Mount Snow: Inside Track - Page 103

AlpineZone

Page 103 of 123 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1223
    Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Would be cool if Mt Snow used their new system to build up a Superstar style glacier on north-facing Freefall and give Killington some springtime competition. It would cut the drive time for me in half, and I’m confident I would be able to find some partiers at Cuzzins. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to happen though.
    We don't have the right lift system to pull that off. Think about it, if we did that on Freefall, we'd still need to run one base-to-summit lift on the Main Face to get guests up and down, and then would need to run Challenger as well. The economics of late season activities, which tend to be much lower attendence than early season and mostly consist of brown bag lunches and beers on a tailgate, just don't make it viable to run two lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    But then you'd have to run one of the main face lifts to get there...that's a lot of $$$. And you lose the tailgate scene Killington has. I also don't think Freefall is wide enough for a Superstar-esque "spine" of snow.
    You read our minds.

The only area that would fit the bill from an accessibility and trail characteristic perspective is something on Carinthia. Likely Nitro or Inferno. 1 lift, 1 medium length run, close (nice new) base facility, etc. Already a sh*t ton of snow there anyway.

Elevation and direction are the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    The only area that would fit the bill from an accessibility and trail characteristic perspective is something on Carinthia. Likely Nitro or Inferno. 1 lift, 1 medium length run, close (nice new) base facility, etc. Already a sh*t ton of snow there anyway.

Elevation and direction are the negatives.
    I second the thought that Carinthia would be a very nice setup for later-in-April skiing. Mow down the huge jumps and features, of course. They used to finish the season on just Carinthia/Long John but it's been years since that setup.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

I'll jump on the Carinthia spring train as well. I think Nitro/Mine Shaft/Inferno could last quite a while given the right weather. Nitro could last a longgggg time when you spread those jumps out and just keep some rails/boxes out to keep people happy. Although I have seen all of melt out REAL fast before.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Once that snow gets skied and tilled, it goes quick. But I'd sure be willing to help ski it away.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

The issue, aside from it's elevation (or lack there of) and Easterly exposure in general for the slopes of Carinthia, is no matter which snowmaking trail you'd attempt to go super deep late season on, you've got a couple hundred yard (if not more) of flats to deal with, which would require a MASSIVE amount of snow to go really late on.

Even maybe 4 or 5 seasons ago now when the reopened for one weekend in late April on Carinthia and Beartrap, when they pushed out the jumps on some of the trails to make a continuous run, the amount of snow in those jumps spreads out much "thinner" than many, who aren't in the mountain ops business, thought it would.

Remember, Killington goes LATE with Superstar because the essentially make a depth of snow that equals the height of many of the big jumps at Carinthia, the entire length of the trail!! A BIG difference in the amount of snow Mount Snow produces on any 1 trail at Carinthia

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Flats just don't last in spring. You're always walking through the Superstar lift maze the last few weekends Killington is open. No one can beat K at the end of the season--you just can't get a better setup than Superstar. Elevation, slope, exposure, ability to stockpile snow, lift access, it's got it all. Early season might be a dogfight when each area has its own advantages, but there's no point in competing for the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Keelhauled View Post
    Flats just don't last in spring. You're always walking through the Superstar lift maze the last few weekends Killington is open. No one can beat K at the end of the season--you just can't get a better setup than Superstar. Elevation, slope, exposure, ability to stockpile snow, lift access, it's got it all. Early season might be a dogfight when each area has its own advantages, but there's no point in competing for the end of the year.
    Don't forget about the ubar right at the bottom and the access road to tailgate on.

Quote Originally Posted by Keelhauled View Post
    New Superstar was built for late season in mind. The trail, Snowmaking line, and lift.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information