• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

slatham

Ripcord could present an interesting challenge for the snowmakers with all of this natural on it, as typically, when they're making snow on it, they make a really wet base layer to try and essentially "bond" that base layer to the rocks underneath on the pitch, and then back the water content in the guns down during roughly the 2nd half of the run time to get a surface that doesn't ski/ride like 6-12" of glorified elmer's glue when they drop the rope on it before it all dries out.

With all of this natural snow, getting that adhesion between the rocks and the base snow have some different logistical issues to solve compared to past years.

I think they just run the guns extra wet during initial phase. Water leaches down, heavy snow compacts, no issues.

Unfortunately unless they want to hit it this weekend its a moot subject - Mother nature is going to "consolidate" the base next week.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Weekend decisions...decisions...Hunter Saturday might be a mess..but will it be a bigger mess than Mt Snow..hmmm

With 100% of the main face open, even with the Bluebird, Grand Summit, and Canyon lifts running there's still plenty of trails for everyone. It's when they get traffic from the Sundance triple, Ego Alley triple, and people exiting Sunbrook that things can get "tight" even with all the trails open.

drjeff

With 100% of the main face open, even with the Bluebird, Grand Summit, and Canyon lifts running there's still plenty of trails for everyone. It's when they get traffic from the Sundance triple, Ego Alley triple, and people exiting Sunbrook that things can get "tight" even with all the trails open.

With the snow report showing that they've lit up the guns on Cooper's Junction, hopefully that means that they'll get Sundance Lodge open for the weekend, as both another parking lot/lodge as well as getting the buses out of the main lot by where the Moover's pick up and drop off and over to Sundance where they are for most of the season...

FreeRider

Mt. Snow is out of range for me. I'm leaning more and more toward Hunter.

Hunter was good today but if they don't fix the flyer by the weekend forget about it. Lines were lengthy at both b and f lifts and it takes so long.

jaywbigred

Snow report still showing only 38/87 trails open, but I think Dr. Jeff's prior comment might be accurate that certain trails are marked closed because of ongoing snowmaking (and park building as well, over at Carinthia) and not because of lack of snow.

I am hoping for a nice jump in trail count and acreage for the weekend. Wonder if they will get ops going over in Sunbrook to help thin the crowd? One can hope.

Also, interesting that 9 a.m. open sticks through this weekend, that surprises me a bit. Oh well.

drjeff

Snow report still showing only 38/87 trails open, but I think Dr. Jeff's prior comment might be accurate that certain trails are marked closed because of ongoing snowmaking (and park building as well, over at Carinthia) and not because of lack of snow.

I am hoping for a nice jump in trail count and acreage for the weekend. Wonder if they will get ops going over in Sunbrook to help thin the crowd? One can hope.

Also, interesting that 9 a.m. open sticks through this weekend, that surprises me a bit. Oh well.
The video report today mentioned Sunbrook as "next week" so that's more likely a staffing issue for now..

Trail count wise... Who knows, the classic post storm Mount Snow wind that we all know too well may have scoured a bunch of snow off the open trails and into the woods thus keeping some ropes up???

Guess I'll find out a bit after 9 on Saturday. And I did find it somewhat amusing when the weekly email to race team parents came out this afternoon with the training schedule for the weekend, basically saying that they can't remember that the last time there was a 9AM weekend start before??

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

GregoryIsaacs

lol Saturday at/near the bluebird around 845am is going to be one rowdy scene. I may bring my lawn chair instead of skis!

Dr Jeff happen to know what the predominant wind direction has been? :stirpot:

drjeff

lol Saturday at/near the bluebird around 845am is going to be one rowdy scene. I may bring my lawn chair instead of skis!

Dr Jeff happen to know what the predominant wind direction has been? :stirpot:
I'm hoping that at the opening bell on Saturday that they have Canyon, Bluebird and Grand Summit spinning!!

Going to more than likely need all the capacity they have in the base area to get the likely "EPIC" crowd dispersed a bit

kingslug

Looking at the trail count at all the mt's..Mt Snow and Hunter have it. Guess I'll get there early. Haven't been there in a long while.

drjeff

A bit crazy with a line stretching all the way out to route 100 about 8:30 just to get into the parking lots!!

On the hill, actually quite reasonable crowd wise. I was riding the Bluebird all morning while skiing with friends, and waited in maybe 1 10 minute line, otherwise was more like 5 minute lines.

The snow is great! Like Western Soft pack, but you have way more Oxygen in the air to breathe! Still a bunch of untracked spots here and there for a few turns as well.

Gotta get the 2 to almost 6 feet in a drift of snow cleared off of my deck before the wet weather and subsequent freeze up hits the beginning of next week, or else I may not be able to get to my grill on my deck until it all thaws in the Spring after that freezes up!

Pez

Any word when they might open Sunbrook?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Greg

Staff member
4th chair up the bubble. Hit the north face all day except for 3 runs on ledge and one on uncle's. About 4 rides up were a 10 min wait. The rest were sub-5 minutes and many ski on basically. We ended the day right as they closed the bubble. Felt like mid-Feb. Jaws and Olympic were ROTDs. Olympic woods was great too. Cooked!

drjeff

Any word when they might open Sunbrook?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
They were making a big cloud back there today!

My guess is they run the guns as long as they can tomorrow. Shut down ahead of the warm Monday/Tuesday weather system. Let everything drain out for a couple of days and then drop the ropes and open up back there late next week

Pez

thanks.

as long as they have canyon, summit and bluebird running i don't think the lift lines will be too bad today

Jcb890

Yesterday the lines weren't too bad actually.
The parking lot was crazy and the lodge was very busy, but lift lines were never bad.
It still seems very early in the season to be discussing how busy things are, lift lines, etc.

njdiver85

Carinthia line about 10:30 am yesterday was terrible. Singles line snaking up the hill towards the last roller. Long wait times. Heavy Metal not running. Mount Snow sadly couldn't find two people in all their staff to run Heavy Metal. Pretty sad!