• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

drjeff

That leads me to asking What is up with the Bluebird then? I saw a few bubbles over near the shops on Sunday. Also do you see any chance at all to make some snow this week for Saturday/Sunday?

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
Probably just annual pre ski season maintenance. Usually once the leaf peeping/Bullwheel season is done, they have a few weeks to do the annual maintenance to the grips and hydraulics on the bubble opening mechanism. With opening last weekend just 6 days after the Bullwheel closed it's "fall operations" I'm suspecting that maintenance window didn't pan out like they were expecting..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

Probably just annual pre ski season maintenance. Usually once the leaf peeping/Bullwheel season is done, they have a few weeks to do the annual maintenance to the grips and hydraulics on the bubble opening mechanism. With opening last weekend just 6 days after the Bullwheel closed it's "fall operations" I'm suspecting that maintenance window didn't pan out like they were expecting..

I think they had a couple weeks between "seasons" as I was up there the last day of foliage rides and then they started making snow a few days afterwards saying opening "soon"

Pez

It’s really dumb to waste the time and money on opening in the northeast before the time change.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

sull1102

It’s really dumb to waste the time and money on opening in the northeast before the time change.

Unless you understand the marketing game, then it's a nice boost and when it's only you and the Beast then it's even better. Better than being Stratton not even trying and having passholders talk about it on social media.

sull1102

2 others were open as well
In Vermont you had two, TTB you also had only two although SR I'm sure you could make your way if you were on rock skis. NYC and NJ market is likely not making the trek over to Wildcat or Sunday River. Wildcat had the best offering by a long shot, but still my point is the early season push is for marketing and it works very well for that purpose especially going into ski show season.

Smellytele

In Vermont you had two, TTB you also had only two although SR I'm sure you could make your way if you were on rock skis. NYC and NJ market is likely not making the trek over to Wildcat or Sunday River. Wildcat had the best offering by a long shot, but still my point is the early season push is for marketing and it works very well for that purpose especially going into ski show season.

I agree with your last sentence

Jully

If it was dumb, you'd see fewer resorts being aggressive rather than more. Snow and Wildcat are new players, K took a few years off and is now back. Even after 15-16 resorts continued to do it. Not dumb at all IMO. It should be done cautiously for sure, but I'm real glad places do it and they get my money because of it.

Last edited:

slatham

I agree that (other than for marketing) for areas South and low there is an argument as to whether an October opening makes sense. But not Killington, especially North Ridge. This area is above 3,200’ and extends to 4,000’. The weather up there is not October. They made snow the other day Round the clock when others were shut down, even at night. They have pounded North Ridge, and are locked in. They will not close from lack of coverage. Hell it was warmer last February than it will be over the next week. Then it’s back......

I still find it impressive what Mt Snow has showed so far, and people thinking of winter ski trips are paying attention.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If a resort can cover 5-10 trails before Thanksgiving then they can focus their resources on 5-10 MORE trails for Christmas break when the $$$ is made... this is especially true for the big places like K, Mount Snow, Okemo, Stowe, SR- where even in a decent year for snowmaking they will not have covered all their snowmaking terrain by Christmas week.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com

Bingo! You nailed it. There's all sorts of maintenance and inspections that need to happen between summer and winter operations. Also, for those of you who have asked about the bubbles that are out in the parking lot by lift ops. Those have been temporarily taken off the line for NDT (non-destructive testing) which is part of our annual maintenance plan.

sull1102

Well, we were originally shooting for November 17th as an opening date, with November 10th being our early stretch date.
Oh I know, if anything not even having the main lift all ready for the season makes it more impressive what you did last weekend getting open! How are you feeling about Sunday? Do you think downloading is likely and if so is the bird ready to fly?