• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

njdiver85

Lines were long yesterday for the Bluebird lift, but in that picture, in the distance you can see the Summit Express lift which goes to the same place. Lines there quite short, especially the singles line.

icecoast1

What are people thinking? go for a hike or something. Most hiking trails in SoVt have no snow. Much more fun than waiting in line with 1000's of other jabronis to slide down an ice sheet

My thoughts exactly. I get some people can only go out on weekends, But days like this make me wonder what's the point

cdskier

My thoughts exactly. I get some people can only go out on weekends, But days like this make me wonder what's the point

I could never deal with that many people and don't understand how anyone else can either. I generally stay away on holiday weekends specifically to avoid that type of stuff, although my resort (Sugarbush) honestly hasn't looked bad at all anytime I've looked at the webcams. I'm a bit surprised at how small the lift lines have looked there. I guess everyone is at Mt Snow!

asnowmobiler

I just hope after a shit show day of skiing and waiting in lines is worth the nightlife that comes with it.
Sometimes it’s about the party atmosphere and not all about the skiing, I’m somewhere in the middle depending on my plans.

drjeff

Is this really this past weekend?
Definitely could of been Saturday or Sunday this past weekend! The Bluebird had lines that size at times both days.

Lots of folks here this Holiday period, even still tonight on the back end of the sleet/freezing rain event (finally some actual steady light snow in the last hour or two) there's still as many cars parked in my condo complex as there typically is on a BUSY weekend

Really hope the pattern shift to COLD forecasted about a week from now, with an extended run of atleast GOOD Snowmaking temps materializes. Over 5" of rain, and little natural snow, since the big early December storm, and now no reasonable length window of decent Snowmaking temps the last week, has things skiing firm, thin (both trail width and in numerous spots Snow depth), and looking more like late March than late December

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

jaytrem

Question of the day....

How did Stratton manage to get 4 detachables open while MS has 0?

jaytrem

Heavy Metal has a queue to get on the queue. Seems organized at least. Nitro moving slowly, maybe open today???

icecoast1

higher elevation = less ice?

That doesn't explain why they couldn't get Nitro or Canyon going, because those lift elevations are pretty much identical to Strattons base area detachables that are running. This is nothing more than a staffing and preparation issue which i'm sure Vail will fix especially with an Alterra mountain right up the road making them look bad

njdiver85

Very poor showing by Mount Snow (and Vail) for that matter. Seemed to be a staffing issue to me and to everyone else I spoke with as well, many who were long time Mount Snow passholders. Not clearly enough staff qualified to de-ice the lifts. They didn't even have staff to help with the line management on the few lifts actually open. They must have told people not to show up to save money perhaps? Actually had a guy from ski patrol working the line over at Carinthia. Poor communication on the snow report. Bullwheel closed. Only two or three people working the lower level of the Summit lodge - nobody cleaning up, food all over the floor, dirty tables - quite disgusting. Also, heard a rumor today that Mount Snow has exceeded their snowmaking budget at this point in time, and that contributed to them not making snow during the few snowmaking windows they had over the past week.

crazy

Very poor showing by Mount Snow (and Vail) for that matter. Seemed to be a staffing issue to me and to everyone else I spoke with as well, many who were long time Mount Snow passholders. Not clearly enough staff qualified to de-ice the lifts. They didn't even have staff to help with the line management on the few lifts actually open. They must have told people not to show up to save money perhaps? Actually had a guy from ski patrol working the line over at Carinthia. Poor communication on the snow report. Bullwheel closed. Only two or three people working the lower level of the Summit lodge - nobody cleaning up, food all over the floor, dirty tables - quite disgusting. Also, heard a rumor today that Mount Snow has exceeded their snowmaking budget at this point in time, and that contributed to them not making snow during the few snowmaking windows they had over the past week.

I hate to say this, but maybe Vail taking charge next year will be a good thing. While I appreciate the vibe of Wildcat, Peaks was not a good owner. They have been neglecting Attitash, and apparently understaffing Mount Snow, which is their premium product!

patroller_sam

I just checked the livecam. The line to Ego is extending beyond under the Grand Summit.

Stratton had all of the chairs on the detaches parked overnight to eliminate ice on the grips. Lift mechs were out yesterday afternoon chipping ice off of lifts to get a head start as well. We also kept Amex running with no chairs in an attempt to prevent freezing of the cable. Mount snow takes none of those procedures...

JimG.

Staff member
Stratton had all of the chairs on the detaches parked overnight to eliminate ice on the grips. Lift mechs were out yesterday afternoon chipping ice off of lifts to get a head start as well. We also kept Amex running with no chairs in an attempt to prevent freezing of the cable. Mount snow takes none of those procedures...

Interesting.

I believe Belleayre was also closed yesterday due to icing.

Jcb890

Mount Snow already saying they plan to start Bluebird and Grand Summit Express on hold to continue de-icing. Considering how much time has elapsed, that's pretty pathetic, is it not?