• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

mtsnow123

I ended up watching about a dozen of the HKD videos. Very cool industry and making equipment that lasts through the worst of weather.

Jcb890

Lift lines were absolutely brutal on Saturday AM to early/mid-PM without the GSE running.

mtsnow123

Rode Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Went from pure ice Saturday, to a good layer of powder Sunday, to spring powder yesterday. On Sunday I was riding some natural snow trails, such as Pat's Pitch. It was very fun, but very sketchy in some locations. I had to ollie over some exposed rocks, but lots of powder going into Charlie's Chase. I rode Ripcord yesterday after scoping it from the turn on River's Run. Huge section of yellow/gray ice in the middle. I decided to go skier's right and ended up riding a good 50-70 section of pure ice, just great acceleration. Seems that skier's left was the better call.

Let's hope for an end to this blowtorch and snowfall can get into the picture.

Jully

Most likely, unless Ma Nature finishes out this temperature tantrum with a bunch of natural snowfall. Too early to tell right now though with the 3,5,7 and 10 day forcasts.

Some nice low temps at night heading into the weekend. Assuming you would try and get some trails resurfaced by the weekend specifically?

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Some nice low temps at night heading into the weekend. Assuming you would try and get some trails resurfaced by the weekend specifically?

We've got a limited snowmaking window starting Thursday afternoon through Thursday night, and we're going to go for it. The plan is to go for a fan gun resurface and rebuild heading into the weekend on the following trails: Cascade, Canyon, Long John, Snowdance, N.E. Time, Ridge, Nitro, Launch Pad, Lower Exhibition, The Base Area, and Tubing. The thought is to put the greatest hits back together, while at the same time balancing our production with the fact that we don't yet know what this weekend will hold. Will we get snow, a wintery mix, the dreaded R word? Only time will tell, but we don't want to hammer it hard if it's just going to melt into the brook the next day.*

Once we get a better run of temps, we'll evaluate a more comprehensive snowmaking program, but this should help us offer a better product for the coming weekend.*

Jully

We've got a limited snowmaking window starting Thursday afternoon through Thursday night, and we're going to go for it. The plan is to go for a fan gun resurface and rebuild heading into the weekend on the following trails: Cascade, Canyon, Long John, Snowdance, N.E. Time, Ridge, Nitro, Launch Pad, Lower Exhibition, The Base Area, and Tubing. The thought is to put the greatest hits back together, while at the same time balancing our production with the fact that we don't yet know what this weekend will hold. Will we get snow, a wintery mix, the dreaded R word? Only time will tell, but we don't want to hammer it hard if it's just going to melt into the brook the next day.*

Once we get a better run of temps, we'll evaluate a more comprehensive snowmaking program, but this should help us offer a better product for the coming weekend.*

Awesome. Thanks for the info and response!

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Great to see you guys pushing it!!! Love it

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

It's one of the nice things about having over 930 fixed position snowguns and fan guns. It makes it much easier for us to be able to fire up in these limited windows. This is especially true on a day like today when we are running fan guns only, as it means all we have to do is run water uphill, rather than water and air.

skiur

It's one of the nice things about having over 930 fixed position snowguns and fan guns. It makes it much easier for us to be able to fire up in these limited windows. This is especially true on a day like today when we are running fan guns only, as it means all we have to do is run water uphill, rather than water and air.

This I see as a major advantage, I love how u guys have the fixed fan guns all over. How much labor u must save too, do you just have to turn the fans on? Can 1 person basically take care of the whole run?

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
This I see as a major advantage, I love how u guys have the fixed fan guns all over. How much labor u must save too, do you just have to turn the fans on? Can 1 person basically take care of the whole run?

It really depends on the conditions, but as I type this we currently have one guy liting up the fan guns on Snowdance by himself.

slatham

No commentary on the Blue Bird going down? I hope it is back in action quickly. Luckily a plethora of other lifts......

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
No commentary on the Blue Bird going down? I hope it is back in action quickly. Luckily a plethora of other lifts......

We posted it on our internal forum, our blog, and our social accounts. We figured that had it coverered. Didn't mean to leave you all out.

We'll be running all updates through our blog and will be updating as we have additional information. http://www.mountsnow.com/bluebird-updates