• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

icecoast1

Do we think these guys will get Canyon Quad open this weekend? Skiing with my S/o who is a beginner and was hoping for some snowdance access without needing to ski that awesome cascade trail that gets skied off by 930 am.

Probably, being a holiday weekend.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Do we think these guys will get Canyon Quad open this weekend? Skiing with my S/o who is a beginner and was hoping for some snowdance access without needing to ski that awesome cascade trail that gets skied off by 930 am.

They could but you'd probably not want them to do that. With only Canyon and Snowdance open below it that's a lot of traffic headed onto those trails plus the Cascade traffic from the Bluebird.

Jcb890

OH! And I forgot to mention I saw a BALD EAGLE on the drive up today. That alone made it worth the trip.
MERIKA!

chuckstah

Well, I'm definitely glad I didn't bail on my plan to head up today!

Canyon was buttery corduroy to start the morning off, pretty much hero snow. So good. I ran that back 3x in a row right away.
Rode from 9-12:30ish and now I'm back at home for a few meetings to end the day.
I made it out today as well from about 10-2. Great soft snow most everywhere. Bit of scratch on the top of Freefall and Cascade per usual, but great day, and plenty of routes open with 3-4 choices from each 3 pods. Felt like late March.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Typically for Thanksgiving Weekend, if they have the coverage (which they should easily) and the crowds are there (likely), Canyon Quad will spin, especially with the N.E. Time to Snowdance route available for lower level skiers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Got to Mount Snow for my second day of the season yesterday. The place was the emptiest I've seen in quite a while. The weather was a cloudy 40 degrees after a quick freeze the previous night. It made for really good carving conditions- firm base with a thin layer of edgable loose stuff on top. My favorites were Nitro (no features) and Canyon. Everything was in good shape but it's not fair to call Snowdance a beginner trail right now. It's at roughly 1/3rd width, maybe 4 cat tracks wide.

Snowmaking whales on Lodge. Guns set-up on Fallen Timbers. Looking at Monday for ski day #3...could be a Southern Vermont Special!

slatham

OH! And I forgot to mention I saw a BALD EAGLE on the drive up today. That alone made it worth the trip.
MERIKA!

I saw one yesterday on drive up. RT 22 in NY just North of art 2. Sitting on a sand bar in middle of creek.

Pez

Saw one the other day flying over the river near my house. Never seen one around there which is unusual since I live fairly close to the Quabbin.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Solid recovery effort on the hill today. Basically everything except Chute has either already been or is being resurfaced currently. A few sloppy air/water HKD's here and there, but overall a decent product.

Expansion mode is underway as well.

drjeff

Guess you’ve never seen real snowmaking and real
Production at a real mountain.
Not a bad effort at all for not even a 24hr run.

Same thing on Lodge. Made some piles with the HKD's in less than 24hrs. And in the case of a section of Lodge in just over 15 hours from when the pulled the bubbles off the haul rope yesterday afternoon about 4, and then had them shutdown about 8AM.

Just wondering if you have actually seen the system in the last 2 seasons since the upgrade, or if you are just going on your past level of perception and feelings about the now former ownership?

As someone who's been on the trails of Mount Snow the last 3 weekends and have seen the snowmaking effort and product firsthand, I have been quite happy with what has been put on the hill this season thus far.

About the only thing I have seen firsthand (and I don't base this critique on what may or may not be on the snowreport or a trip report I read from someone else) that I would question is that this morning, once they shutdown on the main and Northface, they didn't fire up on new terrain ahead of the storm to work on putting some base down.

The system is designed for maximum efficiency, and thus far they have tended to try and exploit that by running it often in more ideal conditions than marginal conditions when it comes to expansion after the initial opening push and mid season base building efforts. If you want to rant about using production data to influence when to turn the system on or not based on maximizing the number of acre feet produced while minimizing operating costs, then I would agree with you to some extent

Newpylong

Being sour with management is one thing, it is hard to discredit the amount of water that Mount Snow can convert per acre. I should actually say impossible, not hard.

Jeff I'm sure they're giving the crews a day off. Most mountains fired up Thanksgiving all the way into Sunday so its been a good run. When storms come, often comes the humidity. Not worth the hassle to run in most of the time. Tomorrow afternoon good WB returns.

Zand

Bought my ticket for tomorrow. I'll try to leave some snow on the trails for you guys.

taul

They were embarrassingly understaffed/unprepared for today. Lots not plowed, no semblance of lifeline management. EuroFunnel and no singles lines so chairs were going up with twos and threes. Fantastic day, but it was a running joke on every chair what a shitshow today was.

Zand

If they get another foot tonight should be a full refresh. Whats the best trail to hit at opening untouched, Jaws?