• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

tumbler

Yes you still need snowmakers on the hill but you need a lot less with automation. If the gun is completely automated you dont even need to be at the gun to turn it on or see what it is doing. It's not useless at all if you know how to use it

Someone has to be on the hill to make sure the gun is making snow. This is not golf course irrigation, the cold temps would wreak havoc with the automated systems. Like I said my experience was 15 years ago but I cannot imagine that freezing temps, water and electronics all working like the 15th fairway irrigation heads has been figured out.

Glenn

I wonder if the system could be automated to adjust output on a fangun using real time temp and humidity sensors? I would think that would yield some efficiencies.

machski

So with the advances in networking and especially mesh wifi networking it's actually super easy to make a WiFi network stretch over all of Mount Snow. Especially since this network isn't more than an intranet and does not need to reach out to the internet unless they want to get super fancy and control the system from home or a cell phone.

There's tons of advantages to automation already but as we move forward there will be even more reasons to make the switch.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
Ok, Mount Snow may be easier than wifi. HKD has semi auto hydrants which Loon has installed on quite a few runs on the main peak. The problem with just doing that is those hydrants and the guns need to be very close together (and thus, so do the pipes). So if your pipes are set back from the trail edge, it makes it tough to impossible to just switch without moving pipe. Loon's all have short hose from Hydrant head to tower connect and while I understand HKD has a longer automated hose setup, I have yet to see one. And Loon's are all the semi auto type (one lever controls the whole deal).

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

FBGM

I wonder if the system could be automated to adjust output on a fangun using real time temp and humidity sensors? I would think that would yield some efficiencies.

Umm, yeah, that’s what auto is. SMI auto guns / smart snow come progrmaed just like they. You can customize it tonwhst you want for what banks you want on. Real time weather at each gun.

Click click make good snow. Keep the $8 stoned snowmaker out of the equation.

FBGM

Someone has to be on the hill to make sure the gun is making snow. This is not golf course irrigation, the cold temps would wreak havoc with the automated systems. Like I said my experience was 15 years ago but I cannot imagine that freezing temps, water and electronics all working like the 15th fairway irrigation heads has been figured out.

It’s a snowgun. They are meant for cold. Do you think they only work at 65 and above?

Realistically you could have a Skelton crew of 3-4 and run an entire system.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I do think automation will become more popular as we see minimum wage increase. Paying a crew of guys $10 an hour vs $15 an hour is a big difference. Especially when during a week-long deep freeze where you can make snow 24/7... I'm sure guys go into OT then.

I'd also assume less guys on the hill playing with heavy equipment, in negative degree weather, in the dark would be a welcome sight to the liability insurance companies. Maybe they'd help the resorts automate some areas.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Unless automation has come a long way in 15 years it was pretty useless. You still need a snowmaker standing at each hydrant making sure everything turns on correctly and is making good snow. Might as well just turn it on yourself. Plus all the frozen hoses when the drains weren't working or frozen. I'd rather fire up a tower with 15' hoses than watch it try to automatically do it.
Wisp, MD has had a fully automated system on at least part of the mountain as far back as I worked there in 2003. I believe eventually the whole mountain got the system since I left.

I got to see the control room in action. You could turn the valves on and off, pick which guns to run etc, all with a click of a mouse.

http://www.evapor.com/why-automate.html

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

prsboogie

@mountsnow I too would love to know what the plans are for the Snow Lake Lodge.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

slatham

SAM had a recent article on the various state of the art systems and referenced two that were automated: Arizona Snowbowl, which was a news system and 100% automated; and Holiday Valley (?) which retro fitted a couple of high traffic slopes with an automated system. I will provide more details later (I am traveling and don't have the mag with me) if memory serves it was completely auto - hit a button and on it goes, off it goes. Each gun has sensors to optimize output given parameters (wet base snow or dry resurfacing) and given atmospheric conditions at each gun. All pole mounted fans. One guy walks the trail to make sure all is well. For those types of trails - wide, high traffic, core trails, it is the way forward for sure.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
@mountsnow I too would love to know what the plans are for the Snow Lake Lodge.

It's part of our master plan to replace that hotel with another property, but we don't have any concrete details or timeline that we can share at this time. Once we do, we'll be sure to update you all.

prsboogie

Don't worry. It's not going anywhere anytime too soon. Cheap ski and stay specials have many years still ahead of them there.
That's good to here, just needs a facelift. It's the perfect spot.

Jully

That's good to here, just needs a facelift. It's the perfect spot.

Honestly not enough places have a more affordable resort lodging option I feel. It seems to me like a market that's relatively untapped. I'm obviously biased but feel I'm not alone in that I won't make the jump from a $55 / night motel to a $155 a night grand summit but do occasionally jump to $89 or $99 a night for the Snow Cap at Sunday River (only other place I know of that has something similar to Snow Lake).

sull1102

Affordable does not have to mean outdated and dilapidated though. I love the service Snow Lake provides and for the location it is in the pricing and packages are fantastic. My only gripe is that I wish it wasn't so close to me calling it "dumpy."

skifree

serves its purpose just fine. more ski towns need big/cheap lodging. keeps the budget minded people in the mix.
just need a place to s.s.s

Jully

Affordable does not have to mean outdated and dilapidated though. I love the service Snow Lake provides and for the location it is in the pricing and packages are fantastic. My only gripe is that I wish it wasn't so close to me calling it "dumpy."

Fair. The gold standard for my comment I consider to be the Snow Cap in at SR. Definitely not dumpy, just not a grand summit and it is not physically slopeside.