• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

powhunter

Now I am not on Facebook, and it takes a lot to get me to laugh, but I was bored and was looking at Mt Snow's facebook page and saw this response regarding Mt Snow getting tops in the east rankings from Ski Mag. Cracked me up!!! No need to start a flame war about the rankings, but that response was great!

Steve Stankiewicz: Really? Wonder what place Jay got

Mount Snow: a FOR SALE sign...

Hell even I got a chuckle out of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FBGM

What kind of terrain this place got open? Seems like they are now getting run over in terms of trails/acreage and just overall. Reports from Killy look superior. Jay peak looks like they could be 100% open if wanted to be. Stowe Vail even gots good going. They playing with their $50 mil sprinkler system still? Should they have half open by now with that thing?

drjeff

What kind of terrain this place got open? Seems like they are now getting run over in terms of trails/acreage and just overall. Reports from Killy look superior. Jay peak looks like they could be 100% open if wanted to be. Stowe Vail even gots good going. They playing with their $50 mil sprinkler system still? Should they have half open by now with that thing?
Probably close to 30 trails by Friday of Thanksgiving weekend is my call right now. A dense 6" on my back deck from last night's storm. Temps around 29, making for not so favorable wet bulb temps right now. Guns on on Plummet, Snowdance and Inferno in the next few hours. Won't take much to get a bunch of stuff open with the as you put it "50 million dollar sprinkler system" (which if you actually understood that of the $52 million in phase 1 of Mount Snow's EB-5 money that the West Lake project was about $25 million, and the other 25+ million for the new Carinthia lodge) pumps out over 11000 gallons a minute for over a week in a row.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

I called them. They hope to start midweek operations this Wednesday, which is when I hope to start my season. It’ll be a decision between MS and Wildcat if they decide to open also.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

sull1102

Good day out here, I'm tempted to say v50/50 split day tickets and season passes, but HOLY SHIT the line for season passes... Out the building and wrapping around to the ticket windows out front, completely absurd. Snow is good down low, up top pretty tough to get an edge in a lot of spots, it's that super dense wet stuff and scraped off by 11. Down low is really really good though. Lift lines are comparable to just before Christmas vacation starts.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

Appears that peaks is having a good early season, line for the quad this morning at wildcat was about as long as I can remember. Best guess >50% paper tickets.

Glenn

Good day out here, I'm tempted to say v50/50 split day tickets and season passes, but HOLY SHIT the line for season passes... Out the building and wrapping around to the ticket windows out front, completely absurd. Snow is good down low, up top pretty tough to get an edge in a lot of spots, it's that super dense wet stuff and scraped off by 11. Down low is really really good though. Lift lines are comparable to just before Christmas vacation starts.

Nice report!

Do you have to physically pick season passes up there? It's been awhile since I've had one there. Currently, ours show up in the mail.

drjeff

Cars about 10 rows into the outer lots when me and the rest of the family drove in about 9:30. Lift lines not at all like I was expecting based on the fullness of the parking lot!! (Maybe everyone was in line to get their season passes [emoji6]) At most a 5 minute wait for the Bluebird (more regularly just 1 or 2 groups infront of my family in the Queue lane) Grand Summit was running which helped getting folks out of the base area and was pretty much ski to the end of the queue lane, get you pass scanned and go into "final approach" to load it. Maybe 15 groups waiting to board Heavy Metal the one time we went down there and the Northface was apparently having some mechanical issues when we wanted to go ski over there, so we passed today.

Snow surface had some isolated scratchy spots on the usual pitches on Cascade, Lodge and Ridge, and some isolated death cookies up high, but was soft and smooth on the lower half. A bunch of folks venturing out into the 6 or so inches of dense, base snow that fell lead to the sights of multi waterbar induced crashes and some "free stone grinds" since while the snow that fell WILL help speed expansion efforts, it's not enough to provide a deep enough base to adequately cover the ground

All in all, no complaints from my crew

sull1102

Just got home, biggest take aways from today are I see Grand Summit getting a lot more use this season with the new Northside only corral setup on the Bluebird. Even today where the lines weren't longer than 5 minutes the Summit was being well used, more than I've seen it midseason sometimes. Also there's way too many people out there with no clue how to ski and are a danger and Long John is really dangerous. You can't park at Carinthia so there's only one way to get over there at all and the trail was PACKED. Everywhere else was pretty open and free space but Long John Jesus.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Inexperienced skiers not only struggle with the physical motions of the sport, but also their judgment on conditions. ;)

If you desire sharing the slopes with fewer of these kinds of skiers, MT Snow might not be where you want to go.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

Inexperienced skiers not only struggle with the physical motions of the sport, but also their judgment on conditions. ;)

If you desire sharing the slopes with fewer of these kinds of skiers, MT Snow might not be where you want to go.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
Of course, especially on the weekends. I'm also 90% of time out there midweek and never on Long John unless I'm cutting over to Carinthia where I usually park so possibly for me it was just a case of forgetting what the weekends can be like. I was just surprised, especially by the parents who do seem to have skill and should know better with these kids with no helmet, etc etc. Today I saw at least 8 kids walking down the trail, if your kid is walking down Long John you should know the skill level enough to know they shouldn't be up top yet and build that confidence in the bunny slope so when they do go up top they feel like they can do it and have fun.

drjeff

Of course, especially on the weekends. I'm also 90% of time out there midweek and never on Long John unless I'm cutting over to Carinthia where I usually park so possibly for me it was just a case of forgetting what the weekends can be like. I was just surprised, especially by the parents who do seem to have skill and should know better with these kids with no helmet, etc etc. Today I saw at least 8 kids walking down the trail, if your kid is walking down Long John you should know the skill level enough to know they shouldn't be up top yet and build that confidence in the bunny slope so when they do go up top they feel like they can do it and have fun.

That scenario (parents over estimating the ability and/or patience of their kids - spouses or boyfriend's/girlfriend's as well) happens WAY more often than many would imagine, especially if one doesn't semi regularly go down the primary beginner summit trail at a major resort.

The parent/more advanced spouse/more advanced boyfriend (rarely a more advanced girlfriend simply because the male ego won't give in to frustration 99.9% of the time [emoji6] ) puts the lesser skilled person in their group into a situation far beyond their ability level, often because the more advanced person wants to ski more terrain.

One can argue for sure at Mount Snow yesterday that this was exacerbated by the Discovery Triple not being open for beginners (I can see it getting hammered with the fan guns currently out my back deck window) and then the basic underlying concept that comes into play at times of the notion that one can teach someone else instead of paying for a lesson.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Long John...Great Eastern/Northern...Belt Parkway...the four most dangerous trails in the Northeast on any given Saturday. These trails need no introduction. The mountains they're at do not need to be named. They are that infamous. Few on this forum would ever dare to go down these trails on a weekend, save for access to another, much safer option. I'm getting chills just writing this.

Zand

Long John...Great Eastern/Northern...Belt Parkway...the four most dangerous trails in the Northeast on any given Saturday. These trails need no introduction. The mountains they're at do not need to be named. They are that infamous. Few on this forum would ever dare to go down these trails on a weekend, save for access to another, much safer option. I'm getting chills just writing this.

Anything from the summit at Wachusett during the first week of school groups is right up there too :D