• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

mbedle

F*ck me... just got back from neurosurgery apt. and need to have surgery on my back/spine.
Back to square one/ground zero? I don't know. Doctor says rather than being in pain for 6 months and it not healing correctly I should be recovered ~4 weeks after surgery and hopefully back to normal. Not sure when I can be weight bearing yet, etc. Still waiting on follow-up apts. to be scheduled and to hear back today... sounds like surgery next week maybe. Saw the photos from the CT Scan... pretty obvious how messed up my back and those few vertebrae are.

Not going to lie, I'm pretty bummed today.

Really sorry to hear that, good news is hopefully you will heal quicker and be ready to hit it hard next season.

Scruffy

F*ck me... just got back from neurosurgery apt. and need to have surgery on my back/spine.
Back to square one/ground zero? I don't know. Doctor says rather than being in pain for 6 months and it not healing correctly I should be recovered ~4 weeks after surgery and hopefully back to normal. Not sure when I can be weight bearing yet, etc. Still waiting on follow-up apts. to be scheduled and to hear back today... sounds like surgery next week maybe. Saw the photos from the CT Scan... pretty obvious how messed up my back and those few vertebrae are.

Bummer, but at least you have a plan for full recovery. Heal quickly.

Dickc

This sucks, but if he is recommending it, you must have really F***ed things up back there. I have degenerative disk disease, and while I had a great 35 year run after my first back surgery, its just one thing after another now. Do exactly what the doc tells you, do all the PT, and try to do the take home exercises. Once free of the medical world, find a place that does beginner yoga. I should have done that years ago, but I let life get in the way. I know a few people who have done that after a first surgery, and they swear by it. If I can get though with my problems, I am definitely going to find some!

deadheadskier

Staff member
This sucks, but if he is recommending it, you must have really F***ed things up back there. I have degenerative disk disease, and while I had a great 35 year run after my first back surgery, its just one thing after another now. Do exactly what the doc tells you, do all the PT, and try to do the take home exercises. Once free of the medical world, find a place that does beginner yoga. I should have done that years ago, but I let life get in the way. I know a few people who have done that after a first surgery, and they swear by it. If I can get though with my problems, I am definitely going to find some!
Sean Vigue on YouTube is a good place to start for all levels of Yoga. I'm a big fan

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member

Kyphoplasty?

The results from that are usually very favorable. Also a blessing your injury occurred in the Thoracic vs Cervical or Lumbar. Injuries in those areas tend to have greater long term complications.

Good luck. May your healing be Swift and complete

JimG.

Staff member
I've wrecked the tibia in my left leg and destroyed my right tibial plateau and shredded the ACL and PCL in my right knee. All fixed good as new by the good doctors at Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. Still have the metal in both legs.

The worst part of those ordeals was crutch time which threw my back completely out of whack. So I can empathize with your situation. Yoga is a great therapy tool especially to restore flexibility. Lot's of crunches and core exercises are important too. And while some think Chiropractors are ineffective mine was central to restoring my back health.

Stay positive, I know that's hard to do sometimes. And take your physical therapy very seriously. My physical therapist was always worried I was working too hard.

drjeff

As much as there certainly have been some operational issues/challenges multiple times this season, this weekend so far atleast, has been very good and smooth from an ops standpoint.

Crowds are bigger today, and building still, but with basically the entire mountain open and all the lifts spinning and comfortable temps, it seems reasonable

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

As much as there certainly have been some operational issues/challenges multiple times this season, this weekend so far atleast, has been very good and smooth from an ops standpoint.

Crowds are bigger today, and building still, but with basically the entire mountain open and all the lifts spinning and comfortable temps, it seems reasonable

Even the burst water pipe in the Main base lodge about 1 that caused the fire alarm to go off and the base lodge to be evacuated for a short time went smoothy

Jcb890

Being hurt friggin sucks and losing half a ski season makes it worse.

There’s a hundred stories like this on the board. I blew my knee in January about 10 years ago and lost the season.

The back is even worse. Sorry that it’s going crappy man. You’ll get through it. Think about next season.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
I think I got in ~10 days this season and it had been a pretty good season up to that point. I wouldn't say I got my money's worth from the Peak Pass, but at least it wasn't something like the 1st or 2nd time out I guess. My injuries might also not allow my wife to go riding again this season... but I'm hoping she'll be able to get back out again. We'll see I guess what happens after surgery and with my recovery since riding in a car 2+ hours right now is out of the question.

So sorry too hear that.
My back doctor told me that also but I choose cortizon shot which his huge help for me
But definitely not in same position as u
I have 2 slipped disc
My aunt("2 nd mom ��) and uncle where all that about back surgery
And they also choose cortizon shot
I'm happy to hear the cortizone shot worked/helps you out. My damage is pretty bad I guess.

Really sorry to hear that, good news is hopefully you will heal quicker and be ready to hit it hard next season.
That seems like the plan. Surgery should lead to a quicker/better recovery. If I don't, I'll be in pain 6 months while it all heals and it won't heal correctly causing future problems.

Bummer, but at least you have a plan for full recovery. Heal quickly.
Thank you!

Yeah, he showed me the images from the original CT scan and said if I had come to him first he would have suggested surgery to begin with. I have a couple of vertebrae that are a bit 'crunched' (10mm vs. 21mm) and one or two where the angle between the vertebrae is completely f'd. So, that's kind of causing me to naturally hunch over a bit already.

Great point about the yoga. I'll have to look into that. I had been doing all of the PT daily (2x/day) that was given to me. But, stopped after the diagnosis last week. I'll certainly start back up once I'm able to after surgery. I want to have my movement and abilities back! (no pun intended)

Sean Vigue on YouTube is a good place to start for all levels of Yoga. I'm a big fan

Thanks for the tip!

Kyphoplasty?

The results from that are usually very favorable. Also a blessing your injury occurred in the Thoracic vs Cervical or Lumbar. Injuries in those areas tend to have greater long term complications.

Good luck. May your healing be Swift and complete

That may be included, I have to ask more questions over the next couple of days. Essentially I'll wind up with a rod down each side of the spine with screws through the vertebrae to help them heal/strengthen. Not completely sure of the length/# of vertebrae involved yet, doctor needs more/updated CT scans. But, I guess it's as minimally invasive as it gets and I'll have some small-ish slits in my back. I don't really care about scaring, but should be a better/quicker recovery than the whole back being opened up... gross. I think overall I'm pretty 'lucky' even though this is all still quite shitty honestly. I'm able to walk, move all my extremities, etc. so I'm trying to think positive and that I'm lucky to not have more issues.

Thank you for the well-wishes, I appreciate it.

I've wrecked the tibia in my left leg and destroyed my right tibial plateau and shredded the ACL and PCL in my right knee. All fixed good as new by the good doctors at Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. Still have the metal in both legs.

The worst part of those ordeals was crutch time which threw my back completely out of whack. So I can empathize with your situation. Yoga is a great therapy tool especially to restore flexibility. Lot's of crunches and core exercises are important too. And while some think Chiropractors are ineffective mine was central to restoring my back health.

Stay positive, I know that's hard to do sometimes. And take your physical therapy very seriously. My physical therapist was always worried I was working too hard.
Thank you! Trying to stay positive all the time. I had been doing good with my PT, even though it's painful. I'll get back at it and hit the PT hard once I'm able to. Hoping I can come home after the hospital and do out-patient PT at home as opposed to going back to rehab after surgery. But, we'll see.

Question for all you Mt Snow regulars - Thinking of heading up tomorrow (Wednesday) for the day, but according to weather.com see winds from WNW are forecasted to be in the 20-30 mph range. I understand there are a lot of variables here, but does anyone know if this wind direction and speed normally causes lift holds and if so which ones? I'm sure there will also be higher gusts so direction and impact to lifts is my main concern.

Thanks in advance.

drjeff

Question for all you Mt Snow regulars - Thinking of heading up tomorrow (Wednesday) for the day, but according to weather.com see winds from WNW are forecasted to be in the 20-30 mph range. I understand there are a lot of variables here, but does anyone know if this wind direction and speed normally causes lift holds and if so which ones? I'm sure there will also be higher gusts so direction and impact to lifts is my main concern.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, when I see 20-30mph wind speed forecasts, I don't even think twice about wind holds for my home hill. Until the number gets to 40 and above, unless its out of the South and Southwest, it's rarely an issue.

Additionally, there's a very good FB group, Northeast Skiology, where they put up maps when wind holds might be an issue, and they're usually fairly accurate from what I have experienced this season, and for tomorrow, the have Mount Snow in the low risk category, with the areas in the high risk being across far Northern NY and VT

Thanks for the intel. Think I'm going to chance it and ski what's available. Who knows, if it stays cold enough, this storm could be mostly snow!

njdiver85

there's a very good FB group, Northeast Skiology, where they put up maps when wind holds might be an issue, and they're usually fairly accurate from what I have experienced this season, and for tomorrow, the have Mount Snow in the low risk category, with the areas in the high risk being across far Northern NY and VT

Looks like they now have Mount Snow as "high risk" :sad:

icecoast1

Thanks for the intel. Think I'm going to chance it and ski what's available. Who knows, if it stays cold enough, this storm could be mostly snow!

Magic is not that far up the road and will almost certainly have summit access tomorrow

njdiver85

Looks like 20mph winds with gusts up to 45 tomorrow. Any predictions on what lifts will be running?