• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

bdfreetuna

without more terrain no need for more lift improvements. maybe sunbrook but really isn't much terrain over there anyways.
too many people on the hill on weekends as is.

I ride with bubble up!!!!

Mount Snow needs more woods -- yeah they have some, it should be basically everywhere between trails. Spread people out more and slow them down a bit.

sull1102

without more terrain no need for more lift improvements. maybe sunbrook but really isn't much terrain over there anyways.
too many people on the hill on weekends as is.

I ride with bubble up!!!!
Sunbrook upgrade will drag a healthy portion of people over from the Main Face and help spread crowds seeing as people avoid the current long ride, but it also opens up a new efficient path to get from parking lot to the summit and North Face and avoid the main face all day if one so desired.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

GregoryIsaacs

Any other questions?

Congrats on the record year! (per Brattleboro Reformer)

"Mount Snow had an exceptional year with record skier visits and increased revenue, as our expanded and improved snowmaking capabilities resonated with guests," he said. "Skier visits for the 2017/2018 ski season were up 14 percent year over year at Mount Snow which compares favorably to the roughly 1.2 percent increase seen across the state of Vermont according to the Vermont Ski Areas Association. "

https://www.reformer.com/stories/exceptional-year-for-mount-snow,544847

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Congrats on the record year! (per Brattleboro Reformer)

"Mount Snow had an exceptional year with record skier visits and increased revenue, as our expanded and improved snowmaking capabilities resonated with guests," he said. "Skier visits for the 2017/2018 ski season were up 14 percent year over year at Mount Snow which compares favorably to the roughly 1.2 percent increase seen across the state of Vermont according to the Vermont Ski Areas Association. "

https://www.reformer.com/stories/exceptional-year-for-mount-snow,544847

Thanks Gregory, The future is looking bright!

raisingarizona

Mount Snow needs more woods -- yeah they have some, it should be basically everywhere between trails. Spread people out more and slow them down a bit.

That sounds like a lot of maintenance, especially out east where weeds grow like mad and the snow pack is thin.

Jully

Everyone wants to see the new snow making and improvements. Once the EB-5 money dries up and people see what the terrain actually is will they keep it up?

I wonder how much of those new visits were one offs midseason because of the publicity versus an increase in early or late season visits because of increased trail and acreage counts thanks to snowmaking.

They led the northeast from Veterans day through Christmas-ish in skiable acres. They also stayed open later with more trails than their So VT competition and made big resurfacing efforts after rainstorms and thaws were others did not.

I'm not a Mt Snow skier, but I bet they turned a good chunk of that 14% increase into repeat customers due to fast lifts and excellent snowmaking. If you're looking for good groomed conditions early season or after rough weather, Snow is now the place to go in VT. I bet they'll keep it up and set another record this year (assuming it is not a disaster year).

Smellytele

I wonder how much of those new visits were one offs midseason because of the publicity versus an increase in early or late season visits because of increased trail and acreage counts thanks to snowmaking.

They led the northeast from Veterans day through Christmas-ish in skiable acres. They also stayed open later with more trails than their So VT competition and made big resurfacing efforts after rainstorms and thaws were others did not.

I'm not a Mt Snow skier, but I bet they turned a good chunk of that 14% increase into repeat customers due to fast lifts and excellent snowmaking. If you're looking for good groomed conditions early season or after rough weather, Snow is now the place to go in VT. I bet they'll keep it up and set another record this year (assuming it is not a disaster year).

I went there this year and brought my teenage sons (their first times there) with me and if it wasn't on our pass we would not have gone. They did not like the terrain, hated the crowds and after their 1st visits didn't want to go back. Now that we no longer have Peaks passes we will not go there.

Newpylong

Everyone wants to see the new snow making and improvements. Once the EB-5 money dries up and people see what the terrain actually is will they keep it up?

I think "everyone" is a minuscule fraction of their annual skier visits. Joe Blow from CT sees 50 trails open in early December at only 2 hours away and their mind is made up. If conditions are good on said trails, then they are hooked and will likely return. New lodge and snowmaking improvements are not one-offs, these things will continue to propel numbers year over year.

FBGM

I think they will fizzle once peoplensee the smoke and mirrors of a bottom tier Vermont resort. The funny money will go away and people will be fine with driving a bit farther to the top notch resorts.

Smellytele

I think "everyone" is a minuscule fraction of their annual skier visits. Joe Blow from CT sees 50 trails open in early December at only 2 hours away and their mind is made up. If conditions are good on said trails, then they are hooked and will likely return. New lodge and snowmaking improvements are not one-offs, these things will continue to propel numbers year over year.
Just saying newness wears off. If Joe Blow sees 50 trails open then skis there and realizes it is only 20 with top, middle, lower (I know they don't actually name them that way like K does but they change the full names) then they see that every trail skis the same on the front then they may not come back.

gregnye

I predict Mt. Snow will continue to be crowded even after the EB-5 money dries up, simply because it's considered the flagship resort of Peaks. Just look at Attitash and wildcat. They are now part of the peaks pass as well but have only seen minimal increases in crowding. I don't see all those people from New York and Connecticut who currently go to Mt. Snow deciding to drive 3 more hours to Peak's New Hampshire resorts.

The only thing I could see jeopardizing Mt. Snow's numbers is if Killington somehow teamed up with other mountains in a similar pass to the Peaks Pass (so a better deal than Ikon).Maybe if Killington teamed up with a ski area in NY. Even then, Killington doesn't have the same reliable terrain park area to attract the same demographic as Mt. Snow, or the consistent (non-intersection abundant) trails.

DoublePlanker

I predict Mt. Snow will continue to be crowded even after the EB-5 money dries up, simply because it's considered the flagship resort of Peaks. Just look at Attitash and wildcat. They are now part of the peaks pass as well but have only seen minimal increases in crowding. I don't see all those people from New York and Connecticut who currently go to Mt. Snow deciding to drive 3 more hours to Peak's New Hampshire resorts.

The only thing I could see jeopardizing Mt. Snow's numbers is if Killington somehow teamed up with other mountains in a similar pass to the Peaks Pass (so a better deal than Ikon).Maybe if Killington teamed up with a ski area in NY. Even then, Killington doesn't have the same reliable terrain park area to attract the same demographic as Mt. Snow, or the consistent (non-intersection abundant) trails.

What about Okemo? Has superior intermediate skiing. Pulls from CT, NY, etc. Now owned by Vail, a company that could afford to out gun Mt Snore.

slatham

"Everyone wants to see the new snow making and improvements. Once the EB-5 money dries up and people see what the terrain actually is will they keep it up?"

The snowmaking improvements have been made and have put Mt Snow in a different league. People looking for more open terrain, quicker resurfacing etc. are hard pressed to find any area as good as Mt Snow. That will not change short term due to EB-5 issues (Which I'll bet get resolved quickly).

"What about Okemo? Has superior intermediate skiing. Pulls from CT, NY, etc. Now owned by Vail, a company that could afford to out gun Mt Snore."

I agree with your point on the Vail/Epic connection being a threat. But you're calling Mt Snow "Mt Snore" when compared to Okemo? Okemo has none of the excitement of Carinthia for the park crew, and no steeps that compare to the North Face. Sorry, the snooze award goes to Okemo, not Mt Snow.

i think the gains will hold, combined with the 25% increase of terrain at Hunter, the Peak pass will continue to draw from their sweet spot of skiers