• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

slatham

Much different animal BUT, Bromley worked hard yesterday (Monday, day of ice) to get the fixed grips open. They put all the HSQ chairs under cover. So by 10:30 today 100% operational.

Of course Magic was 100% at 9am....sometimes the road less traveled is the road to take......

JimG.

Staff member
Much different animal BUT, Bromley worked hard yesterday (Monday, day of ice) to get the fixed grips open. They put all the HSQ chairs under cover. So by 10:30 today 100% operational.

Of course Magic was 100% at 9am....sometimes the road less traveled is the road to take......

Much to be admired about simple.

I'm gonna have to get over to Magic for a day this season.

drjeff

Mount Snow already saying they plan to start Bluebird and Grand Summit Express on hold to continue de-icing. Considering how much time has elapsed, that's pretty pathetic, is it not?
The amended statment later was that the Wednesdsy delay to the Bluebird and the GSE is due to the lightning strike that happened to them in the storm that passed Monday about 3:30PM (I can 100% attest to that storm - it was full bore mid Summer thunder and lightning, but with dime sized sleet instead of rain!!), and from a reliable source a different lightning strike also took out the communications tower near the top terminal of the Sunbrook Quad!!

That was as crazy of a winter weather event as I have experienced in the 17 of the last 19 years that I have been a seasonal and then full owner, Mount Snow regular...

As much as the scenario absolutely sucked, the weather Mother Nature threw a Mount Snow the
Last 48hts or so completely handicapped them!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

njdiver85

The fact that the lightening strike happened on Monday at 3:30pm, and they only realized it 24 hours later that both of their only base to summit lifts were affected speaks volumes to what appears to be bad management, insufficient qualified staff, or lack of appropriate post storm review. I've always been a pretty big Mount Snow supporter, but I can find no reason to give them a "pass" on this one.

I can't imagine that Vail is happy with the negative publicity they are getting on FB and Insta. Hopefully, the lift survey that Vail did pre-season, plus the recent events and the mountain's poor response, will change things for the better in future seasons as changes are made.

Jcb890

The amended statment later was that the Wednesdsy delay to the Bluebird and the GSE is due to the lightning strike that happened to them in the storm that passed Monday about 3:30PM (I can 100% attest to that storm - it was full bore mid Summer thunder and lightning, but with dime sized sleet instead of rain!!), and from a reliable source a different lightning strike also took out the communications tower near the top terminal of the Sunbrook Quad!!

That was as crazy of a winter weather event as I have experienced in the 17 of the last 19 years that I have been a seasonal and then full owner, Mount Snow regular...

As much as the scenario absolutely sucked, the weather Mother Nature threw a Mount Snow the
Last 48hts or so completely handicapped them!!!

Both snow report and lift operators saying today's delay is due to de-icing. I'm a big Mt. Snow fan, but this is fucking pathetic today to be frank.

The snow isn't bad at least but this Canyon Express line is outrageous.

MommaBear

This was posted on Facebook.View attachment 25859

Not saying the lines weren't long, but this picture is a bit deceptive if you aren't familiar with the base layout. The people in the foreground aren't waiting for the lift in the background. The Bluebird lift is to the right. What you see there is a south side corral, a north side corral and the people way back waiting in an entirely different line for the Summit lift.

ski&soccermom

Both snow report and lift operators saying today's delay is due to de-icing. I'm a big Mt. Snow fan, but this is fucking pathetic today to be frank.

The snow isn't bad at least but this Canyon Express line is outrageous.

I agree. Love Mount Snow, but why isn’t Ego running if they knew the day would be starting without summit access for the third day in a row? At least that would have shortened the Canyon line...

drjeff

I agree. Love Mount Snow, but why isn’t Ego running if they knew the day would be starting without summit access for the third day in a row? At least that would have shortened the Canyon line...
They started loading bubbles on the haul rope just about 10 this morning as my son and I hit the Canyon line. Waited 15 minutes in the Canyon line. Rope to the Northface dropped just before we unloaded from Canyon. Took Challenger up, did the Sunbrook pass through (great snow, but the Sunbrook Quad is still in need of some major de-icing work before it's scheduled to spin tomorrow) then up Beartrap and down to Carinthia. Full queue there, but was fortunate enough to catch them opening up an extra queue lane just as my son and I came off of Inferno. Back to the mainbase area to meet up with friends and the Bluebird is loading, with a full "weekend sized" queue - Canyon has maybe 3 or 4 groups in each queue lane. Main outer parking lot by the North Entrance looks to be just about full today..

Jcb890

They started loading bubbles on the haul rope just about 10 this morning as my son and I hit the Canyon line. Waited 15 minutes in the Canyon line. Rope to the Northface dropped just before we unloaded from Canyon. Took Challenger up, did the Sunbrook pass through (great snow, but the Sunbrook Quad is still in need of some major de-icing work before it's scheduled to spin tomorrow) then up Beartrap and down to Carinthia. Full queue there, but was fortunate enough to catch them opening up an extra queue lane just as my son and I came off of Inferno. Back to the mainbase area to meet up with friends and the Bluebird is loading, with a full "weekend sized" queue - Canyon has maybe 3 or 4 groups in each queue lane. Main outer parking lot by the North Entrance looks to be just about full today..

Yeah, that was great they got Bluebird up and running today. What a cluster...

The wait for Canyon was easily 30 mins after 9:30 am or so. Stopped for a bathroom break then just sat and watched and waited for Bluebird rather than sit in a 30-35 min lift line for Canyon.

I heard from folks on the lift today that yesterday there was people waiting 2 hours to get on the Ego Alley lift.

patroller_sam

The fact that the lightening strike happened on Monday at 3:30pm, and they only realized it 24 hours later that both of their only base to summit lifts were affected speaks volumes to what appears to be bad management, insufficient qualified staff, or lack of appropriate post storm review. I've always been a pretty big Mount Snow supporter, but I can find no reason to give them a "pass" on this one.

Hate to keep comparing to Stratton, but it’s kinda easy to considering it’s only twenty minutes up the road.

We were hit with the same crazy weather on Monday as well. As soon as we heard thunder, dispatch was informed and all lifts were immediately offloaded while mechanics raced between terminals to disconnect power/comlines/etc. I don’t think anyone at mount snow considers any of this.

Mount Snow not realizing all of their problems until the morning after certainty goes to show how shitty their management is. I used to be a pass holder there for four years before switching to Stratton, and I am appalled about how quickly their shit is rolling downhill.

Pathetic.

icecoast1

Okemo had the same issues. Didn't start de-icing chairs until 9:30.

Where was savior Vail for Okemo?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Good question, but with your major competition right up the road kicking you in the teeth like they did this week, somebody at Vail surely noticed. Time will tell what happens but I'd be shocked if changes arent made at mount snow once Vail takes full control because they arent going to like consistently getting one upped by Alterra, and this isnt the first time Stratton had detachable lifts going while Mount Snow didn't.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess my point is that Vail is already into their second season at Okemo and they allowed the same issues to occur there as what happened at Mt Snow. Stratton is also a major competitor for Okemo.

Did Killington have any delays on their lifts this week? Other than the power outage caused by a downed tree?

skiur

I guess my point is that Vail is already into their second season at Okemo and they allowed the same issues to occur there as what happened at Mt Snow. Stratton is also a major competitor for Okemo.

Did Killington have any delays on their lifts this week? Other than the power outage caused by a downed tree?

Killington was a major shitshow this week. And it was power outages, the day after the big one, another happened and shut down pico and ramshead as well. They also had there regular lift problems which occur way too often. This holiday week was one that Killington wants to forget.

njdiver85

This was my thought yesterday. Clearly shows poor management and lack of care for the customers. Ego should have been running until they had Bluebird open. Lines were ridiculous yesterday.

Also, insufficient staff at the Summit lodge and Bullwheel opened very late and no food coming out for quite a while. Also no sign posting as to when the Bullwheel was going to open. Line of frustrated people waiting and wondering. Management should have gotten more workers up there and much earlier in anticipation of the Bluebird opening. Yet again, an example of poor management and lack of care for the customers.

Finally, why was lift line management so poor yesterday? Nobody there to extend the ropes at the only open chair at the main base. Created confusion and dangerous conditions with people coming down the hill straight at the crowd. Later, three lifties hiding in the Bluebird shack while chairs going up with empty seats while lines were still crazy. Had to knock on the door to ask them why nobody pairing singles, and then two shuffled out and started actually working.

Mount Snow has proven to be inconsistent and lacking with respect to many of their operations. Some will simply give them a pass, sum it up and blame mother nature for ALL the issues, but that is a bunch of b.s.

Last edited: