• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Newpylong

She's been around Vail for a while and will help Snow get into their system more.

She knows her stuff and cares about the guest experience.

That's what I got on that.

prsboogie

She's been around Vail for a while and will help Snow get into their system more.

She knows her stuff and cares about the guest experience.

That's what I got on that.
I would have to agree with the guest experience statement if what I experienced a Sunapee is a reflection of her vision. This past season the staff at Sunapee was extremely welcoming and friendly. Snow could definitely benefit from some of that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

FBGM

prsboogie

God I'm really starting to hate these huge corporations
Why is that? Because they are looking out for the betterment of the general public? Following the recommendations of CDC and Gov? God forbid.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pez

no, not with this. Just in general. Everything is just getting swallowed up by these big entities.

sull1102

This will be very interesting for Snow I suspect. The author of that article certainly didn’t seem very hyped about the new GM with the line about being at Sunapee for less than five months. Erik had been at Snow for some time under Kelly Pawlak(who was awesome). I’m surprised they didn’t move someone from Okemo down rt 100.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Sad news again for the Mount Snow community.

The twin brother of Cleon Boyd, Leon, passed away today from COVID-19, less than a week after his brother passed away from COVID-19.

Cleon was featured in this October '18 episode of their We Love Snow segments. His twin brother Leon also spent many an hour in the operators seat of cat on the hill as well.

https://youtu.be/LJQdIff2klo

Considering that the family tended not to stray far from the area and their family farm which is a long-standing staple in the region for generations, preventing tragic events like has happened to the Boyd family is exactly why mountains closed to all uphill traffic to keep folks from traveling to the region and bringing the virus with them....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

laxski

Just terrible news for the family. As a 20 year property owner in the area would love to get up there but realize the importance of staying put.

jaytrem

Sad news again for the Mount Snow community.

The twin brother of Cleon Boyd, Leon, passed away today from COVID-19, less than a week after his brother passed away from COVID-19.

A friend sent me a text about that. I was really hoping she was mistaken, apparently not. Very sad. I hope the rest of the family gets through it okay. With them and that NJ family losing 4 people, it makes you wonder how much genetics play a role.

MikeDeJ

What happened to the Boyd's was terrible, my son know the grandson he also had COVID and did recover.

On another side of this what is going on at Mt Snow or the rest of the Vail properties for summer ops??? The websites have not been updated since March and Facebook is silent? I don't see any maintenance at the mountain of any kind. Im at the point they are not going to operate this summer but the winter maintenance still needs to be done, they did not even finish moving the groomers or all the hoses, it is like they fell off the face of the earth!!!! Not sure if it is COVID or money problems or a combo of both.

MikeD

Newpylong

All hourly employees at Vail owned mountains were laid off in April - salaried employees were given 20% reductions in pay. They are currently in a hiring freeze even for departmental managers, of which many of the mountain's are lacking currently. Whatever staff is left is doing what routine maintenance they can, but obviously that is slow going.

drjeff

Pretty much, based on posts of friends of mine who are residents in the area, they're maintaining the golf course (targeting a late June opening) and FWIW someone on I believe it was Ski The East's FB page yesterday showed sister resort, Okemo, with both of their lower quads out of the base area running yesterday with what looked like mountain ops folks doing some work on them.

I would guess that based on the Epic By Nature podcast that Rob Katz, Vail Resort's CEO, put out a few weeks ago about the intentions for something resembling "normal" Summer Ops plans at all of their properties beginning in late June, that you'll start to see them coming out of their hiring freeze and get some employees back for a gear up for Summer ops which likely will also involve the finishing up of the shut down procedures from the Winter and the start of the "regular" off season maintenance, especially now that VT has eased, and in some cases eliminated, it's 14 day mandatory quarantine, for those traveling to VT

icecoast1

, especially now that VT has eased, and in some cases eliminated, it's 14 day mandatory quarantine, for those traveling to VT

With the exception of some rural counties in NY and NE, that 14 day quarantine is still in place. The bulk of the out of staters are still in places that VT says have to quarantine and probably wont meet the standards to not have to do that any time soon unless the state decides to change them

cdskier

With the exception of some rural counties in NY and NE, that 14 day quarantine is still in place. The bulk of the out of staters are still in places that VT says have to quarantine and probably wont meet the standards to not have to do that any time soon unless the state decides to change them

The fact that NJ and NY are more "open" than VT says a lot about VT's stance at this point. I agreed with VT's position in the beginning, but now it is just ridiculous.