• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Would be cool if Mt Snow used their new system to build up a Superstar style glacier on north-facing Freefall and give Killington some springtime competition. It would cut the drive time for me in half, and I’m confident I would be able to find some partiers at Cuzzins. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to happen though.

We don't have the right lift system to pull that off. Think about it, if we did that on Freefall, we'd still need to run one base-to-summit lift on the Main Face to get guests up and down, and then would need to run Challenger as well. The economics of late season activities, which tend to be much lower attendence than early season and mostly consist of brown bag lunches and beers on a tailgate, just don't make it viable to run two lifts.

Newpylong

The only area that would fit the bill from an accessibility and trail characteristic perspective is something on Carinthia. Likely Nitro or Inferno. 1 lift, 1 medium length run, close (nice new) base facility, etc. Already a sh*t ton of snow there anyway.

Elevation and direction are the negatives.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The only area that would fit the bill from an accessibility and trail characteristic perspective is something on Carinthia. Likely Nitro or Inferno. 1 lift, 1 medium length run, close (nice new) base facility, etc. Already a sh*t ton of snow there anyway.

Elevation and direction are the negatives.

I second the thought that Carinthia would be a very nice setup for later-in-April skiing. Mow down the huge jumps and features, of course. They used to finish the season on just Carinthia/Long John but it's been years since that setup.

sull1102

I'll jump on the Carinthia spring train as well. I think Nitro/Mine Shaft/Inferno could last quite a while given the right weather. Nitro could last a longgggg time when you spread those jumps out and just keep some rails/boxes out to keep people happy. Although I have seen all of melt out REAL fast before.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

IceEidolon

Once that snow gets skied and tilled, it goes quick. But I'd sure be willing to help ski it away.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

drjeff

The issue, aside from it's elevation (or lack there of) and Easterly exposure in general for the slopes of Carinthia, is no matter which snowmaking trail you'd attempt to go super deep late season on, you've got a couple hundred yard (if not more) of flats to deal with, which would require a MASSIVE amount of snow to go really late on.

Even maybe 4 or 5 seasons ago now when the reopened for one weekend in late April on Carinthia and Beartrap, when they pushed out the jumps on some of the trails to make a continuous run, the amount of snow in those jumps spreads out much "thinner" than many, who aren't in the mountain ops business, thought it would.

Remember, Killington goes LATE with Superstar because the essentially make a depth of snow that equals the height of many of the big jumps at Carinthia, the entire length of the trail!! A BIG difference in the amount of snow Mount Snow produces on any 1 trail at Carinthia

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Keelhauled

Flats just don't last in spring. You're always walking through the Superstar lift maze the last few weekends Killington is open. No one can beat K at the end of the season--you just can't get a better setup than Superstar. Elevation, slope, exposure, ability to stockpile snow, lift access, it's got it all. Early season might be a dogfight when each area has its own advantages, but there's no point in competing for the end of the year.

skiur

Flats just don't last in spring. You're always walking through the Superstar lift maze the last few weekends Killington is open. No one can beat K at the end of the season--you just can't get a better setup than Superstar. Elevation, slope, exposure, ability to stockpile snow, lift access, it's got it all. Early season might be a dogfight when each area has its own advantages, but there's no point in competing for the end of the year.

Don't forget about the ubar right at the bottom and the access road to tailgate on.

machski

New Superstar was built for late season in mind. The trail, Snowmaking line, and lift.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

It's a chilly morning up here today and the storm tonight is looking pretty good for some natural maybe starting around 5 or so and then tomorrow and Sunday let the fun begin with those guns

thebigo

Mount snow representative - you have any idea how the dining cards that were sold with peak passes in the spring work? Is it loaded on our pass? Do we need to pick up another card? Do we have to pick up the card where we bought our pass?

sull1102

Mount snow representative - you have any idea how the dining cards that were sold with peak passes in the spring work? Is it loaded on our pass? Do we need to pick up another card? Do we have to pick up the card where we bought our pass?
Check out the passholder forum, Jamie was in there answering questions about those a little while back just before they opened.

sull1102

Winter has arrived! Roads are closed up out of Woodford and there's already five inches of fresh snow on the ground in Searsburg so I imagine Mount Snow has that at least!

jaytrem

They will be a separate card that you can pick up at the Season Pass Office.

Just a note, as of yesterday they were not available for pick up. Still waiting for cards to show up, or something like that.

Quietman

Now I am not on Facebook, and it takes a lot to get me to laugh, but I was bored and was looking at Mt Snow's facebook page and saw this response regarding Mt Snow getting tops in the east rankings from Ski Mag. Cracked me up!!! No need to start a flame war about the rankings, but that response was great!

Steve Stankiewicz: Really? Wonder what place Jay got

Mount Snow: a FOR SALE sign...

slatham

Mt Snow I think your snow stake thermometer is broken. I doubt its 30 at 8:25am today. Your weather station on WU shows 11.....