• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

crazy

At first I thought this was the nastiest, ugliest, most mean-spirited and disgraceful post that I've ever read on this board. But then I got to the last line about raging hard at Mount Snow and realized - stupid me - that the post was intended as an obvious parody.

Yes, I was hoping that the parody would be obvious. I don't like it when people treat humans as race gates, or do any of the stuff I posted about.

Take it easy, guys. Crazy is the girl on the right. She rages hard AF. Good skier too.

View attachment 25566

Yup, exactly.

Los

maybe we'll see you sunday! I'll be there with my three sons for our first day of the season. Please don't yell at us! haha

drjeff

Pushing for expansion big time this afternoon when I arrived about 4PM. Was 36 on my car thermometer along route 100 infront of the resort. Fan guns running on roughly the top half of Nitro, Ridge down to where it hits the flat and the top half of snowdance. More fans have been lit up further down the mountain as the evening has gone on. Still 32 at my place across the street at 8PM, radar shows the front that will drop the temps to prime Snowmaking range is about an hour away.

Word from the shop guys as I was talking with this evening while getting my new boots and footbeds molded and fit is that is was pretty good on the hill today!

Kicking off my 41st ski season tomorrow morning!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Was up there yesterday for my first day out and can attest to the fact that it was indeed quite nice. Winds stayed calm and sun was out most of the day.

No crowds, (today will be different), and solid base depth on the open trails. ROTD was Chute on the North Face as they left it "whaled up" and the snow was soft and edge able top to bottom. It was a full length rollercoaster/hero snow and bumps. Had to take it three or four times it was so good.

Skied about 5 hours and 23+k vertical. So many people I spoke with were there due to the Epic Pass (as was I). Not a bad first day.

Enjoy!!

Jcb890

How are the crowds today? Debating making the drive up tomorrow to get some turns in.

Seems like a somewhat steady flow to bluebird looking at the webcams but looks like it might not be too busy? Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

granite

Was up there yesterday for my first day out and can attest to the fact that it was indeed quite nice. Winds stayed calm and sun was out most of the day.

No crowds, (today will be different), and solid base depth on the open trails. ROTD was Chute on the North Face as they left it "whaled up" and the snow was soft and edge able top to bottom. It was a full length rollercoaster/hero snow and bumps. Had to take it three or four times it was so good.

Skied about 5 hours and 23+k vertical. So many people I spoke with were there due to the Epic Pass (as was I). Not a bad first day.

Enjoy!!

Agreed, I was there too. I think we were the only ones skiing Chute. I was impressed with the amount of snow they laid down on all the open runs-top to bottom.

Jcb890

Uh oh!
Snow Report @ 11:30 says North Face on hold.
I just took a look at the Somerset cam and it looks like they're rapelling people down off the lift??

Razor

Lol. Vail shaking their head at the crap they bought out.

We were there Friday, and were stuck at the bottom when the Challenger lift was stopped for about 20 minutes. It ran ok after that. Guess we lucked out.

Jcb890

Snow report indicates North Face open tomorrow. Wonder if they run the other lift or if they fixed Challenger.

Edit: Snow Report says Challenger will run on NF. Oh boy, lol.

Last edited:

FBGM

There is absolutely no reason or excuse for a lift to break and be evacuated opening weekend. What did your lift mechanics do all summer? I mean, the mount snow ones and to high and to incompetent to fix anything. I’m sure Vail is embarrassed at this. And I’m sure heads will roll and better personnel will come in to fix their ongoing cluster fuck of lift mistakes that just seem to get worse and worse.

We were there Friday, and were stuck at the bottom when the Challenger lift was stopped for about 20 minutes. It ran ok after that. Guess we lucked out.

I was at the bottom of the lift as well, but must have lucked out a bit. I saw the lift had stopped as I was halfway down, but probably only had about a 5-10 minute wait at the bottom before it started. Otherwise, it seemed to run fine all day.

I was contemplating what a Plan B would be if it was down, probably get the Outpost up and running, but not sure how long that would've taken......

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
That Challenger lift has been quite unreliable the past 5-8 years I feel. I've had a number on long stops and watched frustrated lifties climb up into/out of the top terminal resetting equipment.

Of the top of my head I want to say it's either a 1982 or 1984 Yan. It's a workhorse alright; it runs everyday November-April unless wind puts it on hold and makes Outopost the go-to. I'd like to see a high-speed quad on that side of the hill.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
That Challenger lift has been quite unreliable the past 5-8 years I feel. I've had a number on long stops and watched frustrated lifties climb up into/out of the top terminal resetting equipment.

Of the top of my head I want to say it's either a 1982 or 1984 Yan. It's a workhorse alright; it runs everyday November-April unless wind puts it on hold and makes Outopost the go-to. I'd like to see a high-speed quad on that side of the hill.

Its a Yan. Time to be replaced....

cdskier

There is absolutely no reason or excuse for a lift to break and be evacuated opening weekend. What did your lift mechanics do all summer? I mean, the mount snow ones and to high and to incompetent to fix anything. I’m sure Vail is embarrassed at this. And I’m sure heads will roll and better personnel will come in to fix their ongoing cluster fuck of lift mistakes that just seem to get worse and worse.

Yea...I mean, mechanical things always go exactly as planned. Shit happens... I'm no Vail fanboy either. I don't ski at any of the Vail (or legacy Peaks resorts) and I still think your comments are asinine.