• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

MommaBear

Effort vs reward question... Wife is heading out of town tomorrow early for work. I was thinking about getting up at 4 AM and getting on the road from NJ for Mt Snow opening....

You will be behind/in the storm the whole way at that hour. Local (CT) forecast calling for the storm to be pulling in to CT midnight/2AM. Starting here as slop. Be prepared for some slick roads between CT and VT.

urungus

4:13 PM FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2018
Opening day is officially at hand as we’ll be skiing and riding tomorrow morning starting at 8:00 a.m.

Last night, our snowmakers were able to make some major gains from the top of Canyon right down into the base area, with our fan guns hammering the trails as the temps dipped into the low 20s. Throughout today, they kept at it as long as possible and with several guns still going as I type this, we can confidently say that we plan to open tomorrow morning with top-to-bottom skiing and riding.

At 8:00 a.m. tomorrow the plan is to begin spinning our Canyon Express and Challenger lifts which will access skiing and riding on Cascade, Free Fall, River Run, and Canyon. While Canyon will be open for skiing, it has had the least amount of time for snowmaking operations, so we recommend using this trail only for access back down to the main base area, and not for lapping. That being said, Free Fall is looking mint! Note: Early season conditions do exist and there will be no beginner terrain available tomorrow. There is a potential for some high winds tomorrow which could potentially cause wind holds, so please check the snow report for updates throughout the day.

For those of you looking to ride park, our Carinthia Diggers have been up building a special early season park over on Cascade Flats, where we will plan to offer 6-10 features depending on how things go this evening. Note: There will be no trails running to Carinthia, so there will be no skier services or lifts running out of that base area to start the season.

slatham

Thanks and yeah I'm leaning that way as well... significantly more effort involved in the wildcat option!

I have not yet, but take a close look at the weather at Wildcat. Mt Snow changes over probably before closing. Wildcat holds snow much longer. Again I haven't looked but you should.....

Smellytele

I have not yet, but take a close look at the weather at Wildcat. Mt Snow changes over probably before closing. Wildcat holds snow much longer. Again I haven't looked but you should.....

wildcat shows snow until after they close. Snow shows mix in the morning and rain after noon.

sull1102

Ouch. No Bluebird, on a day with shit weather very likely (yes could be a magical winter wonderland) that's a really tough decision someone had to make over in West Dover. Challenger might end having quite the lift line, but I'm wondering if tough weather will keep the crowds away. Also wonder when the last time was that it served as the main lift of the mountain for a weekend.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Ouch. No Bluebird, on a day with shit weather very likely (yes could be a magical winter wonderland) that's a really tough decision someone had to make over in West Dover. Challenger might end having quite the lift line, but I'm wondering if tough weather will keep the crowds away. Also wonder when the last time was that it served as the main lift of the mountain for a weekend.

They recommend only using Canyon trail to get back to the base area. So I'd imagine it's in pretty rough shape. They want people to stick to the Freefall or the Cascade/River Run routes I guess.

Idk...models keep trending colder...looks like it will certainly change over but not till noon or later.

drjeff

So the fact that my kids social plans (including hosting a Halloween party tomorrow night for my youngest) now have me not feeling as bad about watching game 4 of the World Series here at my house in CT as opposed to at my condo at Mount Snow!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

Yeah I'm not nearly as bummed about having to work tomorrow as I thought I was going to be. I'll still go over Sunday for some turns though.

Last edited:

Smellytele

So the fact that my kids social plans (including hosting a Halloween party tomorrow night for my youngest) now have me not feeling as bad about watching game 4 of the World Series here at my house in CT as opposed to at my condo at Mount Snow!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Hopefully game 4 gets over before 3:30 in the morning! Stayed up and watch that depressing game 3.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Here now...8am start. Snow and sleet has turned into mostly sleet with some rain the final hundred couple feet of Canyon. Freefall very slick, Cascace pretty good, River run pretty good but crowded. Canyon has the best snow for sure but is very narrow...WROD...

Maybe .5" of sleet on the ground up top. Mixing in pretty well with snow surfaces. Lot's of peeps and it's the typical Mt. Snow crowd...so look over your shoulder :lol:

Visibility is poor up top with fog but is OK most of the way down. Solid day. I'm in for lunch now as I had become soaked. Looks like a much drier afternoon than forecasted.

urungus

Here now...8am start. Snow and sleet has turned into mostly sleet with some rain the final hundred couple feet of Canyon. Freefall very slick, Cascace pretty good, River run pretty good but crowded. Canyon has the best snow for sure but is very narrow...WROD...

Maybe .5" of sleet on the ground up top. Mixing in pretty well with snow surfaces. Lot's of peeps and it's the typical Mt. Snow crowd...so look over your shoulder :lol:

Visibility is poor up top with fog but is OK most of the way down. Solid day. I'm in for lunch now as I had become soaked. Looks like a much drier afternoon than forecasted.

WROD indeed. Bottom of Canyon is in pretty rough shape, given the warmup and rain forecast I will be impressed if they are able to maintain top-to-bottom next weekend.

9CE103F2-0EED-4559-B7EF-A423F2572ECC.jpg

urungus

Despite the photo, there was solid coverage on Cascade, River Run, Free Fall and the top of Canyon though. Free Fall was a little scrapey here and there but I had no problems getting an edge. It is a shame that they groomed out all the whales. I must be improving because Free Fall no longer seems that steep, hopefully I will have the nerve to try Ripcord this year. No wait at the lift lines, but it was a little crowded out on the trails, agree with the comment about looking over your shoulder.

slatham

Fugly. Computer models show a short and marginal window on Monday night followed by more r@*&!! Neither the Euro or GFS have cold returning until sometime around the weekend of the 10th. Now thats a ways away so things can change, but there are lots of indications that the temps will moderate until mid month November before starting a step down as we head toward the end of the month and Thanksgiving. Just calling it as I see it. Not happy about it, except the part where it gets cold going into Thanksgiving.....

sull1102

Hopefully game 4 gets over before 3:30 in the morning! Stayed up and watch that depressing game 3.
Man staying up to 4 was hard, but even taking the L that was one of the greatest ball games ever played by far. What an amazing performance by both squads! Back at it tonight, ride tomorrow, then Game 5 LETS GO!!!!

sull1102

Not depressing if you are a Yankee's fan rooting for the Dodgers!
Nah it's still depressing for a Yankees fan deep down cause your team sucks, has a bleak future at best(Judge was beyond great at the plate and you still sucked) oh and got the bag beat out of them in the worst playoff loss in franchise history on your own field lmao

heiusa

As one of the most successful sports clubs in the world, the Yankees have won 18 division titles, 40 AL pennants, and 27 World Series championships, all of which are MLB records.

Glenn

Nice work Mount Snow! Opening before Halloween is impressive.

What kind of cameras are you using at the mountain? Are the housings part of the camera or separate from the camera?