• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

njdiver85

The biggest change will be that we're moving away from the North and South lines at The Bluebird, and instead running it with just a Northside line, just like we did at the end of the season last year.

This is a good move. Less confusion for the line attendants. However, they will need to be more vigilant about monitoring the length of the singles line as it starts to spill out past the barn.

sull1102

This is a good move. Less confusion for the line attendants. However, they will need to be more vigilant about monitoring the length of the singles line as it starts to spill out past the barn.

As someone in those single lines it is brutal when they have us pushed out passed the barn out into the bottom of Canyon, I just don't see it being a totally needed change. It really should not be that hard to accomplish pulling from two sides, but I know they tended to pull from the Grand Summit side. I mean at least with the heads up I know now to just always always always make that cut over up above tower 1 and come down on the last little part of Canyon, just a pain in the butt.

drjeff

As someone in those single lines it is brutal when they have us pushed out passed the barn out into the bottom of Canyon, I just don't see it being a totally needed change. It really should not be that hard to accomplish pulling from two sides, but I know they tended to pull from the Grand Summit side. I mean at least with the heads up I know now to just always always always make that cut over up above tower 1 and come down on the last little part of Canyon, just a pain in the butt.

I'm guessing the singles queue lanes will start at 4 wide, and then maybe get to 8 wide if the volume demand is there, and the main queue lanes will occupy the majority of the remainder of the space out towards the Waffle Cabin with a 1 lane wide pass through to get from the Grand Summit side over to the Bluebird queue lanes and vice versa. With the single lanes on the side closest to the lodge like they were when this configuration was used at the end of last season, that also helps prevent people ducking the queue lane ropes to get across to the main queue lanes.

I'll be curious to see how this works out mid season for sure, let alone early season before enough base snow is down to make the entire queue area relatively level verses the slope towards the main lodge that it is before a few FEET of snow are down there to level things out

Last edited:

slatham

That's a lot of people to people to put into a single section on the "north side". I would presume the whole coral would have to shift south to avoid the lines backing into the Canyon lift coral. Devil is in the details.

I for one see no issue, when coming from the Tumbleweed/Sundance lift area, to cut over to the North side of Bluebird. A bit more of a walk from Grand Summit, but I guess if you want to ride the BB vs the GS Express that badly you're just gonna have to stop your crying and walk a couple hundred feet.....

But again I think the main issue will be the volume of people in the area between BB and Canyon. And how scraped off that last section will be.

sull1102

That's a lot of people to people to put into a single section on the "north side". I would presume the whole coral would have to shift south to avoid the lines backing into the Canyon lift coral. Devil is in the details.

I for one see no issue, when coming from the Tumbleweed/Sundance lift area, to cut over to the North side of Bluebird. A bit more of a walk from Grand Summit, but I guess if you want to ride the BB vs the GS Express that badly you're just gonna have to stop your crying and walk a couple hundred feet.....

But again I think the main issue will be the volume of people in the area between BB and Canyon. And how scraped off that last section will be.
That's my real issue, if you're pushing a midseason crowd all to the Northside there must be a plan to shift things around. Surely as much as I don't like feeling like a bowling pin sitting out there in the middle of the bottom of Canyon, I'm sure staff don't want that either.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

That's my real issue, if you're pushing a midseason crowd all to the Northside there must be a plan to shift things around. Surely as much as I don't like feeling like a bowling pin sitting out there in the middle of the bottom of Canyon, I'm sure staff don't want that either.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

Logistically, last year late season when they went with this proposed, Northside only queue lanes, the way they had the lanes set up, and with how long each lane was, they were pretty darn close to the combined length of the North and South side queue lanes, with the singles lane just before it merged with the main queue lane for final pairing before loading not very far away from where the tower mounted fan gun at the corner of the bottom of Exhibition is, so the length of queue lane for the single line was roughly twice as long as when they had separate North and South side singles lanes, which is where the extension in crowded times out towards the queue for Canyon Quad on the Northside and the queue for the Grand Summit on the Southside were..

Now if the mountain could just get it through some peoples heads that just because you go into the singles queue in a group of 2 or 3 or more sometimes, doesn't mean that you're going to get to ride on the same chair with everyone in their party, that would be great! If folks want to assure that they're riding with someone, use the regular queue lane, not the singles lane, as very often there's not much difference time wise for the line wait

FBGM

Any new shiny red groomer purchases this year? I know that 3 of them arrived prior to/during last season, just curious if any more of the fleet will be replaced this year?

That means they would have to pay their bills on time. Heard from a very reliable sauce that kitty cat company came in and almost repossessed all of them a few years back. No payment no toy.

drjeff

That means they would have to pay their bills on time. Heard from a very reliable sauce that kitty cat company came in and almost repossessed all of them a few years back. No payment no toy.
Amazing then if what you describe from a few years back happened, that the folks at Pisten Bully would sell them a 400 park pro, a 600 and a winch cat last season, and then let them use a demo winch cat for the first few months of last season until the one they bought was off the assembly line and ready for delivery. Just amazing that they'd sell them around $1 million worth of new cats after all that... Let alone keep selling Peak Resorts new machines at their other resorts as well

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

GregoryIsaacs

OMG they financed their multi-million dollar equipment then had a bad snow year? Ring the alarm we cannot let them get away with this!

sull1102

Had a great time at Oktoberfest today! Really great event put on by the mountain and was really impressed with crowd size. They had at least a early/late season weekend's worth of people out there, really awesome to see people parking way out at the outer lots just to go drink some brews and ride the lifts. Congrats on a great event today.... Also saw the Pisten Bully banner flying proud at the touch-a-truck/groomer area so seems like that relationship is pretty good, just saying.

Last edited:

drjeff

Any truth to the rumor I heard from a friend today that our beloved, semi hard of hearing, sometimes grumpy long time bartender in the Taproom will be putting his drink pouring talents over to one of the new establishments in the Carinthia lodge this season?

And on a somewhat related note, given the GREAT variety of really good local and national beers available in the main base lodge in the Taproom and Canned and 1900 Burger as well as the Ball wheel, will there be an establishment in the new lodge with a similarly extensive and large taplist?

WWF-VT

Any truth to the rumor I heard from a friend today that our beloved, semi hard of hearing, sometimes grumpy long time bartender in the Taproom will be putting his drink pouring talents over to one of the new establishments in the Carinthia lodge this season?

And on a somewhat related note, given the GREAT variety of really good local and national beers available in the main base lodge in the Taproom and Canned and 1900 Burger as well as the Ball wheel, will there be an establishment in the new lodge with a similarly extensive and large taplist?

Do you go to Mount Snow to ski or drink ?

drjeff

Do you go to Mount Snow to ski or drink ?
Myself, and a good number of my ski friends are the type of consumers ski resorts crave. We buy our passes early, we're there if not every, than most every weekend they're open each season, we spend money on other programs for our kids, we buy plenty of food and beverage from the mountain establishments, we come up and enjoy what the mountain has to offer year round, we bring our friends with us, who spend money at the mountain, and yes, we have a few adult beverages too in what feels to us like our hometown bar. If partaking in the full range of activities that a resort offers makes those of us who do it somewhat less of a mountain enthusiast, so be it. Pretty sure that GM's across the country crave loyal customers who drive revenue on a year round basis, and value their opinion as to what does and doesn't work when it comes to the core crowd

jaytrem

Myself, and a good number of my ski friends are the type of consumers ski resorts crave. We buy our passes early, we're there if not every, than most every weekend they're open each season, we spend money on other programs for our kids, we buy plenty of food and beverage from the mountain establishments, we come up and enjoy what the mountain has to offer year round, we bring our friends with us, who spend money at the mountain, and yes, we have a few adult beverages too in what feels to us like our hometown bar. If partaking in the full range of activities that a resort offers makes those of us who do it somewhat less of a mountain enthusiast, so be it. Pretty sure that GM's across the country crave loyal customers who drive revenue on a year round basis, and value their opinion as to what does and doesn't work when it comes to the core crowd

Drunk rambling again. 😁

Duff beer for you, Duff beer for me, you have a Duff, I'll have one too!!!

drjeff

Drunk rambling again. [emoji16]

Duff beer for you, Duff beer for me, you have a Duff, I'll have one too!!!
If you had any idea how far from the truth that is right now, you'd be snarfing Duff, Duff Light, Duff Dry or Duff Dark through your nose! [emoji23][emoji23]

Tomorrow marks 60 days since I last had a beer, with 15 more to go to win a challenge that my wife put me up to! She didn't think I could make it through our kids fall sports seasons without having a beer!!! Saturday, Oct 27th can't arrive soon enough!! Lol

jaytrem

If you had any idea how far from the truth that is right now, you'd be snarfing Duff, Duff Light, Duff Dry or Duff Dark through your nose! [emoji23][emoji23]

Tomorrow marks 60 days since I last had a beer, with 15 more to go to win a challenge that my wife put me up to! She didn't think I could make it through our kids fall sports seasons without having a beer!!! Saturday, Oct 27th can't arrive soon enough!! Lol

And during football season, impressive!