Mount Snow: Inside Track - Page 159

AlpineZone

Page 159 of 162 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 1614
  1. #1581
    Quote Originally Posted by 180 View Post
    Anyplace to get mt snow ticket deals?
    REI has them for $72, which is about the same price as an advance weekend ticket but you have date flexibility which comes in handy.

    https://www.rei.com/product/119862/m...lt-lift-ticket

  2. #1582
    Another epic fail at Mount Snow today! Summit Express went down at 10:45am and now closed for the day. Bluebird starting having issues as well with lots of stoppages and lift maintenance scrambling between the two lifts. Took me 45min to get up to the Summit. Hero snow conditions though.

  3. #1583

    Mount Snow: Inside Track

    The downtime numbers on the Grand Summit over the last four or five years are pretty staggering. I donít have sources on the inside so to speak but Iím so curious if they have been told by Poma or whoever that the numerous repairs theyíve done in that time span were just putting lipstick on a pig.

    Itíll never happen, but grabbing the Barnstormer and moving it to replace Canyon(itís about 50ft shorter, but 100ft more vert). It might just pulled some crowds off Bluebird.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

    Last edited by sull1102; Feb 23, 2020 at 9:40 PM.
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

    www.skibigsquaw.com

  4. #1584
    Quote Originally Posted by Method9455 View Post
    REI has them for $72, which is about the same price as an advance weekend ticket but you have date flexibility which comes in handy.

    https://www.rei.com/product/119862/m...lt-lift-ticket
    Do you get an e-ticket right away when buying from REI? Was going to get one last minute but it was looking like they physically mail a ticket. Thanks



    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

  5. #1585
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Do you get an e-ticket right away when buying from REI? Was going to get one last minute but it was looking like they physically mail a ticket. Thanks
    I'm not sure abt Mt Snow but I purchased Killington Tix ($89) a couple of weeks ago from their store in Princeton. Received the electronic tix right from the REI store, woke up next AM and right to the slopes. I'd assume Mt Snow is the same

  6. #1586
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Do you get an e-ticket right away when buying from REI? Was going to get one last minute but it was looking like they physically mail a ticket. Thanks



    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    No e-ticket, it's a physical ticket and then you have to go to a window.

  7. #1587
    Newpylong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upper Valley, NH
    Posts
    3,162
    Quote Originally Posted by sull1102 View Post
    The downtime numbers on the Grand Summit over the last four or five years are pretty staggering. I don’t have sources on the inside so to speak but I’m so curious if they have been told by Poma or whoever that the numerous repairs they’ve done in that time span were just putting lipstick on a pig.

    It’ll never happen, but grabbing the Barnstormer and moving it to replace Canyon(it’s about 50ft shorter, but 100ft more vert). It might just pulled some crowds off Bluebird.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Don't you think replacing Nitro with it would be a wiser choice? That Main Face already has serious uphill capacity, assuming a reliable GSE.

  8. #1588
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Don't you think replacing Nitro with it would be a wiser choice? That Main Face already has serious uphill capacity, assuming a reliable GSE.
    The reality is, especially if the new "normal" crowds are going to be exactly that, the new normal, in the coming years, and presuming that Vail wants to follow through with Mount Snow's/Peak's plan to expand the snowmaking to essentially 100%, then one could make the case that when the time for replacement/upgrades come for various core lifts at Mount Snow, that upgrading Nitro and Canyon to HS6's, upgrading Heavy Metal to a FG4, and I will even throw it out there that the GSE could even be upgraded to a HS6, isn't that far fetched an idea. Personally Id also love to see them upgrade the Sundance Triple to a HSQ so that folks lapping either Long John/Deer Run or the entire Uncle's/Ridge/Hop/Shootout/South Bowl section of the mountain could do so without having to go back to the main base.

    Add in the probably only a matter of time upgrade of the Sunbrook Quad to some type of highspeed lift, and my version of ski area management "arm chair quarterbacking" of Mount Snow's "needs" easily just spent probably in the neighborhood of $40 million or so....

    All across the ski industry, as many of the lifts, both highspeed and fixed grips that were put up in the late 80's/early 90's expansion boom time near 40 years of service, there's going to be some interesting decisions to make about when and how lifts will be replaced, and if the mountain chooses to use this as a time to re think some of their trail layouts and pod designs to reflect modern use....
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

    '19 - '20 season:

    November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20,25,26 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23,27 (Mount Southington)
    February: 1,2,15,16,22,23 (Mount Snow) 3,5,12 (Mount Southington) 8 (Bromley) 9 (Stratton) 17 (Pico) 29 (Burke)
    March: 1,14 (Mount Snow) 2 (Mount Southington) 5,6,7 (Cannon) 8 (Loon)

  9. #1589
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    7,359
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The reality is, especially if the new "normal" crowds are going to be exactly that, the new normal, in the coming years, and presuming that Vail wants to follow through with Mount Snow's/Peak's plan to expand the snowmaking to essentially 100%, then one could make the case that when the time for replacement/upgrades come for various core lifts at Mount Snow, that upgrading Nitro and Canyon to HS6's, upgrading Heavy Metal to a FG4, and I will even throw it out there that the GSE could even be upgraded to a HS6, isn't that far fetched an idea. Personally Id also love to see them upgrade the Sundance Triple to a HSQ so that folks lapping either Long John/Deer Run or the entire Uncle's/Ridge/Hop/Shootout/South Bowl section of the mountain could do so without having to go back to the main base.

    Add in the probably only a matter of time upgrade of the Sunbrook Quad to some type of highspeed lift, and my version of ski area management "arm chair quarterbacking" of Mount Snow's "needs" easily just spent probably in the neighborhood of $40 million or so....

    All across the ski industry, as many of the lifts, both highspeed and fixed grips that were put up in the late 80's/early 90's expansion boom time near 40 years of service, there's going to be some interesting decisions to make about when and how lifts will be replaced, and if the mountain chooses to use this as a time to re think some of their trail layouts and pod designs to reflect modern use....
    Think what a shit show the trails will be then with all that uphill compacity. Bad enough now.
    Should go the other way and cut capacity. People will stop going and crowds will not be as prevalent after a few years.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

  10. #1590
    I agree - I don't think Mount Snow trails could handle additional uphill capacity, unless you double ski patrol for all the accidents that will take place. Even on the busiest days, I think things are well balanced when most trails are open (wait times, lift ride length, skiers on trail), assuming they have all lifts running, which is a big assumption. Only exception is Sundance Triple, which would be better with less chairs moving at a higher speed.

    Further, I think the ride time length for Sunbrook quad is fine, but the lift should be upgraded to something that novices can get on and off easily. In it's current state, people get knocked down getting on it, or fall getting off the steep and often icy exit ramp, and so it stops often and that increases ride length.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:24 AM.