• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

GregoryIsaacs

Whats the deal with the grown in "horseshoe" shaped trail near the top of the dippers? Is that an old extension of the haystack ridge trail?

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Whats the deal with the grown in "horseshoe" shaped trail near the top of the dippers? Is that an old extension of the haystack ridge trail?

You stumped me on that one. Let me try to find out. The ridge trail still exists though, but it gets a bit tough in the summer with the swamp in the middle of it. It's a great ski tour in the winter though.

jaytrem

I'm about 90% sure you're correct. The ridge trail existed before the Sunbrook expansion. I remember hiking it a few times before the expansion but that was before google maps, so not 100% sure. Funny, I don't even remember exactly where the entrance was.

laxski

Looking forward to the all-out Snowmaking assault in hopefully late October this year. Any more info about the plan if the weather is good for early season Snowmaking??

drjeff

Looking forward to the all-out Snowmaking assault in hopefully late October this year. Any more info about the plan if the weather is good for early season Snowmaking??
My hunch is another 3-4 trails on opening day... Last year they had an idea of what on paper the system potentially could do in certain temps, but weren't totally sure. Now they have multiple thousands of hours of actual data and air/water flow amounts through their gun aresenal so they can run the system at actual maximum capacity for the snowmaking conditions from the 1st hour or so they fire it up this Fall!! :Snowgun:

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

mbedle

I'm about 90% sure you're correct. The ridge trail existed before the Sunbrook expansion. I remember hiking it a few times before the expansion but that was before google maps, so not 100% sure. Funny, I don't even remember exactly where the entrance was.

I think its called the Deerfield Ridge trail. Looks like it starts just south of Haystack Mountain and ends at Snow.

icecoast1

Anyone that says anything about the weather this far out is only guessing. Just hope it doesnt end up being an EL NINO this winter which is usually bad for us in the east.... they proved last year with the new system that they can be major early season players so I'm sure whenever it gets cold they will be among the first to open

crystalmountainskier

The Sunbrook Lift is the next logical lift we'd replace.

We're also working on some plans to be able to expand the capacity of the existing lifts at the Carinthia Base Area, but that won't happen for this season.

What would Sunbrook be replaced with?

drjeff

From having gotten a look at West Lake this morning after hiking up the Haystack Mtn trail (not to be confused with the peak the summit of the Hermitage is on!) whatever the fall snowmaking rollout plan is, looks like West Lake is full to capacity with roughly 120 million gallons waiting to become snow currently!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

On their message forum, as of this past winter, Nitro will get more chairs, Heavy Metal will likely be replaced with a fixed grip quad (using most of same towers) and Sunbrook a new HSQ.

Nothing concrete there but that was their thought process.

sull1102

I wonder if any thought is being given to another bubble lift in say the next 3-5 years, a quad for Sunbrook maybe, or 6 Pack at Carinthia. Maybe a Killington style move with Nitro moving back to Sunbrook and replace it with the all new Carinthia 6 Pack to accompany the new condos, hotel, and lodge. I know on the passholder forum they have openly talked about wanting to increase capacity over on that side of the mountain. Oh, and I would go bubble only because A. Mount Snow's crowd has demonstrated weekend after weekend they LOVE the bubble, BB can have a 5 minute wait while Grand Summit is ski on and B. Okemo has two, Killington now has one, Hermitage Reborn has a heated one, and a new bubble will help the marketing department 100% more than a regular detachable.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

skifree

without more terrain no need for more lift improvements. maybe sunbrook but really isn't much terrain over there anyways.
too many people on the hill on weekends as is.

I ride with bubble up!!!!

benski

I hope they don’t install another bubble. I liked just having the old one, especially after skiing straight into the grand summit and looking down on the 1000 people waiting for the bluebird.

GregoryIsaacs

without more terrain no need for more lift improvements. maybe sunbrook but really isn't much terrain over there anyways.
too many people on the hill on weekends as is.

I ride with bubble up!!!!

Agreed.. How about expanding off the backside of the mountain, to the skiers left of North Face (think hunter pod)? Looks like it has some great pitches! That would totally make people wanna ski the sunbrook quad

Newpylong

I wonder if any thought is being given to another bubble lift in say the next 3-5 years, a quad for Sunbrook maybe, or 6 Pack at Carinthia. Maybe a Killington style move with Nitro moving back to Sunbrook and replace it with the all new Carinthia 6 Pack to accompany the new condos, hotel, and lodge. I know on the passholder forum they have openly talked about wanting to increase capacity over on that side of the mountain. Oh, and I would go bubble only because A. Mount Snow's crowd has demonstrated weekend after weekend they LOVE the bubble, BB can have a 5 minute wait while Grand Summit is ski on and B. Okemo has two, Killington now has one, Hermitage Reborn has a heated one, and a new bubble will help the marketing department 100% more than a regular detachable.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

Yes, and decided a more effective approach is the aforementioned items...