• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Glenn

To quote Jay-Z himself, "allow me to reintroduce myself, my name is...." Jaywbigred...

Wow, it has been a bunch of years. Since we bought our condo at Mount Snow in 2009, and especially since Mount Snow started offering a Season Passholder Forum (I think 2013 or so) I haven't really used AlpineZone much. But it seems like Mount Snow closed down the Passholder forum after the Vail purchase, and I feel a void in my life! I was hearing bits and pieces of info on the lift shutdown this weekend, and a lightbulb went off "I bet folks are posting on AlpineZone on this!"

Glad to see Dr. Jeff and Glenn still active in here! Cheers everyone!

Welcome back! Good to see you here again!

chuckstah

I'm here today. Patrol said Ridge/expansion for the weekend. Did a quick run down each open trail. All good, but Chute is the place to be. Immature bumps getting carved into soft whales with a 2-3 inch sugar coating. No reason to leave the north face til it's time to hit the car. ChuteScreenshot_20191119-131242.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I know you all hate me and think I know nothing but that lift from day one has been an issue due to the lift maintenance staff just not knowing it. In general that entire lift maintenance crew is very sub par and it’s scary. That new 6 pack is so next level different then the rest of the ancient garbage. It comes down to more training needed. Better wages. Vail will address this.

Actually I think you're very qualified on this matter. You probably learned some ins-and-outs regarding the lift maintenance staff while you were bumping chairs at Mount Snow. As each chair passed the hatred for Peaks within you grew and grew. You become determined to one day be free and share your infinite knowledge of the terribleness of Peaks on an online ski forum. Now your dreams have been answered by Vail, as the Reign of Peaks Terror slowly fades away into our memories, never to be repeated again.

jaywbigred

Actually I think you're very qualified on this matter. You probably learned some ins-and-outs regarding the lift maintenance staff while you were bumping chairs at Mount Snow. As each chair passed the hatred for Peaks within you grew and grew. You become determined to one day be free and share your infinite knowledge of the terribleness of Peaks on an online ski forum. Now your dreams have been answered by Vail, as the Reign of Peaks Terror slowly fades away into our memories, never to be repeated again.
Poetic! Love it.

Edd

Skied Chute on Thursday, which was a lovely day. It was 80% scratch by that time.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

You were there Thursday too Edd? Might have had a chat with you on the chair and not even knew it, pretty few people there.

I skied from about 9:30 - 1:30... Chute was the worst run, the whales were a disaster, scratchy and sloppy

Everything else skied really well. Canyon was a lot nicer than the week before.

Edd

You were there Thursday too Edd? Might have had a chat with you on the chair and not even knew it, pretty few people there.

I skied from about 9:30 - 1:30... Chute was the worst run, the whales were a disaster, scratchy and sloppy

Everything else skied really well. Canyon was a lot nicer than the week before.

Ah, shit, I almost posted in the meetup thread, too. That would’ve been cool because I skied alone. Met a few nice locals in the bar, though.

gorgonzola

Headed there in a few weeks while my wife is doing a PSIA event. One of the days I'm there has $12 lift tickets for Founders Day - is this typically a shit show?

drjeff

Headed there in a few weeks while my wife is doing a PSIA event. One of the days I'm there has $12 lift tickets for Founders Day - is this typically a shit show?

Yup. If the weather is good, it's INSANE. If the weather is bad it's "only" CRAZY.

Even with the capped number of advance sale only $12 tickets, the parking lots and lift lines and base facilities are packed all day

Jcb890

Rode with my brother yesterday from 9-11:45 or so when they shut down Bluebird due to icing up top I guess.
The snow was pretty good... but the weather was definitely not! So much for that 'wintery mix'. It was all rain and lots of it. My layers held up pretty well though. The bubble certainly helped for the lift rides up. We thought about heading over to the North Face, but decided not to sit out in the rain on the way up - figured that would soak us through and end the day.

Long John had the best snow as always, but Canyon was really good also. Good snow too.
Visibility was really flat in some spots. Most of Snowdance had horrible visibility.

Anyone heading up tomorrow (Tuesday)? I am thinking of getting there early and getting a few runs in before heading home for a meeting at 3.

bdfreetuna

^
Was gonna go tomorrow but with the rain and no added terrain since last Thurs, I'm going to take a little Thanksgiving break. NEXT Monday is looking good on early forecasts.

Jcb890

^
Was gonna go tomorrow but with the rain and no added terrain since last Thurs, I'm going to take a little Thanksgiving break. NEXT Monday is looking good on early forecasts.
I don't think the rain did much damage to be honest. It didn't look like it at least. It was cold enough that probably not much loss overall with some ice added. Probably got it groomed out overnight. Tomorrow also looking to hit 40's/mid-40's, so snowpack might soften enough to be fun.

That was my justification at least... :D

gorgonzola

Yup. If the weather is good, it's INSANE. If the weather is bad it's "only" CRAZY.

Even with the capped number of advance sale only $12 tickets, the parking lots and lift lines and base facilities are packed all day

Thanks, that's what I figured. Oh well, sounds like a few runs at opening then bail if it gets too crowded

icecoast1

I don't think the rain did much damage to be honest. It didn't look like it at least. It was cold enough that probably not much loss overall with some ice added. Probably got it groomed out overnight. Tomorrow also looking to hit 40's/mid-40's, so snowpack might soften enough to be fun.

That was my justification at least... :D

Inch of rain coming Wednesday. Gotta enjoy the decent snow conditions while they last

Jcb890

Well, I'm definitely glad I didn't bail on my plan to head up today!

Canyon was buttery corduroy to start the morning off, pretty much hero snow. So good. I ran that back 3x in a row right away.
Rode from 9-12:30ish and now I'm back at home for a few meetings to end the day.

mattskis

Do we think these guys will get Canyon Quad open this weekend? Skiing with my S/o who is a beginner and was hoping for some snowdance access without needing to ski that awesome cascade trail that gets skied off by 930 am.