• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

prsboogie

Honestly not enough places have a more affordable resort lodging option I feel. It seems to me like a market that's relatively untapped. I'm obviously biased but feel I'm not alone in that I won't make the jump from a $55 / night motel to a $155 a night grand summit but do occasionally jump to $89 or $99 a night for the Snow Cap at Sunday River (only other place I know of that has something similar to Snow Lake).

I am a family of four and lodging can be a very prohibitive. We need to have inexpensive options but I agree they need to be clean and not rundown. I love slope side but rarely can I afford more than one or two nights a year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've really grown close to hostels as a single skier. There's a nice one at the base of the Sugarbush access road. I want to stay at Grandpa Grumps up in Jay this winter.

Snow Lake Lodge has seen better days...but it's pretty hard to beat pricewise including a nice continental breakfast, indoor/outdoor pools, and reliable shuttle service to the mountain.

GregoryIsaacs

How does the March 7-9 2018 system stack up with other historical snowfalls? I for one have never seen anything like it in the 20+ years of skiing there

sull1102

I had literally just gotten back to the States on the evening of the 7th from a trip around the EU that brought me to the Alps for the first time skiing in Laax, Switzerland. Coming home to these conditions and coming home to possibly the greatest powder Mount Snow has ever seen was one hell of a treat. You guys were genuinely a world class resort that week! Cannot wait for the next 12 weeks to fly by! I'll take just Long John even right now.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

So a question I have is now that Carinthia is clearly the nicer base area and will be for the next few years at least, has any thought been give to the future of the all park mountain face? I imagine the crowds will be considerably larger with the new lodge being well publicized this summer and new parking as well. It would be a real shame to lose that fantastic set up you guys currently have for the park, but I know there's a plan for new condos coming pretty soon here as well.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
So a question I have is now that Carinthia is clearly the nicer base area and will be for the next few years at least, has any thought been give to the future of the all park mountain face? I imagine the crowds will be considerably larger with the new lodge being well publicized this summer and new parking as well. It would be a real shame to lose that fantastic set up you guys currently have for the park, but I know there's a plan for new condos coming pretty soon here as well.

Our plans for the future continue to have Carinthia build on what it has achieved over the past 10 years, as it's transformed into the #1 rated park in the East. With our Drifter Pass demographic (18-29-year-olds) now being our largest passholder group, we're commited to continuing to provide what they look for in a resort: great events, a diverse apreès scene, and world-class terrain parks.

For those looking to access the Carinthia Base Area, we'd suggest the route on skiers left on Nitro, which leaves a great area to ski or ride down while avoiding the features. That being said, we're also looking to expand snowmaking in the future on to trails such as Fools Gold that could offer a non-terrain park route to the Carinthia Base Area.

Carinthia_8.16_8-2100x1403-0846b261-09c8-49e9-9bb5-6d9c8f264dd1.jpg

Newpylong

Would love to see Upper Titanium / Fools Gold (when snowmaking is installed) remain park free in the future! Would provide a nice way down for all.

Not sure if the topography below Rusty Nail would be conducive to extending that down to Season's Pass to allow for a non-park route off Heavy Metal if and when it becomes a fixed grip quad as well.

sull1102

Our plans for the future continue to have Carinthia build on what it has achieved over the past 10 years, as it's transformed into the #1 rated park in the East. With our Drifter Pass demographic (18-29-year-olds) now being our largest passholder group, we're commited to continuing to provide what they look for in a resort: great events, a diverse apreès scene, and world-class terrain parks.

For those looking to access the Carinthia Base Area, we'd suggest the route on skiers left on Nitro, which leaves a great area to ski or ride down while avoiding the features. That being said, we're also looking to expand snowmaking in the future on to trails such as Fools Gold that could offer a non-terrain park route to the Carinthia Base Area.

View attachment 23968
That's great to hear. It was pretty cool to watch Odesza at Coachella days after they played Mount Snow and then again at Lollapalooza a couple weeks ago. I think the idea of giving up park features on Fools Gold(the top half usually doesn't have any as is) when snowmaking is added is actually a good idea. Overall the minor loss would be fine if it means less people cruising through the parks possibly at slightly elevated risk of collision at times. Plus it would drop folks right at the absolutely stunning new lodge and eliminate that little kicker that on the busiest of days becomes the back of the liftline.

Newpylong

It's a Yan triple so it has to be Sundance, Tumbleweed, Challenger, Ego, or Discovery Shuttle.

Last edited:

Jcb890

Is that a triple?
I was judging by seat shape/indents and it looks like it is made for 3. Just a guess though.

That and the sunset, I was thinking "Sunset for the Sunbrook lift". But wow, I gotta be honest, I thought the Sunbrook lift was a triple, not a quad. So... I lose.