• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

ghughes20

As a Stratton skier, and Snow frequent visitor, it's unfortunate to see all the complaints.

I was at Stratton for the 27-30th. Didn't ski on the 27th (rain), or the 28 (late opening, late grooming, etc). I did ski the 29th and it was crowded and instantly skied off. Lots of ice. We did ski the morning of the 30th, but only had access to mid-mountain via fixed grip lifts due to ice. I don't think the detachable lifts got running until the 31st, but we had left at 2pm the day before. I would have guessed the 31st would have been a good day with the fresh snow. Still, sounds like it was worse at Snow.

From the sounds of it, Stratton did a decent job of trying to prep the lifts for the ice. Chairs and Cars were in the garage to the extent possible. Lightning is pretty crazy in the winter, but I experienced it once in Utah in February, so obviously its possible anywhere.

Just a terrible holiday week all around. Planning a VT ski trip for Christmas week is dicey.

This weekend also looks iffy too. Maybe we get lucky and the current low follows a southerly track and we get snow in VT. I almost don't want to look at the recent forecast. I don't think we'll see solid snow-making temps until the 6th.

KustyTheKlown

wow. i am so glad i go west every xmas. even with perfect snow, vermont xmas week is an utter shitshow.

Smellytele

wow. i am so glad i go west every xmas. even with perfect snow, vermont xmas week is an utter shitshow.

Those places are shit shows most weekends. NH (well Cannon and Wildcat) was ski on or just a few chair wait the whole time. Conditions at Cannon were good on New Year's day as well (and cheaper for me than chancing flying out West where Christmas can be a crap shoot as well).

NYDB

As a Stratton skier, and Snow frequent visitor, it's unfortunate to see all the complaints.

I was at Stratton for the 27-30th. Didn't ski on the 27th (rain), or the 28 (late opening, late grooming, etc). I did ski the 29th and it was crowded and instantly skied off. Lots of ice. We did ski the morning of the 30th, but only had access to mid-mountain via fixed grip lifts due to ice. I don't think the detachable lifts got running until the 31st, but we had left at 2pm the day before. I would have guessed the 31st would have been a good day with the fresh snow. Still, sounds like it was worse at Snow.

From the sounds of it, Stratton did a decent job of trying to prep the lifts for the ice. Chairs and Cars were in the garage to the extent possible. Lightning is pretty crazy in the winter, but I experienced it once in Utah in February, so obviously its possible anywhere.

Just a terrible holiday week all around. Planning a VT ski trip for Christmas week is dicey.

This weekend also looks iffy too. Maybe we get lucky and the current low follows a southerly track and we get snow in VT. I almost don't want to look at the recent forecast. I don't think we'll see solid snow-making temps until the 6th.

The first part I would disagree with. 12/31, 1/1, 1/2 and 1/3 were pretty good for early season. I had a great time lapping closed runs at Stratton all morning on the 1st while everyone was sleeping. Fresh tracks all morn. Stratton is great for that since 98% of the clientele (especially during holidays) doesn't venture off a groomer.

The second part I would change to 'Planning a VT Ski trip more than 4 days in advance anytime is dicey'

crazy

The first part I would disagree with. 12/31, 1/1, 1/2 and 1/3 were pretty good for early season. I had a great time lapping closed runs at Stratton all morning on the 1st while everyone was sleeping. Fresh tracks all morn. Stratton is great for that since 98% of the clientele (especially during holidays) doesn't venture off a groomer.

The second part I would change to 'Planning a VT Ski trip more than 4 days in advance anytime is dicey'

Does ski patrol not are about poaching at Stratton? I'm not judging, this is good intel, this way I know that I can poach when I ski there.

Glenn

Hearsay alert:
I talked to my neighbor in VT this weekend; he's skis mid week at Mt. Snow. He and his wife know someone who works at the mountain. Allegedly, since Vail took over, the number of staff working at any given time has been reduced.

Again, not firsthand info....

icecoast1

Hearsay alert:
I talked to my neighbor in VT this weekend; he's skis mid week at Mt. Snow. He and his wife know someone who works at the mountain. Allegedly, since Vail took over, the number of staff working at any given time has been reduced.

Again, not firsthand info....

People love to hate Vail but these problems especially with lifts were going on long before Vail took over, and Vail hasn't fully taken over yet being the first winter either.

njdiver85

Hearsay alert:

Would explain a lot of what is going on at the mountain. Very sad for the staff. And frustrating for the paying customers.

njdiver85

People love to hate Vail but these problems especially with lifts were going on long before Vail took over, and Vail hasn't fully taken over yet being the first winter either.

I do think in the past Mount Snow was much more up front with respect to what was going on with lift operations. Lately it seems smoke and mirrors. Saying they are working diligently to get the Grand Summit open on the snow report, yet not a single lift mechanic either at the base, the top, or on any single tower all day tells another story.

FBGM

I do think in the past Mount Snow was much more up front with respect to what was going on with lift operations. Lately it seems smoke and mirrors. Saying they are working diligently to get the Grand Summit open on the snow report, yet not a single lift mechanic either at the base, the top, or on any single tower all day tells another story.

Probably waiting on parts. What should they be doing? Sitting on their thumbs there to look busy?

njdiver85

Probably waiting on parts. What should they be doing? Sitting on their thumbs there to look busy?

The point of the post was that they should be more up front as to what the issue is with the Summit chair.

FBGM

No, but how about "We need parts for the lift which will take x time". All about setting expectations.

Hi all, Billy our $14/hr two year veteran found a catastrophic failure in the lift today. He rolled the dice and continued to run it to just get everyone off. No one died. We think we have the correct part to band aid it back as quick as possible so we can load it back up and get more people on snow. Let’s hope it holds till year end when we might get funding to fix it correctly. Good luck out there and hope your life insurance is up to date. K thakx bye

Is that the communication you’re looking for? Because I bet the truth is not that much different.

crazy

Hi all, Billy our $14/hr two year veteran found a catastrophic failure in the lift today. He rolled the dice and continued to run it to just get everyone off. No one died. We think we have the correct part to band aid it back as quick as possible so we can load it back up and get more people on snow. Let’s hope it holds till year end when we might get funding to fix it correctly. Good luck out there and hope your life insurance is up to date. K thakx bye

Is that the communication you’re looking for? Because I bet the truth is not that much different.

:-D that just gave me a good laugh.

Glenn

Back a few years ago, the Grand Summit had a pretty big issue. IIRC, they posted regular updates and pictures on their website regarding where they were with the repairs. It was pretty neat to follow that along. They also updated folks on the passholder site. During the Peak years, Mount Snow did a really good job with communications.

FBGM

Back a few years ago, the Grand Summit had a pretty big issue. IIRC, they posted regular updates and pictures on their website regarding where they were with the repairs. It was pretty neat to follow that along. They also updated folks on the passholder site. During the Peak years, Mount Snow did a really good job with communications.

Well Glenny, you’re in Vail country now. You can’t sneeze or shit without paying or asking permission. Also transparency is dead, and for good reason. Average Joey don’t care about some broken gear shaft.

njdiver85

Appears today's snow report is the first time they've decided to mention a maintenance issue with the Grand Summit Express, due to the lightning strike. It will be 14 days tomorrow since the strike. Prior reports since the ice storm have simply said it was on hold and they were working hard to get it running . . . as in, hey folks, hang in there it'll only be an hour or so!

I've been a Mount Snow fan and supporter here for quite a while, but this goes beyond a lack of transparency - this is outright deceit to those who are walking up the ticket windows to buy a day or weekend ticket.

drjeff

Appears today's snow report is the first time they've decided to mention a maintenance issue with the Grand Summit Express, due to the lightning strike. It will be 14 days tomorrow since the strike. Prior reports since the ice storm have simply said it was on hold and they were working hard to get it running . . . as in, hey folks, hang in there it'll only be an hour or so!

I've been a Mount Snow fan and supporter here for quite a while, but this goes beyond a lack of transparency - this is outright deceit to those who are walking up the ticket windows to buy a day or weekend ticket.
Rumor going around the mountain is that the delay with the repair is due to some issues with getting the needed circuit board(s) manufactured and shipped in from Europe...

Didn't need the extra capacity of the GSE this weekend... Going to need it next weekend... Also going to need some extensive Snowmaking and grooming this week. The weather this weekend did some major damage...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

jaywbigred

Wait, so who is running the mountain now? Peak or Vail? Vail owns it but potentially lame-duck Peak employees are running the show?

icecoast1

Wait, so who is running the mountain now? Peak or Vail? Vail owns it but potentially lame-duck Peak employees are running the show?

Some of both. The peak properties arent going to be fully integrated with Vail until the spring.