• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Jcb890

Been a little quiet on here recently. Must be the weather!

Does anyone have any questions or comments for us?
Sure!
Can we extend the Spring Season Pass Pricing for those of us who were asleep at the wheel earlier this off-season (now up $100)?
Can I be 29 for a day to get the Drifter Pass instead?

I'm sure we all know the answers, but you asked for it! :D

GregoryIsaacs

Any chance we could have a season pass-holders brush cutting day?

Im dying to cut some lines in Plunge!

Jcb890

Any chance we could have a season pass-holders brush cutting day?

Im dying to cut some lines in Plunge!
I bet it is a crap-load of work to cut glade lines. I wonder how much effort would be required to widen some of those woods over on the North Face... guessing a lot.

Is that how most mountains do it? Have their season pass-holders or a community type work day? Or do actual mountain employees do the work?

thebigo

Been a little quiet on here recently. Must be the weather!

Does anyone have any questions or comments for us?

Any chance you could persuade your colleagues at Crotched and Wildcat to open similar lines of communication?

GregoryIsaacs

I bet it is a crap-load of work to cut glade lines. I wonder how much effort would be required to widen some of those woods over on the North Face... guessing a lot.

Is that how most mountains do it? Have their season pass-holders or a community type work day? Or do actual mountain employees do the work?

I couldn't see plunge as being more than 200 feet of vertical... Id say a couple decent lines could get done by a couple willing/abled bodies in one weekend.

I do remember a couple of years back when the mountain was waiting for EB-5 they had a whole stagnant workforce that was used to clear some trees throughout the mountain and it made a world of difference

icecoast1

Are there any other major capital projects going on this summer besides the new carinthia lodge? Any trails getting snowmaking added?

laxski

Or more lift capacity out of Carinthia with the New Lodge. And hopefully a high speed in Sunbrook Soon.....

drjeff

Are there any other major capital projects going on this summer besides the new carinthia lodge? Any trails getting snowmaking added?
Being up at the mountain the last few days, from the perspective of my eyes (and telescope from my deck - going to take the Bluebird up to the Bullwheel Wednesday afternoon to get a closer look higher up) all of the major work is by far and away over at the Carinthia base area!! The new lodge looks MASSIVE as you drive up the entry road, and the old lodge is now just a pile of rubble (guess the one time plan mentioned to allow the local fire departments to burn it down in a training exercise vs just demo it with heavy construction equipment never materialized)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

jaytrem

A bunch of the lodge rubble has been move over to the main face below Yardsale. I'm guessing it's to flatten out the that pitch and hopefully spread people out a bit.

20180707_115156.jpg

ironhippy

My local hill has volunteer work days in the fall to brush cut and clear deadfall from the glades.

They are not as well attended as we would hope, everyone just wants to cut new trails and are disappointed when they find out it's a lot of work to maintain all the glades we have and we won't cut new ones unless we have cleaned the existing ones (which never really happens, we run out of time before we run out of work)

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
I couldn't see plunge as being more than 200 feet of vertical... Id say a couple decent lines could get done by a couple willing/abled bodies in one weekend.

I do remember a couple of years back when the mountain was waiting for EB-5 they had a whole stagnant workforce that was used to clear some trees throughout the mountain and it made a world of difference

It's a TON of work, and hard work at that. You need to really have people that are accostomed to putting in long days working outdoors with their hands. Not saying you guys aren't, but just saying it's not as easy as just cutting a few lines here and there.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Or more lift capacity out of Carinthia with the New Lodge. And hopefully a high speed in Sunbrook Soon.....

The Sunbrook Lift is the next logical lift we'd replace.

We're also working on some plans to be able to expand the capacity of the existing lifts at the Carinthia Base Area, but that won't happen for this season.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
A bunch of the lodge rubble has been move over to the main face below Yardsale. I'm guessing it's to flatten out the that pitch and hopefully spread people out a bit.

View attachment 23939

Bingo! The plan is to help expand that pinch point and help with the flow of people back to the base area. We figured it would be a fitting burial for some of the old Carinthia Lodge.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Sure!
Can we extend the Spring Season Pass Pricing for those of us who were asleep at the wheel earlier this off-season (now up $100)?
Can I be 29 for a day to get the Drifter Pass instead?

I'm sure we all know the answers, but you asked for it! :D

Nope!
We gave a ton of time and notice for everyone.

Sorry man.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com

Not this season, but we're working through the process to begin expanding snowmaking once again potentially next summer.

That being said, we've put in a ton of thought and planning into how we run our new West Lake System, and we're going to come out of the gates swinging once we get the temps this year. Talking with some of the guys on snowmaking, it's going to be amazing to see how fast we plan to open trails this year once we get the temps.

SLyardsale

How about a new web cam at Carinthia pointed at the new lodge so we can watch the progress?

GregoryIsaacs

How many restaurants/bars will be in the new lodge? Have any names/themes been decided yet?