• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
1.53 miles from the closest trail to closest trail and 1.81 miles from the base of Sunbrook to the summit of Haystack... according to Google maps at least.

The length of the Bluebird is ~1.4 miles (7,385 ft), so the length of the lift ride wouldn't be that bad. Would it be worth it though is the real question. Any decent terrain over there?

Connector lift? Why not build it all out...as planned in the 80s...

mount snow haystack.jpg

sull1102

Witches would be the main and really only terrain over there that is worthwhile and can be interesting. Its a mini version of North Face if you will. The lower mountain area is a very well designed learning area that would take some load of Long John maybe?

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

We'll get right on that. Walt was actually working on that back in the day, but it didn't get approved for some reason...:wink:

"Considering his 10 year plan complete after only 8 years, Walt Schoenknecht pitched a new 20 year plan following the 1962-63 season. By the mid-1970s, he planned to have 21 double chairlifts, 6 gondolas, 4 tramways, and 6 trail complexes, with the capacity to handle 40,000 skiers per day. The overall estimated price tag for the development was $75-$85 million. As part of the conversation, he suggested using an atomic bomb to lower the base elevation of part of the mountain, in order to increase the vertical drop."

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Vermont/mtsnow.php
So... breaking ground for the 2018 season? :D

Pez

Maybe Peak resorts can buy a bomb on the cheap from N Korea?

Jcb890

Maybe Peak resorts can buy a bomb on the cheap from N Korea?
The Atomic bomb part of the idea won't work. The rest of it I can buy into though. Let's get digging! Blasting is probably OK, but radiation isn't good for anyone.

Any intel on Ripcord, is it bumpy or usaul piles of snow with slip slide between? The Gladiator is this weekend.

drjeff

Any intel on Ripcord, is it bumpy or usaul piles of snow with slip slide between? The Gladiator is this weekend.
Center right was the usual slip and slide on Sunday. Far right, while the rock garden is a semi issue up high on the headwall, and the left side were good, steep bumps....

Arguably in my book, Jaws was the best bump run on the Northface last weekend.... Then again, since Jaws is my favorite run on the NF, I might be a bit biased! [emoji12]

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

chuckstah

Ripcord was dust on crust odd bumps today. Worst run of the day for me, but I'm no bumper. Should be ok if it hits 60.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

mtsnow123

Yard Sale was a lot of fun Sunday. Sunbrook was also a blast Saturday, as no one was over there. Monday was absolutely wide open with some of the best riding I have done with non-fresh snow. I set a personal PR from top to bottom main face in 3.5 minutes Monday.

bheemsoth

We were going to head up to Mt. Snow Saturday for what we expected to be a nice spring day in the 60's. 30's and rain coming off a freeze isn't quite what we were banking on.

Jcb890

We were going to head up to Mt. Snow Saturday for what we expected to be a nice spring day in the 60's. 30's and rain coming off a freeze isn't quite what we were banking on.
Nowhere has that as the forecast for Saturday at Mt. Snow though...

Cloudy and mid-40's or high-30's with rain rolling in later on in the day/evening is what it looks like.
It does sound like tomorrow will be the nicest day though as opposed to Saturday, which is what it seemed most were predicting originally.

asnowmobiler

Was at Mt Snow today. went into the Bullwheel. Is there always only one waitress?

And what time is last call?
we waited ten minutes right against the bar, the two bartenders served two other people and completely ignored us, then they said the bar was closed before we even got one beer.
we got there at 3:10.