• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

drjeff

Seems earlier than last year, no?
Sunday April 22nd was Mount Snow's last day last season.

So if they go the extra weekend and operate through Easter Sunday, the 21st this year, no real difference. Add in the 3 or extra weekends in October and early November at the start of this season, and it's been a very good length season for Mount Snow this year

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

You are omitting the number of acres and front loaded days at the beginning of the season vs Magic. So, not that interesting in reality.

sull1102

Wow, seems like an early switch to weekends only given the snow level. This, in addition to Attitash not even making it to April for daily ops and Crotched not making it to April at all just shows why we should all appreciate the Killington management team that pushes the season into mid-May. I know this timeline is still considered normal for Peak, but the current snow is certainly above average and should warrant staying open longer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

Wow, seems like an early switch to weekends only given the snow level. This, in addition to Attitash not even making it to April for daily ops and Crotched not making it to April at all just shows why we should all appreciate the Killington management team that pushes the season into mid-May. I know this timeline is still considered normal for Peak, but the current snow is certainly above average and should warrant staying open longer.

Crotched should have been open last sunday but I doubt they would have had the coverage to open this weekend. Fact is it was a very lean year in southern nh compared to the greens and whites. Trees were skiable only a handful of days. Wildcat however is deep, would be nice to see them open daily through nh vacation week. Longterm forecast suggests continued below average temps.

Smellytele

Crotched should have been open last sunday but I doubt they would have had the coverage to open this weekend. Fact is it was a very lean year in southern nh compared to the greens and whites. Trees were skiable only a handful of days. Wildcat however is deep, would be nice to see them open daily through nh vacation week. Longterm forecast suggests continued below average temps.

Pats peak which always closes before April (last day Sunday 3/31) still has plenty of coverage so it isn’t a coverage thing. Well I guess it could be if the crotch cheaped out on snow making.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Glenn

With many areas, it's a lack of interest vs. a lack of snow. Kids are switching to spring sports and golf is starting up again. My wife and I have skied many a last day with prime conditions....and no one is there. They'll clamor to ski the WROD in November, but are nowhere to be seen when it's sunny, 50, soft snow and 75% of the mountain is open. Is what it is I suppose.

Ol Dirty Noodle

It’s all formulaic and analyzed by computers. Laws dictate the minimum number of staff/facilities required for ex amount of trails/lifts etc. if the analytics and projections don’t meet the cost of op or desired profit margin, it’s fiscally dictated they close.

drjeff

The other factor as well that can play a role more and more in this current era of multi resort passes, is if a pass product has a resort available in a general area, the question of how many resorts should they fiscally keep running later in the season, has to be considered as well.

I'm sure that we'll hear the annual line from Peak soon about how Peak passholders can continue to get their turns in for a few more weeks at Wildcat, however that's a heck of a more substantial drive from the New York and further South areas that they're selling a bunch of passes in these days than Mount Snow. And when they go late season at Big Boulder, it's almost all dedicated to park features.

The fiscal side of me gets this strategy for sure. The ski addict side of me doesn't like it as while it doesn't prevent me from getting later season turns on my pass, being purely selfish, it makes it much more logistically challenging and time consuming for sure...

tamedog

was up at mt snow mon-weds and had the place to ourselves. plenty of coverage and absolutely perfect spring conditions, not too heavy or wet.

icecoast1

Its mid April and it's going to be 50 and rain all week. Not really all that unreasonable

drjeff

Lots of sections of welded Snowmaking pipe showed up this past week staged along the bottom of Olympic.... Replacing existing pipe on the Northface? Maybe adding snowmaking to Olympic?? Time will tell I guess.....

chuckstah

Lots of sections of welded Snowmaking pipe showed up this past week staged along the bottom of Olympic.... Replacing existing pipe on the Northface? Maybe adding snowmaking to Olympic?? Time will tell I guess.....

I saw that pipe being delivered into the nearest parking lot to the Discovery Center a week ago Wednesday. I wondered where it was going? Looks like the promised snow-making expansion may be starting. But I like Olympic natural!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'd be OK with piping on Fool's Gold and Rusty Nail in Carinthia, Hop OR SHootout on the Main Face, and Big/Little Dipper in Sunbrook. Don't touch the North Face.

I'm bad...only got 3 days at Mount Snow this year :oops:. I do eyeball the report frequently tho...seems like more grooming this year Dr. Jeff???

Newpylong

At least Olympic is wide enough already where there should be no terrain changes required. When they start looking at runs like Jaws, Challenger, Uncles, Ledge, etc is when it's time to cry foul.

drjeff

Clarified by Mtn ops, the pipe currently staged at the bottom of Olympic, will be replacing old water pipe on Freefall this off season.

The pipe will be pulled over the snow once closing day has happened