• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

TyWebb

6:32 AM SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2020
Update 8:40am: Canyon Express, Nitro Express, Sundance, Beartrap, and the Sunbrook lift are on hold as our mechanics finish the de-icing process from Thursday & Friday's ice storm. The Challenger lift is on wind hold.

And only 65% of trails open. Was thinking of hitting it up Thurs and Friday but we shall see what transpires

drjeff

And only 65% of trails open. Was thinking of hitting it up Thurs and Friday but we shall see what transpires
Here's what fell out of the sky the last few days, or atleast what I cleared out of my front walk at my condo about 6PM yesterday when the snow was basically done...

There's about 1-2" of fluff, ontop of maybe 1/2" of ice crust, which is on top of about 2-3" of wet sleet that somewhat resembles a slurpy.

I'm at Bromley now at a race, the crust they have is variable in that in someplaces you break through, and others you stay on top

My wife who is at Mount Snow today reports similar conditions with some breakable crust, and some nice snow.

Total base building event. Not a powder event in SoVt

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

njdiver85

Long lines were the story today. First time I've ever seen a line from Heavy Metal (double chair at Carinthia) stretch all the way to and up the side of the Nitro lift! Looks like Canyon will not open today, though sounds like they are close to being done with it. Does not appear anything has been started on Summit Express chair, so looking like Sunday will still be a rough start.

Pez

6:22 AM Sunday, February 9, 2020

Last Updated 8:21AM: The Grand Summit Express and Sunbrook lift are on hold as our crew continues the time consuming process of de-icing. Please make sure to check back here for the most up to date information.

WTF?

clown shoes operation. was going to head there today.

Smellytele

6:22 AM Sunday, February 9, 2020

Last Updated 8:21AM: The Grand Summit Express and Sunbrook lift are on hold as our crew continues the time consuming process of de-icing. Please make sure to check back here for the most up to date information.

clown shoes operation. was going to head there today.

Did they run yesterday? If so what would cause them to ice up again? No precip over night but was cold.

Pez

IDK. I don't think they've run since the ice storm, which is what 3 days ago?

apparently bromely does the sunday half day for 49 bucks... 1230-4pm. score

Jcb890

Mt. Snow's de-icing efforts this season have been nothing short of pathetic. Their communication started off the same, but has gotten a bit better. Still, overall an atrocious job by Mt. Snow this season to be honest.

I am done for the rest of the season with a broken back - happened 1/17 @ Mt. Snow - but will most likely not be back to Mt. Snow as a home mountain after riding at Mt. Snow as a 'home' mountain the last 4 seasons. Considering what has transpired this season with delays and horrible communication of problems they know are ongoing. This seems much worse than in years past to be honest.

People who are buying day tickets while these issues are ongoing are getting completely screwed and it's not fair. Even to season pass holders it is pathetic to show up and deal with the lines due to slow lift openings, etc.

slatham

Did they run yesterday? If so what would cause them to ice up again? No precip over night but was cold.

They did not run, and I saw somewhere (FB?) that they would have all lifts ready to go. From what Dr Jeff and others have reported, it seems a woeful lack of staff. Stratton had several high speed lifts including the gondola running Thursday afternoon, just hours after icing ended.

Jcb890

lol, nope. They said they never 'got to' Grand Summit yesterday so it never opened yesterday. Apparently they only de-ice during operating hours? Honestly there's no excuse not to have it de-iced and running this morning. Pathetic effort again by Mt. Snow.

Jcb890

Sorry to hear that man. Good luck with the healing.
Thank you! Working on it, doing PT every day and just trying to work through the pain.

Jcb890 how did you break your back? & are you going to recover fully? That sounds horrible!
I honestly don't know. I have no recollection of the crash itself. I know the major issue was speed... but then not sure if I caught an edge or lost my balance coming over a roller that dropped off too steep or what. My brother was with me, but riding a bit in front so he didn't see it. All I remember was being cold and having snow hitting me from the snow guns they had going on the trail (Snowdance). It's an intermediate/easy trail, so not like it was too steep or something.

Concussion - don't remember any of the morning or runs prior (happened at 10 am). I got my memory back later in the day/next day. I do remember the helicopter ride from Brattleboro to Springfield @ ~6pm that day.
Bruised/lacerated spleen with internal bleeding - docs say that's okay and healing fine, so that's good.
Fractured T3-T8 (most of my Thoracic Spine) with T6 & T7 unstable - then blood around the spine and ligament damage around the spine from it as well.

Luckily I didn't need surgery right away. I'm in a brace for 3-6 months with lots of restrictions. Doctors said I should recover and I think I'm pretty lucky to have all my feeling and movement in extremities. I go see the Neurosurgery team next Friday to see how things are healing and hopefully get some updates. Hopefully I'll have a full recovery and no complications.

Right now I'm able to get around and walk and stuff, it's just lots of pain all the time. I was in the hospital/rehab for a week and a half, so it was really great to get home a couple weeks ago.

People keep asking if I'm going to stop/quit snowboarding or get back out next season... but I haven't really given it much thought. Just trying to focus on getting better and back to a normal life - being able to pick up my son, not being in constant pain, etc.

If/when I do get back out there I'll need a bunch of new equipment though... helmet dented a bit, jacket got ripped taking it off/moving me, Ski Patrol/First Aid had to cut off all my other upper layers and my nice Oakley Flight deck prizm lenses got destroyed in the mess also. But that's all replaceable stuff.

I'm more disappointed that we didn't get to have our son get out on the snow that weekend though and now I can't help with that probably the rest of the season. Hopefully my wife will be able to get out and ride again this season and maybe in the Spring I'll be healed enough to drag around the little guy on his Riglet Reel. We'll see I guess.

bdfreetuna

Wow... what a nightmare but thank God you're healing up without major surgery, or worse. Glad you're finding solace in life's real priorities. Guessing your son is pretty young, next year will be just as good to hit the hill.

Good part about skiing with kids (or wife) is you tend to keep the speed down a bit. I bet you will be anyway!

Best wishes on your healing up and enjoying your time as a Dad in the meantime.

Jcb890

Wow... what a nightmare but thank God you're healing up without major surgery, or worse. Glad you're finding solace in life's real priorities. Guessing your son is pretty young, next year will be just as good to hit the hill.

Good part about skiing with kids (or wife) is you tend to keep the speed down a bit. I bet you will be anyway!

Best wishes on your healing up and enjoying your time as a Dad in the meantime.
Yeah definitely. Hoping I get good news on Friday as well and continue to avoid surgery. Thank you, I appreciate the well-wishes.

Yeah, he's 20 months old. Thankfully he's walking around, but of course still wants to be picked up often. If nothing else we'll drag him around inside the house once I'm healed. But I was hoping to get him out on the snow again this season. We'll see what happens I guess.

Pez

Oh wow that sounds horrible. I hope you continue to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Whitey

Good health, JCB. You'll be back at it by next season. Maybe the skiing gods are trying to tell you to put away the snowboard and get some skiis. . .

PS - Is it me or does it seem like a lot of long-time AZers are going down with season-ending injuries this year?