• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pre-Xmas/Xmas week weather

skiberg

The more I read from reliable sources, the more certain it appears that we make break the 6 year streak of warm and poor Christmas weeks. It is loaded up and there appears to be opportunities for storms a few times p week until the end of the year. Even if we only strike gold on 50% of these, we should be in good shape for the holiday. Lets just hope we don't get an Inland runner.

Higgl

The more I read from reliable sources, the more certain it appears that we make break the 6 year streak of warm and poor Christmas weeks. It is loaded up and there appears to be opportunities for storms a few times p week until the end of the year. Even if we only strike gold on 50% of these, we should be in good shape for the holiday. Lets just hope we don't get an Inland runner.

Has it really been 6 years of warm christmas weeks? Last year we had the new years day storm, but I don't remember the week before it... probably means it was warm haha.

crank

Last year we got a foot of snow on the Thursday between Christmas and New Year.

Glenn

The later part of this week is looking so-so at best. But things may call off next week.

yeggous

The later part of this week is looking so-so at best. But things may call off next week.

Depends where you ski. I've put out my initial forecast blog post. Northern New Hampshire and Maine look to come out ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glenn

Well, some good news if it snows on Christmas in the mountains!

mikec142

Ugh...planning on skiing Sugarbush and Stowe over 12/24-27. Concerned.

slatham

Forecast for Friday/Saturday colder than what yeggous posted from yesterday. Even SoVT could be looking at 4-6"+ before change over Saturday morning. Then it will in fact experience non-frozen, but it will be cold and quick. Net gainer north of I-90.

Then we await a Christmas miracle? Euro is now optimistic, 2 runs in row. Still 5 days out though.

And yes I would say the last 5 Christmas breaks have experienced unfavorable weather at some point, even those that had good starts. Last year there was non-frozen precip and warmth leading up to the holiday's before cold and snowmaking made it OK and then the Thursday storm made it good.

Glenn

NWS Albany is calling for 3-6 in SoVT with some isolated areas seeing 8" of snow. This is based on the 6:15AM Forecast Discussion. One thing to be mindful of on Saturday is the icing. They're now saying SoVT 1/10" to .25" of icing before it changes to rain. Could make driving a challenge and certainly would have and effect on lift ops.

Not much info right now on the Christmas storm. Looks like they're waiting for the Euro and the GFS to come into better agreement.

NYDB

OK. I was getting a bit excited. 8'' then. Should cover alot of the rocks and such with that coating of ice/rain on top.

and then hold your breff for The 'Festivus Miracle Storm'.

Glenn

I think we're all excited for two potential storms close together!

Glenn

About 1.5" on the ground so far in SoVT. Should start picking up soon.

Heading to the mountain in a bit...

WWF-VT

14 degrees, 8" of snow and it's still coming down at 10 PM on Friday night here at the base of Mt Ellen

Glenn

NWS Albany has put up maps on their winter weather page showing 8" of snow from tomorrow night into Christmas Day. That should help negate the freezing rain that's falling right now.