• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Jcb890

Heal well jcb!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app
Thank you!

Wishing you a speedy recovery jcb! Hang in there! What a story. Wow!
Thank you Glenn!

Good health, JCB. You'll be back at it by next season. Maybe the skiing gods are trying to tell you to put away the snowboard and get some skiis. . .

PS - Is it me or does it seem like a lot of long-time AZers are going down with season-ending injuries this year?
Thanks! Honestly, I have/had been thinking about giving skiing a shot. Extra effective edge, etc. But, I don't think I would be very good and the learning curve would be very steep for me.

Wow. That's crazy. Best wishes JCB for a full recovery!
Thank you!

drjeff

Glad it seems like you're well on your way to a full recovery JCB!

It WILL make the eventual day when you get out on the hill, together, with your little on, all the more sweet!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

jaywbigred

Damn Jcb, crazy story and food for thought for me as I tend to ski fast especially on Intermediate terrain and I have a 4.5 year old and 18 month old. I'll be slowing it down a bit after hearing this. Too bad no one saw it happen to be able to explain it.
I had a crash on Plummet this weekend that came out of nowhere, I was conscious the whole time but other than knowing it was initiated by losing all edges on impenetrable ice crust that looked like soft snow (which was all over the place off-trail this weekend and around, here and there, on trail as well), I still have no idea exactly what transpired. Some how I wound up falling on top of my skis and between bouncing around with them and on the concrete ice, I have been pretty sore.

Anyway, most importantly glad your injuries were recoverable and that it sounds like you will probably be able to get back out there (at a slower speed) next year. Your kiddo will still be plenty young next year, you def. shouldn't worry on that front. My older one has been sliding around since about 18 months and she still barely has the leg muscles to manipulate the skis into a wedge to slow down. Can't turn yet, certainly not anywhere near ready to ride anything but the magic carpet. Some kids develop slowly...point being, you may have a couple of years before your little one is ready to do any meaningful riding, so don't sweat it.

Here's to continued healing!!! :beer:

Jcb890

Glad it seems like you're well on your way to a full recovery JCB!

It WILL make the eventual day when you get out on the hill, together, with your little on, all the more sweet!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
I think/hope so. I'll get more info on Friday, but hopefully it'll be good news. I feel like I'm slowly improving each day and have been able to slowly ramp up my PT and sticking with the PT... even though it certainly hurts and isn't fun,

Definitely! Can't wait to get the little guy back out there. We got him on his board at the end of last season (June) up at Killington, but he wasn't even walking yet at that point. So, we figured he'd at least have a little more fun this time with being able to walk and stand now and whatnot. Maybe I'll be able to get him out there on the snow again towards the tail end of this season, we'll see!

Wow that’s quite a brutal story. Hang in there JCB !!
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Damn Jcb, crazy story and food for thought for me as I tend to ski fast especially on Intermediate terrain and I have a 4.5 year old and 18 month old. I'll be slowing it down a bit after hearing this. Too bad no one saw it happen to be able to explain it.
I had a crash on Plummet this weekend that came out of nowhere, I was conscious the whole time but other than knowing it was initiated by losing all edges on impenetrable ice crust that looked like soft snow (which was all over the place off-trail this weekend and around, here and there, on trail as well), I still have no idea exactly what transpired. Some how I wound up falling on top of my skis and between bouncing around with them and on the concrete ice, I have been pretty sore.

Anyway, most importantly glad your injuries were recoverable and that it sounds like you will probably be able to get back out there (at a slower speed) next year. Your kiddo will still be plenty young next year, you def. shouldn't worry on that front. My older one has been sliding around since about 18 months and she still barely has the leg muscles to manipulate the skis into a wedge to slow down. Can't turn yet, certainly not anywhere near ready to ride anything but the magic carpet. Some kids develop slowly...point being, you may have a couple of years before your little one is ready to do any meaningful riding, so don't sweat it.

Here's to continued healing!!! :beer:
I don't mean it to be a precautionary tale or scare anyone away or anything like that. I know we all like to ride/ski fast. The speed I was going was certainly the reason for my injuries (obviously), but I have definitely gone faster - I know for a fact since I run Trace... which has also led to some 'discussions' with the wife and family in that regard as well.

I guess it's all about picking your spots and knowing the terrain. Perhaps I didn't know the terrain that day or in that spot as well as I thought or good enough. I've ridden that trail so many times, but maybe the rollers were a bit different that day or at least in that spot. I really don't know. That's the one thing I wish I remembered from the crash - how did I do it/how did it happen? I consider myself a strong rider and generally don't fall. But, I suppose it can happen to anyone.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not disappointed about getting my son out there because I think he 'needs' it to be good or anything like that. We realize he's still not really ready to get out there and shred. It was just something my wife and I were looking forward to, something we wanted to share with him. But, we have plenty of fun at home and we've got the little hover cover to pull him around inside the house too if nothing else. Maybe in a couple of months the pain will be gone/a lot less and I'll be able to ride in a car and be cleared for more movement and less restrictions with weight and we can bring him out for some fun on the 'slopes' - aka pulling him around on the snow down by the lifts, lol.

njdiver85

Anyone know what is going on with Canyon Express? Was supposed to open late today according to the snow report - never did, and now it looks like it will be down tomorrow as well. Seems like the hits keep coming.

FBGM

Anyone know what is going on with Canyon Express? Was supposed to open late today according to the snow report - never did, and now it looks like it will be down tomorrow as well. Seems like the hits keep coming.

Vail shaking their head at the piles of dog crap they now own. Crying over the amount of capitol needed to get the place out of the gutter.

zyk

Best wishes and fast recovery JCB! I slowed down after my last bad injury and than sped back up. Been recently rethinking that decision and find slow times with my niece rewarding as well.

zyk

Anyone got a guess on Mt Snow tomorrow? Looks liked a mixed mess followed by frigid temps and winds. Lift holds, decing etc? Or a very cold powder day? I'm on fence- I could leave tonight and stay with my brother or stay home and enjoy a nice bourbon a friend just gave me.

drjeff

Anyone got a guess on Mt Snow tomorrow? Looks liked a mixed mess followed by frigid temps and winds. Lift holds, decing etc? Or a very cold powder day? I'm on fence- I could leave tonight and stay with my brother or stay home and enjoy a nice bourbon a friend just gave me.

My friends on the hill now, via their FB pages, aren't reporting any freezing mist, just nice, moderate density snow. Temps look to be peaking right about now for the next few days, still upper 20's on the Summit weather stake cam, and no sign of glazing/moisture on the base elevation cams.

Wind holds may be a factor tomorrow. Doesn't appear based on what can be seen now that de-icing is likely to be an issue as the radar shows what little is left to come through ahead of the cold front is light and snow

Last edited:

zyk

My friends on the hill now, via their FB pages, aren't reporting any freezing mist, just nice, moderate density snow. Temps look to be peaking right about now for the next few days, still upper 20's on the Summit weather stake cam, and now sign of glazing/moisture on the base elevation cams.

Wind holds may be a factor tomorrow. Doesn't appear based on what can be seen now that de-icing is likely to be an issue as the radar shows what little is left to come through ahead of the cold front is light and snow

Thanks for the update! If I feel brave enough to face the cold I should be there.

slatham

My friends on the hill now, via their FB pages, aren't reporting any freezing mist, just nice, moderate density snow. Temps look to be peaking right about now for the next few days, still upper 20's on the Summit weather stake cam, and no sign of glazing/moisture on the base elevation cams.

This storm had little icing risk, and any risk was for minor amounts, way less than last week. From here on out they should be clear of ice. Cold on the other hand is coming.

Edd

I’ve been following this guy’s videos for awhile. Mostly, he rides Colorado but he’s hitting the east coast and started at Mt Snow. He’s making the trees look pretty good.

https://youtu.be/DsWE-5wW1hg

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Jcb890

Heal quick. Sounds like you have the momentum.

Best wishes and fast recovery JCB! I slowed down after my last bad injury and than sped back up. Been recently rethinking that decision and find slow times with my niece rewarding as well.
Thanks folks!
I do ride slower when with my wife and enjoy it. However, she was taking that day off and I was riding with my brother.

Jcb890

F*ck me... just got back from neurosurgery apt. and need to have surgery on my back/spine.
Back to square one/ground zero? I don't know. Doctor says rather than being in pain for 6 months and it not healing correctly I should be recovered ~4 weeks after surgery and hopefully back to normal. Not sure when I can be weight bearing yet, etc. Still waiting on follow-up apts. to be scheduled and to hear back today... sounds like surgery next week maybe. Saw the photos from the CT Scan... pretty obvious how messed up my back and those few vertebrae are.

Not going to lie, I'm pretty bummed today.

Edd

Being hurt friggin sucks and losing half a ski season makes it worse.

There’s a hundred stories like this on the board. I blew my knee in January about 10 years ago and lost the season.

The back is even worse. Sorry that it’s going crappy man. You’ll get through it. Think about next season.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ScottySkis

F*ck me... just got back from neurosurgery apt. and need to have surgery on my back/spine.
Back to square one/ground zero? I don't know. Doctor says rather than being in pain for 6 months and it not healing correctly I should be recovered ~4 weeks after surgery and hopefully back to normal. Not sure when I can be weight bearing yet, etc. Still waiting on follow-up apts. to be scheduled and to hear back today... sounds like surgery next week maybe. Saw the photos from the CT Scan... pretty obvious how messed up my back and those few vertebrae are.

Not going to lie, I'm pretty bummed today.

So sorry too hear that.
My back doctor told me that also but I choose cortizon shot which his huge help for me
But definitely not in same position as u
I have 2 slipped disc
My aunt("2 nd mom ��) and uncle where all that about back surgery
And they also choose cortizon shot