• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Jcb890

I think they should move the base lower down to increase capacity, They could add another 1/3 of a mile and a trail further to the right, but probably stick with a high speed quad.
That would be kind of awesome.

Little Dipper, Big Dipper or Moon Walk to Moon Beam was fantastic yesterday. Can't help but want some more vert. and at least a HSQ over there though.

I can see why they wouldn't bother expanding until they have snow-making over there, but it might make sense to do it at the same time so you're not laying down snow-making plans for a trail layout which is going to be changing. There is land out past Olympic on the North Face and land outside of the Dipper trails on Sunbrook (width-wise) as well as what appears to be tons of land directly below the current Sunbrook end/lifts. Not sure about the pitch of all of the available land or who might own it, but there is land there for sure.

benski

Treas and moguls make a huge difference at Sugarbush. I am not as familiar with other mountains.

I also find high capacity Fixed grips, such as the North Face lifts at Snow or North Lynx, at Sugarbush, sometimes help a little more than detaches. Its unlikely those area will see more people if detach replaced the current lifts but at least I can sit for longer and the terminal is much more quite. Of course of the Detach gets me up faster I would improve but I am never in a rush to get in line more quickly.

Newpylong

Assuming the Dippers and Shooting Star get snowmaking coverage I think a HSQ (not a 6) to replace the current Sunbrook Quad is a good move. I don't believe extending it will provide any meaningful terrain and would balloon the project cost. Plus you want the bottom terminal next to Beartrap if the goal is to create a busier pod with a yurt that people will actually use. The current lift's vert isn't too high but it is a decent length.

drjeff

Assuming the Dippers and Shooting Star get snowmaking coverage I think a HSQ (not a 6) to replace the current Sunbrook Quad is a good move. I don't believe extending it will provide any meaningful terrain and would balloon the project cost. Plus you want the bottom terminal next to Beartrap if the goal is to create a busier pod with a yurt that people will actually use. The current lift's vert isn't too high but it is a decent length.
100% spot on IMHO!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

mtsnow123

The $17 deal tomorrow is sure to intrigue the masses to come shred. I'd say the best $17 one could spend this winter.

DrJeff, I would love to see what the walkway outside of the Timber Creek condo looks like this weekend!

drjeff

DrJeff, I would love to see what the walkway outside of the Timber Creek condo looks like this weekend!

Wish I could post a pic this weekend, but my crew is going to be over in NH at Gunstock all weekend long for the last races of the season for my son....

While I've been at my condo 2 weekends over the last month, this weekend will be my 4th in a row where I haven't skied Mount Snow due to my kids racing schedule (a day at Stratton, a day at Pico, 3 days at Middlebury Snow Bowl, a day at Bromley and a day at Magic with 2 days to come this weekend at Gunstock)!!! I'll really be chomping at the bit to put my season pass back on about a week from now and get back on my home snow!!!!

Tomorrow is very likely going to be crazy busy at Mount Snow with the $17 tickets, all the new snow, and a decent forecast!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

mtsnow123

And there's potential at the moment for another big storm next week. With the cold and snow together, it's going to be a great late March into Spring April.

dhmcgill87

How far into April are we looking? Assuming below average temps stick around through March as forecasted. Second weekend in april? Third weekend?

puckoach

Was there Monday and Tuesday. Booked on property for Monday night. Given impending storm, I went early.

Tried to get included pass for Monday afternoon. Online and a discussion indicated discount passes for on property stay. Nope. Half day $86.

Very few lifts operating. Trails that dead end to no lift support not marked. Great conditions. Beautiful weather. I certainly enjoyed the skiing. But not the guest relations or half mile walk back to lift.

drjeff

My best guess would be Sundance lodge. Might be worse and ended up at Bears Crossing.

Bears Crossing is well marked at the top, with a sign that essentially says "unless you own one of the condos or are staying at one of the condos in Bears Crossing, this isn't a lift served ski trail"

Sundance Lodge I could see, however in the past when Tumbleweed isn't running, patrol has been good about roping off the section below where Long John crosses....

Option 3 would be that they went to the bottom of Grommet, where this time of year they don't run the carpet but often keep the trail open for hiking access unless they've got the cats pushing some snow for new features, or possibly this week pushing some snow to get it taken apart and back to "normal" size after the big contest that was on it last weekend....

mtsnow123

I can only imagine going to the bottom of the North Face with no lifts. Guess I would take the snowmobile/maintenance trail that brings you to Sundance.

Sunbrook would also be rough, but a short hike up Beartrap hurt nobody.