• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Morewood

Are you sure there won't be a superpipe this year? Mount Snow has USASA Pipe Competition scheduled for 2/8 -2/9. I guess they could move them to Okemo if that's the decision, to not build one at Carinthia.

Neither have a true Superpipe, which have 22ft walls...both Okemo and Mount Snow build 18 foot pipes. I hope Vail continues to keep at least one pipe running on the east coast.

bdfreetuna

Are you sure there won't be a superpipe this year? Mount Snow has USASA Pipe Competition scheduled for 2/8 -2/9. I guess they could move them to Okemo if that's the decision, to not build one at Carinthia.

Neither have a true Superpipe, which have 22ft walls...both Okemo and Mount Snow build 18 foot pipes. I hope Vail continues to keep at least one pipe running on the east coast.

Ultrapipe is 28ft walls and Megapipe is 30ft radius and fully enclosed cylinder. Megapipe XL is supposed to be bigger.

drjeff

Per an email today that the director of the training center, where the Alpine and freestyle/park programs are based out of, sent out, there won't be a superpipe this season

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
No surprise. No one makes pipes anymore. Killington used to do a mini-pipe and a superpipe, now it's just a bizarre hybrid park with a couple pipe walls in it. No more pipe at Catamount, Jiminy Peak I think used to do a halfpipe as well.

The only competition-level park I would like to see in the northeast is something stupid-big on Superstar at Killington. That would make sense. World Cup in November, a big park/pipe competition in February, then knock it all down for spring skiing. That way they'd actually get use out of all that snow they blow for the spring stockpile before spring comes. With its northern exposure Superstar, is absolutely atrocious December-March, and its only gotten worse with the world cup now...I don't think anyone would miss it if it became a huge terrain park, especially if it funded more snowmaking on it.

Jcb890

Superstar is too steep outside of the flats.
I came to post that same thing. They would have to blow a crapload of more snow to attempt to flatten it out a bit, which still wouldn't work.

Superstar is way too steep for a park or pipe. Maybe a run in for a big-air jump I guess. But that would be a huge waste of space and snow.

njdiver85

It was actually quite interesting to watch them construct the superpipe at Mt Snow in years past. After blowing a ton of snow, multiple groomers worked on it for what seemed like weeks on end. Not a big surprise they won't be building it this year. On the other hand, the re-work of Fools Gold with loads of features and a lot of snow blown there was really impressive, and likely a far bigger bang for the buck.

drjeff

It was actually quite interesting to watch them construct the superpipe at Mt Snow in years past. After blowing a ton of snow, multiple groomers worked on it for what seemed like weeks on end. Not a big surprise they won't be building it this year. On the other hand, the re-work of Fools Gold with loads of features and a lot of snow blown there was really impressive, and likely a far bigger bang for the buck.

I was going to be curious to see how they built the half pipe this year, as it was mentioned, by some management folks late last season, that the plan was going to be to use some of the massive amounts of snow used to build the North wall and the massive amounts of snow they use to build the last couple of jumps on Inferno somewhat in tandem to be more efficient with the snow made in that area and kind of have the North wall of the pipe and the last jumps on Inferno all part of the same mass of snow. That was apparently why they cut down the trees that used to be between the North wall of the pipe and Inferno.

Guess we'll never know now....

Contrary to what I usually do during holiday periods, I'm considering a day trip to Mt Snow tomorrow just to get back out. Will it be a shitshow, or just crowded? The weather isn't going to be ideal so that may keep some folks away.

Thoughts from those in the know......

Thanks.

prsboogie

I was thinking NYD for a day out. Usually the quieter of the holiday days???
Contrary to what I usually do during holiday periods, I'm considering a day trip to Mt Snow tomorrow just to get back out. Will it be a shitshow, or just crowded? The weather isn't going to be ideal so that may keep some folks away.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Thanks.
Tough to tell how the weather will effect it. Was EMPTY this morning... Got 20 runs in by noon. Some crowds starting to arrive around lunch, and condo parking lots filling up a bit now compared to this morning.

Will the "wintry mix" forecasted keep some of the masses off the hill tomorrow morning? Only time will tell....

Snow is firm underneath, but loose granular on top, Ripcord was perfect, grippy, dry "styrofoam" like snow with BIG whales. Lots of fun!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

Thanks.

Probably pretty busy but they're running all 20 lifts so you should be able to manage the crowds if you know where to go....

Pez

they've been having issues with their web cams. You'd think they'd get those back up and running right away.

NYDB

What are people thinking? go for a hike or something. Most hiking trails in SoVt have no snow. Much more fun than waiting in line with 1000's of other jabronis to slide down an ice sheet