• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Was planning on heading to Mt Snow this Friday to kick off my season and take full advantage of my Epic Pass, but reading their updated Tuesday AM snow report, I don't see any listing for Long John/Beaver Run route down from the top, just their two other previous listed options. While this is still terrific given it's early season, I'm a bit disappointed that they've cut back ttb options.

LJ/BR isn't the most exciting of trail combos, but at least it was another route down. Could be the storm didn't produce?

FBGM

Was planning on heading to Mt Snow this Friday to kick off my season and take full advantage of my Epic Pass, but reading their updated Tuesday AM snow report, I don't see any listing for Long John/Beaver Run route down from the top, just their two other previous listed options. While this is still terrific given it's early season, I'm a bit disappointed that they've cut back ttb options.

LJ/BR isn't the most exciting of trail combos, but at least it was another route down. Could be the storm didn't produce?

More likely their snowmaking and mountain ops team failed to deliver. Over promise. Under deliver. Think they can do it all with their big snowmaking system but when it’s utilized poor to begin with and temps don’t work...under deliver.

bdfreetuna

Opening moved from Friday to Wednesday. So on Wed they won't have Long John, but I'm hoping Thursday they will (I'll be there), if not Friday. They'll be able to make snow on Long John on Wednesday.

jimmywilson69

More likely their snowmaking and mountain ops team failed to deliver. Over promise. Under deliver. Think they can do it all with their big snowmaking system but when it’s utilized poor to begin with and temps don’t work...under deliver.

Can you show me on the doll where they hurt you?

Opening moved from Friday to Wednesday. So on Wed they won't have Long John, but I'm hoping Thursday they will (I'll be there), if not Friday. They'll be able to make snow on Long John on Wednesday.

That's what I'm hoping. An extra day or two of cold temps should make all the difference. Maybe they'll surprise us with some additional terrain as well.

Just so looking forward to getting back out.

drjeff

Based on a couple of pictures that some of my friends who are full time residents of the Mount Snow area have posted the last few days of the mountain.

They definitely started Long John off of the summit, so it shouldn't take much more time to get it open once the temps arrive.

The only variable being is that in years past, when the only park at Carinthia open early season is The Gulch, numerous complaints about people heading for the parks off of the summit going too fast, have happened. And one of the possible solutions was to not have long john/deer run available until after they get Nitro open.

I would suspect that we'll find out later today as the temps drop and they fire the system back up as to what trails they'll be working on (probably to open for the weekend). While they may need to top dress the terrain that they made snow on already post freeze up, it looked like they employed their typically successful strategy for creating a good surface post freeze up by tracking out the snow with the cats, then letting it set up, freeze and drain a bit, before they groom it out this evening. If that was their plan, then they should be on to expansion mode very soon

jimmywilson69

it looked like they employed their typically successful strategy for creating a good surface post freeze up by tracking out the snow with the cats, then letting it set up, freeze and drain a bit, before they groom it out this evening.

FBGM said they poorly utilize their system I can't possibly see how what you typed can be true :lol:

urungus

The only variable being is that in years past, when the only park at Carinthia open early season is The Gulch, numerous complaints about people heading for the parks off of the summit going too fast, have happened. And one of the possible solutions was to not have long john/deer run available until after they get Nitro open.

How is waiting for Nitro to open a solution ? That would only cut off a small portion of Long John if you are coming from the top. If you are not coming from the top, then I don’t see how Long John would affected if people are lapping Nitro on the Nitro chair vs lapping the Gulch on the Heavy Metal chair ?

drjeff

How is waiting for Nitro to open a solution ? That would only cut off a small portion of Long John if you are coming from the top. If you are not coming from the top, then I don’t see how Long John would affected if people are lapping Nitro on the Nitro chair vs lapping the Gulch on the Heavy Metal chair ?

It was a suggestion that has received some discussion. I agree that it makes very little sense.

It will also be interesting to see how the "Long John Expressway" (from basically the top of Ridge down to the top of Carinthia) is this season now that it was substantially widened over the Summer to basically 100 feet wide the entire way (used to be in the 60-70 foot wide range).

The reality is that given the wide range of folks who use that trail for varying reasons, and the lack of etiquette that some people display on that trail (especially when in the vicinity of true beginners), there's no real good solution to address the valid concerns that folks have about that part of the trail

drjeff

100 foot wide eh? Split it down the middle with fence and create a a passing lane :lol:

I think the biggest issue with the new width, is the rock band that on skier's/riders right, that used to be anywhere from a few feet to as many as 10 feet tall, that folks used to jump off of, is now closer to 10-15+ feet tall most of the way onto a flat landing. Probably only a matter of time until someone, skiing or riding where it's marked that they're not supposed to up on top of that rock band, are going to jump off and hurt themselves or someone below when they land on the flat terrain......

Again, if folks used proper etiquette and kept their speed in check along that section, none of this would be an issue on that part of Long John

bdfreetuna

IMO the cliff to the right of Long John is fair game as long as you don't land on someone. I ski right up there for a 5-7' drop routinely. 10 feet to a flat landing I try to avoid.

I also have no problem with advanced/expert skiers going around slower skiers as if they're slightly mobile GS gates. Just remember, these human beings aren't breakaway gates and they must actually be fully avoided with a little room to spare.

If you want to ski 0mph and have nobody skiing fast nearby there is always the bunny slope.

When it's crowded AF like on a weekend that's another matter, but still plenty of opportunity for passing.

On a relatively empty day I ski Long John/Deer Run as fast as I can go. You need the speed to carry you in a couple sections anyway.

Interested to see how much difference the widening makes.

FBGM

IMO the cliff to the right of Long John is fair game as long as you don't land on someone. I ski right up there for a 5-7' drop routinely. 10 feet to a flat landing I try to avoid.

I also have no problem with advanced/expert skiers going around slower skiers as if they're slightly mobile GS gates. Just remember, these human beings aren't breakaway gates and they must actually be fully avoided with a little room to spare.

If you want to ski 0mph and have nobody skiing fast nearby there is always the bunny slope.

When it's crowded AF like on a weekend that's another matter, but still plenty of opportunity for passing.

On a relatively empty day I ski Long John/Deer Run as fast as I can go. You need the speed to carry you in a couple sections anyway.

Interested to see how much difference the widening makes.

Yeah buddy. Just mow over them jongs and Jerry’s. You’ll eventually get sued by some dentist from long island or some Asian businessman from the city. But you’re only worth pennies so they will go for the ski area after they take your life savings of a single wide an 95’ Astro van.

Edd

Yeah buddy. Just mow over them jongs and Jerry’s. You’ll eventually get sued by some dentist from long island or some Asian businessman from the city. But you’re only worth pennies so they will go for the ski area after they take your life savings of a single wide an 95’ Astro van.

Remind me where you live? I recall some Park City reference but cant remember specifics.