Mount Snow: Inside Track - Page 94

AlpineZone

Page 94 of 123 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
    Official snow report from 8:18 this morning:

Last night, our snowmakers were able to make some major gains from the top of Canyon down right into the base area, with our fan guns hammering the trails as the temps dipped into the low 20s. Today we plan to continue making snow on Canyon, Cascade, Free Fall, and River Run ahead of tomorrow's opening, as long as we have a window to do so, and then we'll be switching back to opening day prep. We'll be releasing details later today as to which lifts we'll be utilizing this weekend, but I can say that we'll for sure be on Challenge over on The North Face. I was up on the summit last night for sunset and the piles have started to reach 8-10 feet in places. It's really amazing what our team can do in such a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    Sounds like Saturday will be epic. Rain, grass and mis-management. What else could a customer ask for.

I don’t get this push to open. Open when the product is good. Don’t rush to open just because with crap. Bragging rights are done, killington won those. Wait to open with a full and proper product.
    In the interest of being fair, I actually agree with you here. They fudged this up a bit. It is a gorgeous bluebird day up here today and Freefall was ready to go. Tomorrow and Sunday look like a total wildcard weather wise. I was up there two weeks ago today for a beer at the Bullwheel with the lady friend and there was a lot to be done but the hoses we're already out, they knew they were going to have a chance. Then there was the crap about announcement coming "soon" when "soon" was five days away. I get you want to open, but go look at Wildcat. They are doing it right and will open with the best terrain available in the East while K is on Day 7 and open midweek.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Mount Snow, thanks for the info and the pick. Not to mentioned the attempt to keep the cams clean. Wish I could be there for first chair, in the snow no less (hope changeover is after 3:30!).
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by sull1102 View Post
    In the interest of being fair, I actually agree with you here. They fudged this up a bit. It is a gorgeous bluebird day up here today and Freefall was ready to go. Tomorrow and Sunday look like a total wildcard weather wise. I was up there two weeks ago today for a beer at the Bullwheel with the lady friend and there was a lot to be done but the hoses we're already out, they knew they were going to have a chance. Then there was the crap about announcement coming "soon" when "soon" was five days away. I get you want to open, but go look at Wildcat. They are doing it right and will open with the best terrain available in the East while K is on Day 7 and open midweek.

Not really a fair comparison. Wildcat got a foot of snow and will open Lynx with one lift. Mount Snow, at much different elevation and geography is fighting with questionable weather, and has to have more qualified staff available with their configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by sull1102 View Post

Uh, your kinda of forgetting that Wildcat reported a FOOT of natural snow (more up top) so not exactly apples to apples.

And forgetting that Killington's open terrain is all above 3,400'. Mount Snow's summit is only 3,600'. Not apples to apples.

I think its pretty impressive Mt Snow will be open TTB, on two faces, with expert terrain available, with a vertical of 1,600'.

Personally I'm just happy 4 mountains are open, and bummed I can't be at any of them!

I agree that all things equal they should have opened today with the good weather (I bet they feel that way too) , but given the accelerated open I would hazard to guess that while the trails might have been ready some other necessary functions were not.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

They're farming at the base area...good sign...realllllly hoping for TTB
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Effort vs reward question... Wife is heading out of town tomorrow early for work. I was thinking about getting up at 4 AM and getting on the road from NJ for Mt Snow opening since I have no other commitments. Would just shoot back home after with some VT beer in tow.

Or do I get up at 4am and trek to Wildcat, get some turns Saturday, grab a cheap room somewhere near Conway and get in some turns Sunday as well??

2018-2019:
    Ready to go
    2017-2018 - 21, 2016-2017 - 20, 2015-2016 - 8, 2014-2015 - 10, 2013-2014 - 21, 2012-2013 - 12ish, 2011-2012 - 12, 2010-2011 - 20, 2009-2010 - 23, 2008-2009 - 30, 2007-2008 - 35

Quote Originally Posted by SnowRock View Post
    Effort vs reward question... Wife is heading out of town tomorrow early for work. I was thinking about getting up at 4 AM and getting on the road from NJ for Mt Snow opening since I have no other commitments. Would just shoot back home after with some VT beer in tow.

Or do I get up at 4am and trek to Wildcat, get some turns Saturday, grab a cheap room somewhere near Conway and get in some turns Sunday as well??
    As someone coming from Boston willing to drive 40 extra minutes to Wildcat compared to Snow tomorrow, I do not think the extra reward of Wildcat is worth it compared to the extra driving distance (I imagine on the order of hours longer) from NJ.

If you want to ski Sunday, I'd grab a room in VT and do 2 days at Snow rather than the Cat.

Just my 2 cents though!

Thanks and yeah I'm leaning that way as well... significantly more effort involved in the wildcat option!

Thread Information