Mount Snow: Inside Track - Page 93

AlpineZone

Page 93 of 123 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    I've never worked operations at a mountain, but how much of a scramble is it to open for a place like Snow? They announced a decent bit ago.

I'm not saying it isn't a TON of work, which I'm sure it is, I'm actually saying i feel like they would be more on top of it. Maybe its the sorta thing you can never be on top of though.
    I can't say for Mount Snow directly...but I don't think any mountain goes into a season fully "ready". It's always a scramble the last few weeks. The root always seems to be there's very little talented labor on staff in October/November to prep things given the size of the operation.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Mt Snow, you have one of the best CAM setups of any area. Yet right now when everyone who cares is looking at them, then are a wet, icy mess (which I know is overall good because it means snow is being made). Couldn't someone do a pass every once in a while to clear them? The base CAM at least shouldn't be inconvenient for the marketing staff.....
    We're working on it, but the guns are hammering right now. We've been up to clean them about twice a day, but their heaters can't keep up with the snowguns.

Here's an example of what we're looking at. This was our Somerset Cam yesterday.
    IMG_6729.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    I've never worked operations at a mountain, but how much of a scramble is it to open for a place like Snow? They announced a decent bit ago.

I'm not saying it isn't a TON of work, which I'm sure it is, I'm actually saying i feel like they would be more on top of it. Maybe its the sorta thing you can never be on top of though.
    We'll give you a little peek behind the curtian.

We annouced opening about a week ago and it's a whole month earlier that we were planning on opening for the season. This means that there's been about a month's worth of work to fit into just under a week. Lifts need to be tested and inspected, food and bev operations need to prepare to open for winter operations, the resort needs to transion from summer to winter (we actually just held a big mountain bike race here two weeks ago). Add on top of that the need to find staff and get them in a month earlier than planned, and you can start to see what's been going on.

We'll be ready though. See you on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I can't say for Mount Snow directly...but I don't think any mountain goes into a season fully "ready". It's always a scramble the last few weeks. The root always seems to be there's very little talented labor on staff in October/November to prep things given the size of the operation.
    They don't start until Aug 1 when the new fiscal year starts. Very little money in Q4 unless there are previously budget capital projects.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    To bring this thread back to Mt Snow, still nothing but patches on the base area cam, the green patches are bigger than the white ones.
    Sounds like Saturday will be epic. Rain, grass and mis-management. What else could a customer ask for.

I donít get this push to open. Open when the product is good. Donít rush to open just because with crap. Bragging rights are done, killington won those. Wait to open with a full and proper product.

Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    Sounds like Saturday will be epic. Rain, grass and mis-management. What else could a customer ask for.

I don’t get this push to open. Open when the product is good. Don’t rush to open just because with crap. Bragging rights are done, killington won those. Wait to open with a full and proper product.
    I don't consider Free Fall top to bottom in October crap at all... Have fun not skiing though

I would rather do what my username monogram implies rather then ski in the rain and mud.

Wealth of all related ski knowledge out!

I would rather do what my username monogram implies rather then ski in the rain and mud.

I can't wait to post pics from my trip report of lapping the AM powder on Freefall.

If you like grass and mud that's gonna be next weekend, unfortunately. Get it now folks! Imo K will be the only game in town next weekend unless SR and Wildcat have blown DEEP.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

The fact that you are always on this board posting stupid comments indicates to me that you are doing neither.

Iíll be there for first chair, hopefully will be able to get a few laps in before it turns to sleet. Wonder what the crowds will be like? Last year was no issue, but this year no Long John or The Gulch to spread people out. Hopefully the Ops team will be able to get Canyon open all the way to the bottom.

Thread Information