• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

urungus

Oh I know, if anything not even having the main lift all ready for the season makes it more impressive what you did last weekend getting open! How are you feeling about Sunday? Do you think downloading is likely and if so is the bird ready to fly?

Downloading will be mandatory and it will be done by the Grand Summit Express as per the trail report http://www.mountsnow.com/snow-report

crazy

Not at all, we had a great group show up on Saturday and Sunday. We view it as bonus skiing, and what's so wrong with that?

I for one am very happy that Mount Snow and Wildcat both opened up well ahead of schedule for some bonus October and early November skiing. I don't have a Peaks Pass this season, but your willingness to get things open as soon as you can is totally awesome, and I will keep it in mind when making pass decisions for next season :smile: (and even though I don't have a Peaks Pass, I'm sure I will ski for a few days between Wildcat and Mount Snow, probably mostly early and late season).

Jully

I wasn't at Snow this past weekend, but the Wildcat parking lot was as full as I've ever seen it. They got a super crowd.

sull1102

I wasn't at Snow this past weekend, but the Wildcat parking lot was as full as I've ever seen it. They got a super crowd.
At least for Sunday the same could not be said for Mount Snow. Course I've also been there in the busiest days off the year with 11,000 people so tough to compare. They had a really good group for such an early opening weekend, just not to the level that Wildcat had.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

Went out today for my second day this year and Snow's third. Wow it was a rough week for the mountain, the fact that they opened today proved to me that there are some serious diehard skiers/riders calling the shots because I seriously doubt many mountains would open with the amount of work that was required by the groomers. Canyon is totally gone, they'll be starting from scratch when they start snowmaking again. Up top it's clear they blew A TON of snow a couple weeks ago when they had the chance. Freefall was a true WROD for the bottom half, same for all of River Run. Cascade was alright, good for early season, but they pulled the plug on the park due to losing trail width with the melt out this week. Overall just a huge day to show what mtn ops can and will do to be one of 9 ski areas open in North America!

sull1102

What is up with running both Canyon and GSE? $$$

I had the same thought when I was there, but I came up with two reasons, one Cascade was in rough shape near the top of Canyon Quad and getting over to the top station from that spot would not be the easiest of maneuvers with the crowding that was happening(there were WAY TOO MANY people with no business being out there today trying to learn to ski/board) so maybe played a role. More importantly though, think about the bottom of Canyon and how they load at a 90 degree angle. While not impossible to download with that config at the base, it doesn't make it very easy. Also GS was run at less than half speed for most of the day and they were doing pulse downloading grouping people ten chairs at a time so honestly probably was not using tons of power.

Jully

Why not just use GSE for uploading and downloading? Agreed Canyon would have been tough to do both.

sull1102

Seems like this was a waste. Of money and snow. And more rain to come. Bye bye.
Ehh I got two days out, they got good press out of it going into the ski shows, so not a waste. Looking ahead starting Saturday night they should be able to lay down a lot of snow and get a lot of terrain open.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Ehh I got two days out, they got good press out of it going into the ski shows, so not a waste. Looking ahead starting Saturday night they should be able to lay down a lot of snow and get a lot of terrain open.

Not to mention the fact that we got to add in two bonus profitable weekends that we weren't even counting on having.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
That's awesome, hopefully that encourages you guys to keep up the early season push in years to come!

As we finished our $30M snowmaking upgrade last season, we came out and said that our plan is always to be a major player in the early season. We'll leave May and June up to the guys up North though. Wildcat is prime for that game.

thebigo

We'll leave May and June up to the guys up North though. Wildcat is prime for that game.

This may be a Mt Snow thread but this comment is too intriguing to remain idle. Are you stating there will be a concerted effort to go deeper into May by wildcat?

It is good to hear the early season weekends are profitable. Count me as part of the group that buys peak passes and steers our several thousand dollar family ski budget to peak because wildcat gets open early season. We would probably get cannon passes if wildcat did not compete early season; now if wildcat also competed late season they would get all those nh and maine dollars normally earmarked for killington.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This may be a Mt Snow thread but this comment is too intriguing to remain idle. Are you stating there will be a concerted effort to go deeper into May by wildcat?

It is good to hear the early season weekends are profitable. Count me as part of the group that buys peak passes and steers our several thousand dollar family ski budget to peak because wildcat gets open early season. We would probably get cannon passes if wildcat did not compete early season; now if wildcat also competed late season they would get all those nh and maine dollars normally earmarked for killington.

Killington will always have the best late season setup, hands down. Given its location, accessibility, party scene, reputation, and the north-facing exposure of Superstar no other mountain could come close to what Killington offers.

urungus

Killington will always have the best late season setup, hands down. Given its location, accessibility, party scene, reputation, and the north-facing exposure of Superstar no other mountain could come close to what Killington offers.

Would be cool if Mt Snow used their new system to build up a Superstar style glacier on north-facing Freefall and give Killington some springtime competition. It would cut the drive time for me in half, and I’m confident I would be able to find some partiers at Cuzzins. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to happen though.

urungus

167CA967-3A3C-4E18-B83C-F8EB299DF928.jpg

Not sure there will be anything left after today’s r**n, but then things are starting to look very good

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com

We're not going to comment for Wildcat, but they are best set up of all of the Peak Resorts to run into the late season. As for early season, we'll still battle for them for Peak Resorts' First Open honors, but their location gives them an advantage for sure.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Would be cool if Mt Snow used their new system to build up a Superstar style glacier on north-facing Freefall and give Killington some springtime competition. It would cut the drive time for me in half, and I’m confident I would be able to find some partiers at Cuzzins. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to happen though.

But then you'd have to run one of the main face lifts to get there...that's a lot of $$$. And you lose the tailgate scene Killington has. I also don't think Freefall is wide enough for a Superstar-esque "spine" of snow.