Mount Snow: Inside Track - Page 110

AlpineZone

Page 110 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1223
    If the North Face is full on open then Mt Snow has some fun and interesting expert terrain, and a true challenge in both Jaws and Rip Cord. It's the front side that gives it the flat/boring reputation, but even the front side has some fun trails here and there, like Uncles. It just amazes me the lemmings flocking to the Blue Bird, to wait in line while Grand Summit is ski on, to lap the front side and never go to the North face. But then again if all skiers thought as logically as I do they'd all be at Magic
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

I don't think you can judge a resort by lift lines this weekend. All are still on limited terrain/lifts, but from what I saw, drew an almost midwinter weekend crowd on Saturday thanks to Snovember. SR was beyond nuts lift lines and that was with 6 lifts and 5 Pods in play. No doubt Snow had the same issues. But in all seriousness, not sure you want a ton more capacity on same terrain acreage. Just makes for more crowded trails vs lines at lifts.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

On closing day this spring, I wandered into the glades off of Olympic for the 1st time. 3rd week in April, full coverage of soft corn, and I never skied the same line run after run, and even though it's wasn't super steep or extremely challenging, I couldn't stop smiling!! Also enjoyed the glades off on Nitro, even though the coverage was not as deep.

Mt Snow is what it is, and can be a lot of fun. And they are not shy about using their new snow making power!

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I don't think you can judge a resort by lift lines this weekend. All are still on limited terrain/lifts, but from what I saw, drew an almost midwinter weekend crowd on Saturday thanks to Snovember. SR was beyond nuts lift lines and that was with 6 lifts and 5 Pods in play. No doubt Snow had the same issues. But in all seriousness, not sure you want a ton more capacity on same terrain acreage. Just makes for more crowded trails vs lines at lifts.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app
    With the long lifts the trails already have too many people on them with the lifts they have now. More uphill capacity to ski on the same trails won't make the experience any better.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    With the long lifts the trails already have too many people on them with the lifts they have now. More uphill capacity to ski on the same trails won't make the experience any better.
    It will just from the point of view of elimination of 25-45 minute lift lines though. This weekend is a true test though because Sunbrook is not open. As DrJeff said, once that pod gets a detach lift and a dining/warm up setup(I've heard yurt tossed around but at this rate of growth I think you really need to start thinking bigger like Schwendi Hutte at WV) it will bring some people off the main face, when that pod is open. The main highways can't take much more, Long/Little John/Deer Run, Ridge, Cascade to Canyon, all are maxed out but the other options in between frequently have fewer skiers on them even on weekends. I really think something that might help would be Tumbleweed/Sundance being replaced with a high speed quad following the exact same line. That would get people out of the main base area and down to Sundance, and I'm talking like this summer do this don't even need to wait for the whole redesign of everything in the area. From the top of Sundance you could get folks going to Carinthia and Ridge off most of Long John, also you get access to most of the Main Face trails that really aren't as heavily used as well.

I also strongly think that someone needs to begin looking into Nitro being swapped out for a six-pack with the long lines that are sure to come. Heavy Metal going to a quad is great and all, but it's just going to feed the bottom of Long John even more as people look to the shorter lift line to get back to the main mtn.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

This is a great conversation as to why I love/hate Mount Snow... it has the best intermediate terrain anywhere, IMO. Tough claim, I know. But it has the best variety of groomers, wide slopes, and narrow natural snow intermediates. The vertical drop of 1,600 feet is not super impressive, but the length of the main face trails is astounding. I love trails like Uncle's, Hop, Shootout, One More Time, Drifter, and many other bumped up trails on the main face. If everything is open they'll groom 60-70% of the mountain (more weekends/holidays), on-par with Killington and Sugarbush. Outside of Ripcord and Jaws there is not much steep stuff, but the variety of the mountain makes up for it. I truly spend more time on blues at Mount Snow than I'll spend on the blues at any other hill, simply because there is so much to offer.

Unfortunately I fear a march to 100% snowmaking at Mount Snow, making all the trails homogenized and turning Mount Snow into Okemo or Stratton South. And of course the crowds have scared me away weekends December-early March.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    If everything is open they'll groom 60-70% of the mountain (more weekends/holidays), on-par with Killington and Sugarbush.
    Sugarbush rarely grooms that high of a % of open terrain. If they're 100% open, SB will typically groom about 35-40% midweek and 45-50% of terrain on weekends.

Just a heads up, before folks probably start in with the complaints about why isn't more open, or why aren't they running more lifts today, etc.

Multiple friends of mine, who live in the same condo complex my wife and I own in across Route 100 from the mountain have been posting pictures of roughly 15" totals on their back decks. They are also making comments about how it's the consistency and weight of elmer's paste, that the power keep flicking on and off, and that it sounds like gun fire outside on a regular basis with all of the tree limbs snapping under the weight of the snow.

This isn't a storm of blower quality snow. It's great base snow for sure, but it's causing a whole host of tree and power problems as well as some road closure issues effecting staff from getting to the mountain due to numerous downed trees and wires across some roads
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Thanks for the update Jeff.
    Power is back on and lifts should start running shortly. 19" and counting at the summit!

Just a heads up to all the roads are a disaster and RT9 is a Trainwreck be careful out there snow tires and AWD/4WD a must.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Thread Information