• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bretton Woods to install Gondola

drjeff

Year round weeding and events functions in the if I recall reading on a different article about it, enhanced lodge, will likely pay for this lift in not too many years. Having been a part of a few decent sized family reunions at the Mount Washington Hotel over the years, they put on a GREAT event for guests and groups, and it's not a cheap event either. Add in the views at elevation of Mount Washington on a clear day, and I can fully see the year round event appeal of this, with use as a ski lift, maybe almost a secondary function of this lift...

VTKilarney

From the article:
"Fayban’s top terminal will be moved downhill..."

That's the only thing that I don't like about this. While I am not a fan of Fayban's Express in general, since it is anything but an "express", it's still a bummer to see a chair lose vertical.

I wonder what the ROI is on this $15 million project.

Edd

I don’t have a BW pass this year, but I usually do. Ski-wise, a gondola provides virtually no benefit to that mountain but I wish them luck with it in the off-season.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

eatskisleep

From the article:
"Fayban’s top terminal will be moved downhill..."

That's the only thing that I don't like about this. While I am not a fan of Fayban's Express in general, since it is anything but an "express", it's still a bummer to see a chair lose vertical.

I wonder what the ROI is on this $15 million project.

that lift is a savior on a busy day. Best kept secret.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
They're trying to compete with Bellayre to see who can waste the most $$$ on a pointless gondola.

Weddings in the summer? That logic works for most ski resorts. But most ski resorts don't have a premier hotel like the Mount Washington hotel at the foot of their mountain. I'd imagine that generates good wedding business, yes? That's me speculating though...

deadheadskier

Staff member
The MWH probably books up for the season and this just adds another venue for events.

With how busy the MWV is in summer I bet that Gondola attracts a decent crowd

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

DoublePlanker

They're trying to compete with Bellayre to see who can waste the most $$$ on a pointless gondola.

Weddings in the summer? That logic works for most ski resorts. But most ski resorts don't have a premier hotel like the Mount Washington hotel at the foot of their mountain. I'd imagine that generates good wedding business, yes? That's me speculating though...

The MWH and Bretton Woods are both owned by Omni. So the MWH wedding could also use this gondola in theory.

drjeff

Thought they replaced the gondola cars a couple of years ago with standard sit down options

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
Yup, they put new, 8 seater cabins on a couple of years ago. Really tapered bottom half of the cabin almost makes it more like 3.5 seats per bench than 4 if all adults are riding it. Better than the old cabins for sure, but not as roomy inside as say the gondola cabins at Killington

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

my main gripe about the godola at stratton is it's on wind hold 1/2 the time.
When I was riding it last weekend, amazingly enough it was actually running at "full speed" - still not very quick by today's standards though!!

A patroller who was in the gondola with me one of the times I rode it last weekend said the joke they like to tell is that when a mouse farts over at Bromley, the Stratton Gondola has to go on reduced wind operation speed!! [emoji12]

Edd

A patroller who was in the gondola with me one of the times I rode it last weekend said the joke they like to tell is that when a mouse farts over at Bromley, the Stratton Gondola has to go on reduced wind operation speed!! [emoji12]

That’s how I see the Chondola at SR. Seems like anything will make that thing run slower. That’s the slowest high speed lift I’ve ever seen.

sull1102

As a guy over six feet tall, I LOVE the cabins at Stratton compared to the old K gondis. Only ride there midweek typically so crowding isn't an issue, but I will say it runs slow as hell even on a good day. The Bluebird down the road at Snow is better by a wide margin.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app