    F*ck me... just got back from neurosurgery apt. and need to have surgery on my back/spine.
    Back to square one/ground zero? I don't know. Doctor says rather than being in pain for 6 months and it not healing correctly I should be recovered ~4 weeks after surgery and hopefully back to normal. Not sure when I can be weight bearing yet, etc. Still waiting on follow-up apts. to be scheduled and to hear back today... sounds like surgery next week maybe. Saw the photos from the CT Scan... pretty obvious how messed up my back and those few vertebrae are.



    Not going to lie, I'm pretty bummed today.
    Really sorry to hear that, good news is hopefully you will heal quicker and be ready to hit it hard next season.

  2. #1562
    Scruffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In the shadow of the moon.
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    F*ck me... just got back from neurosurgery apt. and need to have surgery on my back/spine.
    Back to square one/ground zero? I don't know. Doctor says rather than being in pain for 6 months and it not healing correctly I should be recovered ~4 weeks after surgery and hopefully back to normal. Not sure when I can be weight bearing yet, etc. Still waiting on follow-up apts. to be scheduled and to hear back today... sounds like surgery next week maybe. Saw the photos from the CT Scan... pretty obvious how messed up my back and those few vertebrae are.

    Not going to lie, I'm pretty bummed today.
    Bummer, but at least you have a plan for full recovery. Heal quickly.

  3. #1563
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    F*ck me... just got back from neurosurgery apt. and need to have surgery on my back/spine.
    Back to square one/ground zero? I don't know. Doctor says rather than being in pain for 6 months and it not healing correctly I should be recovered ~4 weeks after surgery and hopefully back to normal. Not sure when I can be weight bearing yet, etc. Still waiting on follow-up apts. to be scheduled and to hear back today... sounds like surgery next week maybe. Saw the photos from the CT Scan... pretty obvious how messed up my back and those few vertebrae are.

    Not going to lie, I'm pretty bummed today.
    This sucks, but if he is recommending it, you must have really F***ed things up back there. I have degenerative disk disease, and while I had a great 35 year run after my first back surgery, its just one thing after another now. Do exactly what the doc tells you, do all the PT, and try to do the take home exercises. Once free of the medical world, find a place that does beginner yoga. I should have done that years ago, but I let life get in the way. I know a few people who have done that after a first surgery, and they swear by it. If I can get though with my problems, I am definitely going to find some!

  4. #1564
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickc View Post
    This sucks, but if he is recommending it, you must have really F***ed things up back there. I have degenerative disk disease, and while I had a great 35 year run after my first back surgery, its just one thing after another now. Do exactly what the doc tells you, do all the PT, and try to do the take home exercises. Once free of the medical world, find a place that does beginner yoga. I should have done that years ago, but I let life get in the way. I know a few people who have done that after a first surgery, and they swear by it. If I can get though with my problems, I am definitely going to find some!
    Sean Vigue on YouTube is a good place to start for all levels of Yoga. I'm a big fan

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

  5. #1565
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    F*ck me... just got back from neurosurgery apt. and need to have surgery on my back/spine.
    Back to square one/ground zero? I don't know. Doctor says rather than being in pain for 6 months and it not healing correctly I should be recovered ~4 weeks after surgery and hopefully back to normal. Not sure when I can be weight bearing yet, etc. Still waiting on follow-up apts. to be scheduled and to hear back today... sounds like surgery next week maybe. Saw the photos from the CT Scan... pretty obvious how messed up my back and those few vertebrae are.

    Not going to lie, I'm pretty bummed today.
    Kyphoplasty?

    The results from that are usually very favorable. Also a blessing your injury occurred in the Thoracic vs Cervical or Lumbar. Injuries in those areas tend to have greater long term complications.

    Good luck. May your healing be Swift and complete

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

  6. #1566
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,660
    I've wrecked the tibia in my left leg and destroyed my right tibial plateau and shredded the ACL and PCL in my right knee. All fixed good as new by the good doctors at Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. Still have the metal in both legs.

    The worst part of those ordeals was crutch time which threw my back completely out of whack. So I can empathize with your situation. Yoga is a great therapy tool especially to restore flexibility. Lot's of crunches and core exercises are important too. And while some think Chiropractors are ineffective mine was central to restoring my back health.

    Stay positive, I know that's hard to do sometimes. And take your physical therapy very seriously. My physical therapist was always worried I was working too hard.

  7. #1567
    As much as there certainly have been some operational issues/challenges multiple times this season, this weekend so far atleast, has been very good and smooth from an ops standpoint.

    Crowds are bigger today, and building still, but with basically the entire mountain open and all the lifts spinning and comfortable temps, it seems reasonable

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

    '19 - '20 season:

    November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20,25,26 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23,27 (Mount Southington)
    February: 1,2,15,16,22,23 (Mount Snow) 3,5,12 (Mount Southington) 8 (Bromley) 9 (Stratton) 17 (Pico) 29 (Burke)
    March: 1,14 (Mount Snow) 2 (Mount Southington) 5,6,7 (Cannon) 8 (Loon)

  8. #1568
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    As much as there certainly have been some operational issues/challenges multiple times this season, this weekend so far atleast, has been very good and smooth from an ops standpoint.

    Crowds are bigger today, and building still, but with basically the entire mountain open and all the lifts spinning and comfortable temps, it seems reasonable

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    Even the burst water pipe in the Main base lodge about 1 that caused the fire alarm to go off and the base lodge to be evacuated for a short time went smoothy

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

    '19 - '20 season:

    November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20,25,26 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23,27 (Mount Southington)
    February: 1,2,15,16,22,23 (Mount Snow) 3,5,12 (Mount Southington) 8 (Bromley) 9 (Stratton) 17 (Pico) 29 (Burke)
    March: 1,14 (Mount Snow) 2 (Mount Southington) 5,6,7 (Cannon) 8 (Loon)

  9. #1569
    Edd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts
    5,186
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Even the burst water pipe in the Main base lodge about 1 that caused the fire alarm to go off and the base lodge to be evacuated for a short time went smoothy

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    Oh, yeah, the customers evacuating the base lodge must have been extremely pleased .

  10. #1570
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Being hurt friggin sucks and losing half a ski season makes it worse.

    There’s a hundred stories like this on the board. I blew my knee in January about 10 years ago and lost the season.

    The back is even worse. Sorry that it’s going crappy man. You’ll get through it. Think about next season.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    I think I got in ~10 days this season and it had been a pretty good season up to that point. I wouldn't say I got my money's worth from the Peak Pass, but at least it wasn't something like the 1st or 2nd time out I guess. My injuries might also not allow my wife to go riding again this season... but I'm hoping she'll be able to get back out again. We'll see I guess what happens after surgery and with my recovery since riding in a car 2+ hours right now is out of the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottySkis View Post
    So sorry too hear that.
    My back doctor told me that also but I choose cortizon shot which his huge help for me
    But definitely not in same position as u
    I have 2 slipped disc
    My aunt("2 nd mom ��) and uncle where all that about back surgery
    And they also choose cortizon shot
    I'm happy to hear the cortizone shot worked/helps you out. My damage is pretty bad I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Really sorry to hear that, good news is hopefully you will heal quicker and be ready to hit it hard next season.
    That seems like the plan. Surgery should lead to a quicker/better recovery. If I don't, I'll be in pain 6 months while it all heals and it won't heal correctly causing future problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    Bummer, but at least you have a plan for full recovery. Heal quickly.
    Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickc View Post
    This sucks, but if he is recommending it, you must have really F***ed things up back there. I have degenerative disk disease, and while I had a great 35 year run after my first back surgery, its just one thing after another now. Do exactly what the doc tells you, do all the PT, and try to do the take home exercises. Once free of the medical world, find a place that does beginner yoga. I should have done that years ago, but I let life get in the way. I know a few people who have done that after a first surgery, and they swear by it. If I can get though with my problems, I am definitely going to find some!
    Yeah, he showed me the images from the original CT scan and said if I had come to him first he would have suggested surgery to begin with. I have a couple of vertebrae that are a bit 'crunched' (10mm vs. 21mm) and one or two where the angle between the vertebrae is completely f'd. So, that's kind of causing me to naturally hunch over a bit already.

    Great point about the yoga. I'll have to look into that. I had been doing all of the PT daily (2x/day) that was given to me. But, stopped after the diagnosis last week. I'll certainly start back up once I'm able to after surgery. I want to have my movement and abilities back! (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Sean Vigue on YouTube is a good place to start for all levels of Yoga. I'm a big fan

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Thanks for the tip!

    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Kyphoplasty?

    The results from that are usually very favorable. Also a blessing your injury occurred in the Thoracic vs Cervical or Lumbar. Injuries in those areas tend to have greater long term complications.

    Good luck. May your healing be Swift and complete

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    That may be included, I have to ask more questions over the next couple of days. Essentially I'll wind up with a rod down each side of the spine with screws through the vertebrae to help them heal/strengthen. Not completely sure of the length/# of vertebrae involved yet, doctor needs more/updated CT scans. But, I guess it's as minimally invasive as it gets and I'll have some small-ish slits in my back. I don't really care about scaring, but should be a better/quicker recovery than the whole back being opened up... gross. I think overall I'm pretty 'lucky' even though this is all still quite shitty honestly. I'm able to walk, move all my extremities, etc. so I'm trying to think positive and that I'm lucky to not have more issues.

    Thank you for the well-wishes, I appreciate it.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    I've wrecked the tibia in my left leg and destroyed my right tibial plateau and shredded the ACL and PCL in my right knee. All fixed good as new by the good doctors at Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. Still have the metal in both legs.

    The worst part of those ordeals was crutch time which threw my back completely out of whack. So I can empathize with your situation. Yoga is a great therapy tool especially to restore flexibility. Lot's of crunches and core exercises are important too. And while some think Chiropractors are ineffective mine was central to restoring my back health.

    Stay positive, I know that's hard to do sometimes. And take your physical therapy very seriously. My physical therapist was always worried I was working too hard.
    Thank you! Trying to stay positive all the time. I had been doing good with my PT, even though it's painful. I'll get back at it and hit the PT hard once I'm able to. Hoping I can come home after the hospital and do out-patient PT at home as opposed to going back to rehab after surgery. But, we'll see.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:37 AM.