• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

jaywbigred

Mountain didn't ski half bad this weekend and I was happy with the lack of crowds. Maybe the forecast of mixed precip kept people away. I skied a few hours midday right up until the time I started getting really glazed like a donut with ice, and then a couple more hours on Sunday morning off the fixed grip lifts while they got the detachables de-iced. I think they had everything running by mid-morning.

Snow report today said they were making snow, so that's a positive.

FBGM

Has the feeling that most people know they are on the way out so there is not too much incentive

Oh I’m sure that’s the attitude around there. The employee and manager base at Mount Snow was very sub par to begin with. The marginal half competent staff left has now seen 2 rounds of cuts. I’m sure they know time could be limited. Don’t blame them really. No reason to care or put in effort when you’re gonna get fired in a few months.

Vail really bought themselves a pile of shit that they are going to need to turn around before next winter. Luckily nothing happens in summer there and they can run a super lean crew while replacing the key people needed.

My question to the poor suckers who still ski there on the reg - how bad is it? How much of a noticeable difference in attitudes and work ethic? Has the time come yet where the plug has been pulled on money getting thrown at dumb stuff? It’s been a sub par winter for snow and revenue - I feel like snowmaking has to be about wrapped up. I can’t see Vail throwing any money at parks for rest of the year. Just grind it all out till the end. I’d assume they shut down earlier then normal? First week April?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh I’m sure that’s the attitude around there. The employee and manager base at Mount Snow was very sub par to begin with. The marginal half competent staff left has now seen 2 rounds of cuts. I’m sure they know time could be limited. Don’t blame them really. No reason to care or put in effort when you’re gonna get fired in a few months.

Vail really bought themselves a pile of shit that they are going to need to turn around before next winter. Luckily nothing happens in summer there and they can run a super lean crew while replacing the key people needed.

My question to the poor suckers who still ski there on the reg - how bad is it? How much of a noticeable difference in attitudes and work ethic? Has the time come yet where the plug has been pulled on money getting thrown at dumb stuff? It’s been a sub par winter for snow and revenue - I feel like snowmaking has to be about wrapped up. I can’t see Vail throwing any money at parks for rest of the year. Just grind it all out till the end. I’d assume they shut down earlier then normal? First week April?
When is the last time you've skied there? Has to be recent and frequent to have the level of knowledge you claim to have about their staff and operations.

You've had sand in your vagina over the place since day one of you signing up for this forum. It's oddly obsessive and juvenile to virtually anyone that reads your drivel, but I'm more curious about your personal experience.

What say you Sandy V?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

They might shut down first week of April unless the snowfall picks up. I'm just hoping NoVT holds up for end of March into April... got a week booked up in Stowe.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Everyone should watch this quick video/song and read FBGM's posts at the same time.

Newpylong

Their V.P. of Projects (someone he frequently discussed) left for Boyne, so there's one less thing to have to listen to.

FBGM

Their V.P. of Projects (someone he frequently discussed) left for Boyne, so there's one less thing to have to listen to.

Surprised his head fit through a door for an interview. He was gonna get fired at season end - he knew it. Useless position.

When is the last time you've skied there? Has to be recent and frequent to have the level of knowledge you claim to have about their staff and operations.

You've had sand in your vagina over the place since day one of you signing up for this forum. It's oddly obsessive and juvenile to virtually anyone that reads your drivel, but I'm more curious about your personal experience.

What say you Sandy V?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

bump

care to respond???

MikeDeJ

I ski the mtn 1-2 days a week, 40-50 times a year, my son also works at Carinthia in the parks. Vail really has changed nothing yet. They are still making a ton of snow and the quality has been as good as the weather allows. The grooming has been as good a usual, the mtn always does a good job on snow quality and grooming. They have has issues with broken machines but really nothing that does not happen every year. The lifts have been a little tough this year, between the weather and some old equipment they have had to scramble at little. really in my opinion they really dont have the personal they need. It is tough to find seasonal employees and all ski areas have struggled with this. I think the Epic pass has added to the crowds, but with the Drifter pass (the 18-28 year old peak pass) going away next season this may equalize things a little??

I have not noticed any changes in procedures (making snow, grooming, food service..etc) or the staff this season vs last. As far as your comment about not throwing money at the parks, you have no idea what you are talking about!! The parks have been reset more this year then last already, they added a new park and snowmaking on Fool's gold. Yes the half pipe is not a 18 foot wall pipe but more a fun wavy pipe which opened today.

As far as closing date really way too early but Easter Sunday is the 12th of April, I expect this will be the last day weather permitting. With Vail fully taking over May1st I expect them not to push it too far this season. Your hate for Vail/mtsnow really shows thru get over it and get some facts, and if you cant get over please just dont go there. I enjoy the place ( along with a few other areas in New England) and love the sport.

MikeD

njdiver85

As someone who skis there 50+ days a year, and mostly on weekends, I will say that the issue is really not the quality of personell working there, but the quantity. They are extremely understaffed in all areas relative to the skier counts. They need more lift maintenance staff to get things open quicker after icing and mechanical problems, especially given the issues they've had lately on the Summit Express and various fixed grip lifts. They need more people to manage the lift lines and get ALL the lifts starting at 8am on busy days. They need more people in food services to serve people in the restaurants, or get food out on the grab and go counters, and to stay on top of bathrooms and garbage issues. They need more people at the ticket windows to avoid the early morning lines. And more workers in plenty of other places as well. And this is not simply me coming to this conclusion. Just about every "regular" I talk to has the same comments.

jaywbigred

Wow, came here just to check on current conditions and see if anyone had skied Mt. Snow this week and found...some interesting posts.

Anyone have any first hand accounts of how bad the icing has been?

slatham

Snow report shows most/all high speed lifts not running. Meanwhile, I looked at Stratton and while the gondi is not running they have several high speed lifts running.

njdiver85

Heard from a few different people that the number of lift mechanics working at Mount Snow is down significantly this year. Explains a lot.

slatham

Wow, the hits keep coming. No sooner does it change to snow when they lose power and shut everything.

"2:40pm Update: Due to a power outage across the mountain, all lifts are closed and will remain closed for the rest of the day."

Anyone sitting in the lodge at Mt Snow should not look at the stratton cams with it dumping and all lifts in sight - even the gondi now - running.