• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

sull1102

As one of the most successful sports clubs in the world, the Yankees have won 18 division titles, 40 AL pennants, and 27 World Series championships, all of which are MLB records.
And how many in the 21st Century? How many in in your lifetime? God I love you clown Yankee fans. We beat your behinds worse than you have ever experienced in the playoffs ON YOUR OWN FIELD IN FRONT OF YOUR OWN FANS and sent you packing.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

Higgl

And how many in the 21st Century? How many in in your lifetime? God I love you clown Yankee fans. We beat your behinds worse than you have ever experienced in the playoffs ON YOUR OWN FIELD IN FRONT OF YOUR OWN FANS and sent you packing.

Its like France saying they are a tremendous military power because of Napoleon. Forgetting more recent history and the reality of today.

Higgl

Back on track - is anyone there today? I have not heard any reports on how the rain is doing in VT or anywhere else in NE for that matter.

NYDB

You know you aren't on the team right? I think you may be a little too worked up over watching your favorite team and drinking beer.

sull1102

You know you aren't on the team right? I think you may be a little too worked up over watching your favorite team and drinking beer.
Thought we were back on the topic at hand aka Mount Snow, but alrighty then! Another bitter Yankees fan, it's okay man, your team blows and got completely embarrassed on their home field while we are one win away from our 4th World Series win in 14 years. Y'all have won just 1 in that time and the ten year mark is fast approaching on that while the future does not look bright for the franchise any time soon. Also, don't drink much if ever usually just for some apres festivities at the mountain so try again lol

Now on to what people actually came here... Mt Snow was pretty great today given the weather. The snow was really good up top and ultra thin on the last half of Canyon. Not sure exactly how they could reopen next weekend without a pretty good long window to fill in Canyon and the very end of the run-out on Freefall. One interesting note, it looked like there was once a plan to open the Bluebird for this weekend based on my observations. Down at the base the guns were clearly focused on the barn area more than over at the Canyon Quad while up top the groomers had built a nice unloading ramp up and it was ready to go. The summit was done in the normal way to allow for a lot of traffic and options off the BB with the two routes to Cascade on either side of the terminal opened up with good depth.

icecoast1

Doesnt look like much snow making weather until almost a couple weeks from now, but maybe they'll get lucky

sull1102

Doesnt look like much snow making weather until almost a couple weeks from now, but maybe they'll get lucky
I'll say it right now they have no shot of Canyon being open next weekend without snowmaking. Might do a download on it or the BB. that small window in a few nights won't be enough but up top they're pretty deep

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'll say it right now they have no shot of Canyon being open next weekend without a lot of snowmaking. Might do a download on it or the BB. that small window in a few nights won't be enough but up top they're pretty deep

They're gonna need to HAMMER the bottom of Canyon. It will melt-out completely by midway through this week and they'll be starting from scratch. Good news is plenty of snow up top if they want to push it down...

I don't think I've been on such a WROD. I mean...the last 1/4 of that trail was 1-1.5 cat-tracks wide. Crazy. Really nice snow though. I will say between Freefall being slick and fast and Canyon being soft and sping-like...the variety of snow conditions was pretty cool.

I guess when they farm snow in May the "runout" to the Superstar lift at the bottom of Supe is similar but that's flat and short. That's the only analogy I can think of.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Most years the bottom of Bretton Woods first trail open is a cat track wide for a couple hundred yards, water bars not filled in and involves open grass/mud areas by the end of the day.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

crazy

I am getting a bit worried about this weekend looking at the forecast. Tonight and tomorrow night are the only times when they can blow snow before the rain later in the week.

sull1102

Most years the bottom of Bretton Woods first trail open is a cat track wide for a couple hundred yards, water bars not filled in and involves open grass/mud areas by the end of the day.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
Having done BW Opening Day a few times back in 2014 Mount Snow had more than that mess, but not a whole lot more.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Nice work Mount Snow! Opening before Halloween is impressive.

What kind of cameras are you using at the mountain? Are the housings part of the camera or separate from the camera?

Our Somerset Camera is a Prism Cam which is essentially a Canon DSLR camera inside of a heated housing. They work great except when we have snowguns pointed right at them!

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Thought we were back on the topic at hand aka Mount Snow, but alrighty then! Another bitter Yankees fan, it's okay man, your team blows and got completely embarrassed on their home field while we are one win away from our 4th World Series win in 14 years. Y'all have won just 1 in that time and the ten year mark is fast approaching on that while the future does not look bright for the franchise any time soon. Also, don't drink much if ever usually just for some apres festivities at the mountain so try again lol

Now on to what people actually came here... Mt Snow was pretty great today given the weather. The snow was really good up top and ultra thin on the last half of Canyon. Not sure exactly how they could reopen next weekend without a pretty good long window to fill in Canyon and the very end of the run-out on Freefall. One interesting note, it looked like there was once a plan to open the Bluebird for this weekend based on my observations. Down at the base the guns were clearly focused on the barn area more than over at the Canyon Quad while up top the groomers had built a nice unloading ramp up and it was ready to go. The summit was done in the normal way to allow for a lot of traffic and options off the BB with the two routes to Cascade on either side of the terminal opened up with good depth.

We covered the full base area in snow to be able to run the Grand Summit Express for downloading if needed.

sull1102

We covered the full base area in snow to be able to run the Grand Summit Express for downloading if needed.
That leads me to asking What is up with the Bluebird then? I saw a few bubbles over near the shops on Sunday. Also do you see any chance at all to make some snow this week for Saturday/Sunday?

sull1102

https://youtu.be/_B7i2e62dxE put together a short video from Sunday if anyone is interested, with the new Hero7 Black GoPro. Freefall shows up about halfway through. Camera is great, video could be better the lens just kept getting so wet all day. I used the Quik app which sort of just edits the video for you which is nice if you just want something done fast.

Last edited: