• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Southington 12/19/17

ctenidae

It's been so long since I've been able to go skiing, and so long since I've even been to AZ, I just have to post this trip report.

I took the kids (4 and 6) to Mt Southington for their first ski day ever. I'd heard nothing but good things (all proven true) about the ski school, and it's about an hour away, so seemed perfect. Tuesday was an absolute perfect day- sunny, warm but not hot, and the power of Southington's new snow guns was apparent- conditions looked pretty darn good, especially for this early in the season. Guy in the ski shop said there were 8 million gallons of water on the mountain.

Kids had a 1-hour lesson with Emily (super nice and really good with the kids), at the end of which, they were lapping the magic carpet on their own. They started to get whiny after about a half hour, especially the 4 year old, who complained her feet hurt. We went in for lunch, and about 2 chicken tenders later, they were itching to go back out. Having two friends with them helped, I'm sure. We went back out and they spent almost 2 hours, with the 6 year old starting to almost, if accidently, link turns. I think that, if I'd had my skis on, I could have gotten him on and off the chairlift. Which would have made my day even more.

Which gets me to my skis. As some of you know, I used to ski quite a bit, but it's been about 7 years since the last time we had a good season. Dang kids. Monday night I was gathering my gear, and went to put my boots on, but my heel kept getting stuck, pulling the liner down. Pulled my foot out, and found the gel in the liners had basically leaked into the fabric, making them a sticky gummy mess. So, I didn't bring my skis with me, since I had no boots. By the time the kids were clearly having a good time, getting rentals didn't make much sense, so my first day of skiing was spent in shoes, but I had a fantastic time. Kids kept asking to go back out tomorrow, so hopefully I managed to do something right with them and get them hooked early.

Overall, I give Mt Southington high marks for the ski school and their willingness to blow snow. Can't say much about the rest of the mountain, but the learning area looked great.

Glenn

I taught my wife and sister inlaw to ski there. A good friend of mine learned to ski there....in his 50's. I haven't been back in a few years, but it's a fun spot.

Glad the kids had fun! That's some motivation to get new boots!

Great report.

Warp Daddy

C10 welcome back , sounds like a great day and those of us who are dads relish this kind of joy ! Now go get yourself a Christmas present and start enjoying the great adventure and memory creating enjoyment of skiing with them as they develop .

THEN some day skiing with your grandchildren is a capstone event . Now THAT is pure heaven and fortunately i have been in that stage for damn near two decades ! Our eldest grandson now 23 started at 3 the others are soon 21,18' and 18

Merry Christmas !
w

ctenidae

Got new boots (Salomon X-Pro 90's), had to adjust the bindings myself, since the shop wouldn't touch them. Sub-Arctic temps this week aren't helpful, but the kids are geared up and excited, so we're slated for Friday and Sunday.

Warp, being a granddad was my primary motivation for fatherhood! I can't think of a better job. I'm happy enough with getting the kids on skids for now, though. And I'm pleased to announce there's a third on the way, due in June, so hope my wife can get at least a few good days in before she calls it.