• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Jcb890

On my GPS during a hike a few summers ago, it was an 11 foot elevation gain from the top of Ego, across Link, past the top of the Canyon Express and over towards start of River Run. That was in the summer, without any snow on the trails....
How does that compare to the elevation gain from the North Face back up to the peak or the North Face over to Thanks Walt? Any idea? I'm just curious.

drjeff

How does that compare to the elevation gain from the North Face back up to the peak or the North Face over to Thanks Walt? Any idea? I'm just curious.

About twice the gain from the Outpost Triple (the one closest to Sunbrook on the Northface) over to either the summit lodge or the top of Sunbrook. It's also spread over a greater distance (the hike from the top of Ego over to River Run) than the hike from the top of the Northface

Jcb890

About twice the gain from the Outpost Triple (the one closest to Sunbrook on the Northface) over to either the summit lodge or the top of Sunbrook. It's also spread over a greater distance (the hike from the top of Ego over to River Run) than the hike from the top of the Northface
Interesting, thanks! That isn't too terrible of a skate/hike from Sunbrook or North Face up to the Summit/Long John.

urungus

Great news! Really appreciate the behind the scenes updates on all the hard work being done. Suspect it prevents a lot of grumbling/complaining.

cdskier

Great news!
Other mountains should take notice of how this was handled.

Mount Snow could start offering seminars for other resorts on the right way to communicate with their guests about problems!

Awesome to see not only a blog and photos, but now also a video of some of the work being done!

Glenn

Awesome! Really neat to see the behind the scenes stuff that goes on. Way to take a tough situation and make it a positive.

drjeff

Its not back today though.On hold.

From my wife, who's up at Mount Snow with our daughter this morning.... Back deck assessment, and elevation wise, our condo is roughly 250 feet above the Mount Snow base area.... 30 degrees, 3-4" of thick snow down, snowing heavy, winds are gusting big - with peak gusts on our weather station in the last 24hrs of 36mph...

As she put it to me, based on years of experience up there in similar weather conditions.... She's not expecting getting much higher up than the top of Ego Alley via lift access today, and doubts she'll be riding any highspeed lifts or making turns on the Northface or Sunbroook..... That's her opinion, we'll see what Jamie chimes in with from the official mountain perspective I'm sure!

Last edited:

rocks860

Gonna head to mount snow tomorrow, haven’t been there in probably 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
From my wife, who's up at Mount Snow with our daughter this morning.... Back deck assessment, and elevation wise, our condo is roughly 250 feet above the Mount Snow base area.... 30 degrees, 3-4" of thick snow down, snowing heavy, winds are gusting big - with peak gusts on our weather station in the last 24hrs of 36mph...

As she put it to me, based on years of experience up there in similar weather conditions.... She's not expecting getting much higher up than the top of Ego Alley via lift access today, and doubts she'll be riding any highspeed lifts or making turns on the Northface or Sunbroook..... That's her opinion, we'll see what Jamie chimes in with from the official mountain perspective I'm sure!

Pretty sporty conditions with the wind today. We're seeing gusts closer to 50mph up there right now. Fun fact, that summit station isn't actually as accurate as our anemometers on The Bluebird, as it's a bit sheltered. Right now we have access 2/3 of the way up via Canyon and Nitro, and hope to get more open if possible with the winds.

As for snow, this was taken at 9am.
IMG_1765.jpg

Glenn

Lookin good! Will be interesting to see how many people are venturing up from the flatlands this evening.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Grand Summit being delayed yesterday most of the morning made for quite a shit-show.

Sorry about all that.

From our head of lift ops:
"The combination between wind and snow caused the issues on the Grand Summit on Saturday. On Friday summit access was on wind hold - including lift 11 - which prevented us from doing any "de-icing" of the grips or chairs. What we did do several times during the day Friday was clean out the terminal of snow and hoar frost and the conveying system that drives the chairs to reduce delay Saturday; however, wind continued over night and things were recoated in the morning. We began working on the terminal again first thing in the morning, but also had other areas that needed attention (like evaluating wind and changing wheels that froze over night). Furthermore, lift 11 is different from lifts 2 and 9 in how it drives the chairs through the terminal, and because of that chairs are more likely to stall during inclement weather which is why we go through the terminal thoroughly."

Jcb890

Sorry about all that.

From our head of lift ops:
"The combination between wind and snow caused the issues on the Grand Summit on Saturday. On Friday summit access was on wind hold - including lift 11 - which prevented us from doing any "de-icing" of the grips or chairs. What we did do several times during the day Friday was clean out the terminal of snow and hoar frost and the conveying system that drives the chairs to reduce delay Saturday; however, wind continued over night and things were recoated in the morning. We began working on the terminal again first thing in the morning, but also had other areas that needed attention (like evaluating wind and changing wheels that froze over night). Furthermore, lift 11 is different from lifts 2 and 9 in how it drives the chairs through the terminal, and because of that chairs are more likely to stall during inclement weather which is why we go through the terminal thoroughly."
Will summit access be open Thursday after Wednesday afternoon/evening's storm? I know it starts earlier and ends Thursday sometime, but Wednesday PM is when winds will be highest and snow heaviest.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Will summit access be open Thursday after Wednesday afternoon/evening's storm? I know it starts earlier and ends Thursday sometime, but Wednesday PM is when winds will be highest and snow heaviest.

It's too early to make a call like that. We strive to have summit access everyday, but sometimes find ourselves at the mercy of the wind. We'll see how this storm comes in and goes out, but Thursday is looking less windy than Wednesday.